Drivers door wet at bottom of inner door material

GeorgeBoxster

Guy's i'm having a "pulling my hair out" problem. 987.2 Boxster.Bottom of the drivers door is soaking wet after raining just at the bottom of inner material on door card. .Had a new internal door seal and membrane fitted but still the same.Anyone had or experienced this before ? or know of a solution.Any pointers MOST welcome

Who fitted the door membrane? Did they know what to do? It does sound like it's still failing.

Could the water be coming from under the door? Do you park on a sideways slope?

7 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Who fitted the door membrane? Did they know what to do? It does sound like it's still failing.

Could the water be coming from under the door? Do you park on a sideways slope?

It was my local independant who i use and totally trust 

Try putting some newspaper under the door on the inside, then spray water on the window outside. Is the water making it way to the bottom of the inside of the door i.e. bypassing the membrane. If so then there's still some work to be done to effect a seal.

Put sheets of toilet paper in strategic places on and around that door, and see which gets wet.

Also, make sure the three drain holes in the bottom of the door are clear.

I have the same issue, wet seatbelt and carpet behind the drivers seat, been racking my brain as all drains are clear, roof is all proper, isn't soaked but definitely wet. I didn't think to touch the driver's door carpet, but just happened to reach for a dropped wallet and noticed it was soaked.   

It had the door card off at an indy approx a year ago (before my ownership) to replace the door lock mech. I'm guessing the indy haven't replaced the door card properly and coupled with curb parking and the car being angled has led to water getting through into the cabin. 

Another job to do and no days off in sight.

54 minutes ago, in_dellible said:

I have the same issue, wet seatbelt and carpet behind the drivers seat, been racking my brain as all drains are clear, roof is all proper, isn't soaked but definitely wet. I didn't think to touch the driver's door carpet, but just happened to reach for a dropped wallet and noticed it was soaked.   

It had the door card off at an indy approx a year ago (before my ownership) to replace the door lock mech. I'm guessing the indy haven't replaced the door card properly and coupled with curb parking and the car being angled has led to water getting through into the cabin. 

Another job to do and no days off in sight.

You have more than door card issue there if seatbelt is wet.  Remove your carpeted upright pillar bit by seat belt ( easy job, one screw hidden in carpet and then just unclips.  Move your roof half way back, and check your drip tray is tucked in all way round where pillar is.  Then check inside for tears where push rods have failed in past.  That will be your issue.

35 minutes ago, Kjb1 said:

You have more than door card issue there if seatbelt is wet.  Remove your carpeted upright pillar bit by seat belt ( easy job, one screw hidden in carpet and then just unclips.  Move your roof half way back, and check your drip tray is tucked in all way round where pillar is.  Then check inside for tears where push rods have failed in past.  That will be your issue.

Thank you @Kjb1 I Will check. Hopeful it's just the door card as just the lap belt is wet. But can never be too careful and whilst I'm there, may as well kill two birds. 

• 1 month later...

Wet at bottom of door car will either be the card studs at the bottom are not pushed in properly (they form part of the waterproof seal at the bottom of the door card) or the membrane has not been fitted properly.

To check which it is remove the door card and poor water to outside of the window. If the water seeps through the bottom of the metal membrane it's the membrane seal issues, however if it only comes out of the holes where the door card studs push in then these have likely not pushed in correctly. They are cheap from an opc, x9 per door card but only the bottom ones can cause this problem.

Best way to check is to remove the door card, which is very easy to do. Check all nine clips are present and the seals on them are not damaged. 

Then cover up the holes where all the clips would clip into with some tape - insulation tape is ideal. 

A quick blast with a hose or a jet wash whilst you're sitting in the car will quickly reveal where the water is coming in. 

In saying all that, if your indi fixed it, it should go back to them. 

Archived