transferred my key to new shell now wont start!!

pjs75

I am a first time owner of a boxster 2.7 (2005) and lack any technical knowledge (not a good combination I hear you say!). I bought my car 12mths ago - all has been fine and I have had some cosmetic work done recently by Eporsch (all good) but mainly catches, switches, hood repair etc....

I decided to do some DIY myself on the keys. On both sets the housings are cracking and keep falling apart so I bought a new casing off the internet and, for one sets of keys – moved across all the circuit board and key blade and the transponder. I didn’t touch the second key at all.

Issue

I then tried to start the car – worked first time as in it started. After that, when I put the key in nothing – no dashboard lights or anything. I tried the second original key (that has NOT been touched). That is the same?

What works

On both keys – door locks and unlocks from the fob, both boots open off the remote

Headlights and interior lights come on

What doesn’t work

Radio (which was fitted two weeks ago!)

No dashboard lights come on when you turn the key - absolutely dead

The key, after several attempts, now gets stuck in the ignition when you put it in and I have to use the pin hole on ignition switch to extract it.

Checks

The battery seems fine, it was c50% charged and I put a charger on it to get that up

What is it?

Have I done something by taking transponder out that would reset the pairing to the car? Does that explain why radio doesn’t work or have I fused something? What checks can I take before I have to start paying out big money to get this checked over? I have spent £2,700 on it recently with combination of upgrades, tyres and radio so reluctant to start spending out again if I can help it BUT it would be nice to be able to drive it? Would detaching the battery do anything by way of a reset?

anyone have a suggestion of checks I can go through - any help really appreciated. Cheers Paul

Car is 2005, 75k miles.....Full Service History.

within the old key fob is a tiny transmitter - (its an immobiliser) you need to remove this from the old key and add it to your new key - its GLUED IN so be very careful - but I have done it before and it's pretty easy

It looks like a little plastic cube in the depths of the old plastic housing of your key fob 

thanks Khusy - I have removed the transmitter already - wasn't easy because, as you, its firmly glued into a very tight plastic housing. I am hoping that I didn't damage it in the process. However, if I did, doesn't explain why the other key isn't working????

Eporsch are well respected. If you've spent money with them they may give you 15 mins of thoughts over the phone?

Does sound like the car's been immobilised.

Are you sure the other key worked before? I've heard of when an key unused for months is eventually used it is found to be "dead".

cheers chaps - just checking on the radio situation - does that only get powered on first stage of ignition hence that not working?. I thought it could get turned in without ignition key in - if so might suggest another issue?

Ignition switch was changed between earlier and later cars, as mine is a 2008 987.1 and can’t change mine easily, but not sure if that was exactly at the same time as the 986/987 change or not. Worth looking into but it doesn’t sound like the prime suspect to me. 

Radio is “smart” - stays on for a while with ignition off - 20 mins or so - so I assume in that time it can be powered off/on. Not sure if it goes to permanent sleep after a while but it’s possible. 

If not ignition switch then I would go for battery next (especially since it’s doing the key grab - that’s a flat battery symptom)  boxsters are very sensitive to low battery conditions. If you can get it on a charger (not a conditioner) for a few hours it may help - also - if the battery is in anyway suspect - get the frunk open while you still can.

5 hours ago, Paul P said:

Radio is “smart” - stays on for a while with ignition off - 20 mins or so - so I assume in that time it can be powered off/on. Not sure if it goes to permanent sleep after a while but it’s possible. 

If not ignition switch then I would go for battery next (especially since it’s doing the key grab - that’s a flat battery symptom)  boxsters are very sensitive to low battery conditions. If you can get it on a charger (not a conditioner) for a few hours it may help - also - if the battery is in anyway suspect - get the frunk open while you still can.

I'll go for the battery as well. 

If you've been working on the car with the doors open then it can run the battery down quite quickly. 

thanks all for advise on this - I spent the weekend having a look. The battery was fine, I then checked all the fuses. I took out the one in the top right labelled "404" - on putting that back, all was fine. It initially came up with a warning light of "PSM Failure" - but that went as soon as I had driven for 1 minute (I read on another thread that others have experienced this warning light that when changing fuses or disconnecting the battery).

my only outstanding challenge now is the key still gets stuck in the ignition so I am currently having to release it by pushing the button on the ignition barell  - not sure if anyone has any suggestions for that or is it simply that the ignition barell has gone?

Good that it’s running now for sure

PSM warning is usual for a battery disconnect/reconnect. 

The key grabbing could be a physical issue for the barrel for sure but if it were me I would get it into somewhere that can scan it in case there is some electrical gremlin in play. 

Archived