R888 tyres

Lennym1984

Hi

Is anybody running these on a 986 and if so what modifications did you have to do? I have heard that sticky tyres can create oil starvation issues so interested to hear who is currently using them. 

These will be solely for track days so not to worried about wet performance, noise etc

We race with them. You’re right to worry about oil starvation - most cars do fit a baffled sump.

4 minutes ago, spyderman8 said:

We race with them. You’re right to worry about oil starvation - most cars do fit a baffled sump.

Do you have any recommendations for the baffled sump? There seem to be a few options out there

As @PaulQ has pointed out I do use R888R tyres on my 986S.

Only once had an oil "moment" with them and that was at Bedford chasing a VX220T around the circuit at a fair old clip.  Fast left-hander and the oil made for the AOS which then vented it - was a bit of a shock but no harm done. 

Have since done quite a bit of engine work carried out and installed the LN Engineering deep sump - greater capacity, windage tray and baffled - so not expecting a repeat of the Bedford experience.

@Lennym1984 Porsche do a baffle that goes straight onto the 986 sump pan - haven't got the part numbers to hand but if you ask the OPC for the X51 Sump Baffle it's readily available and relatively inexpensive. Make sure it's the right one for a 986 as the 996 engine is reversed compared to the Boxster.

I don't track my car but have the Michelin Cup2s. No sump mods but enough suspension mods. Doubt I would ever encounter many back to back long radius corners on the roads even if driving all day. 

Archived