Looking at a 981 S

G2JRP

Hi, I am looking a 981s for the wife to replace her current 987, some question if anybody could help, 

the one I am looking at has Porsche approved warranty as sold by them last year but one of the prior services is from an independent, is the warranty still valid? I thought it had to have full porsche history to qualify.  It’s an 2012 with only 22k on the clock but 5 owners is anything to worry about? Is the standard stereo any good? Is there a website to find out option from the VIN?

sorry for all the question.

Thanks

Jonathan

Having a service at an independent does not invalidate the warranty as such (which service was it?) but you have to be able to show genuine Porsche parts were used.

The standard stereo has various upgrade options  Basic-> Sound Plus-> Bose -> Burmister Etc.   I don’t think any of the first three options could be considered Great.  If in car music is important to you then the first two options might not be adequate for you.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Having a service at an independent does not invalidate the warranty as such (which service was it?) but you have to be able to show genuine Porsche parts were used.

The standard stereo has various upgrade options  Basic-> Sound Plus-> Bose -> Burmister Etc.   I don’t think any of the first three options could be considered Great.  If in car music is important to you then the first two options might not be adequate for you.

and done to Porsche standards which is disputable maybe (even if they were)

as far as sound goes bose is excellent IMO

2 hours ago, G2JRP said:

Is the standard stereo any good? Is there a website to find out option from the VIN?

I don't think there's an easy way to find out the options from the VIN, unless you can persuade the original OPC who sold it to dig it out for you (suitable anonymised) - it seems that some have managed this whereas others have been turned down.

You might find it useful to download a copy of the appropriate-year UK brochure to find out what was in the standard spec at that time (it changed a year or two later so younger 981 cars will differ), and you may be able to work out a lot of the options by looking at the seats, centre-console switches etc. Try about halfway down the following webpage - you may need to register free on the website first, but I think it'll be the 11/2011 brochure you want: https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/catalogues/ 

If you can post decent photos on here including of these areas, you'll find some of the keyboard sleuths on here will be able to work out a lot of the options for you :) (Though some of the options will be hard to identify without eg delving into some of the on-screen displays.)

Re the stereo, it may help to understand that there were some options which gave you more facilities with how you played music and what sources you could use (CDR/PCM, CD/DVD changers, DAB, phone connectivity options) and others that affected the actual reproduction of the audio by different amp, processing & speakers (Sound Package Plus, Bose and later, Burmester). For me Bose is perfectly decent but I don't know what the cheaper options sounded like (and the Burmester system would have been nearly £2000 more than Bose, so I'd never have paid for that!)

6 minutes ago, G2JRP said:

Thanks for the reply’s, the car does look to have a GTS rear diffuser, would this have been an option? 

Not an option on the earlier cars, only when the GTS came out. You could have the front and back GTS look. Several members on here including me have the GTS rear diffuser which can be purchased separately. 

1 hour ago, G2JRP said:

Another question, are the standard lights any good as the ones on my wife’s 987 are not.

Maybe not an apples for apples comparison, but I specced my 718S with standard lamps, and the Macan with the swiveling LEDs. The thinking was that the 718 is mainly used in daytime (which I now no not to be the case...) whereas McCan is used much more in the winter, especially as I travel a lot in the late autumn / early winter for work.. The LEDs are in a different league. They light up the next county and I would spec them in a heartbeat in any new purchase and just suck it up cost wise.

1 hour ago, G2JRP said:

Another question, are the standard lights any good as the ones on my wife’s 987 are not.

The standard headlights on the S are Xenon but not autoleveling, hence they are limited to 25W so not as bright as if you have PDLS (they then have 35W). However they are decent enough, much better than most standard halogen lights (I’m not sure what is on your 987).  Standard lights on the base 981 are just halogens.

6 hours ago, Greenman said:

The standard headlights on the S are Xenon but not autoleveling, hence they are limited to 25W so not as bright as if you have PDLS (they then have 35W). However they are decent enough, much better than most standard halogen lights (I’m not sure what is on your 987).  Standard lights on the base 981 are just halogens.

Got standard light on our 987 we had litronics on our 986 and they were a lot better. I just want to understand if they are better than the standard 987 lights, thanks

Archived