PDK ‘clunk’ changing into 1st gear when cold?

noggieboxa

Maybe I’m being paranoid.... But I’m definitely noticing a slight ‘clunk’ from the PDK, on my 2014 981S, when it changes down to 1st gear, when the gearbox is cold.  Everything seems to be kosher once the gearbox has warmed up.  The car is relatively new to me - and I’m not hugely concerned as the car is covered by OPC warranty, but...........  Has anyone else noticed the same?  Comments/observations gratefully rx’d. Ta.

I find mine a bit lumpy when cold. (987.2) and I would say Depends on the clunk  level. 2 to 1 isn’t particularly smooth on the pdk especially if you were accelerating then slowed. The gearbox has prepped 3 and then you need 1

stop go traffic when it grabs 2nd and then you slow again is probably it’s achilles heal as far as smooth goes. 

In slow London traffic I tend to use manual shifting as the gearbox doesn't like slow moving start stop changes. 

When cold , it can be a bit lumpy but so is my BMW ZF gearbox which is sublime after a couple of miles

A dual clutch in general will not be as smooth as a torque converter auto, especially when cold, mine sometimes has a couple of jerky/clunky low speed changes when cold, but is fine when warm.

But also as Paul says. Be aware if you confuse the box by not doing what it expects you can get a slow/jerky change, it does tend to get it right 95% of the time though, again it’s just one of the compromises of a dual clutch.

Mine (32k miles) always clunks slightly when changing into first (auto mode) at slow speed. It also whines when trundling along in second. Always has done. "Nothing to worry about, they all do that sir".

On 7/16/2019 at 9:18 PM, Pinewood said:

In slow London traffic I tend to use manual shifting as the gearbox doesn't like slow moving start stop changes. 

When cold , it can be a bit lumpy but so is my BMW ZF gearbox which is sublime after a couple of miles

This ^^^

i am considering getting sports mode retro fit on mine and one of the scenarios where I think it may make “non spirited driving” better is the stop start traffic. I figure if it would hold first longer then it wouldn’t get caught out as often. 

Secondary to main use of having fun where the pdk is in its element but helps the Justification. 

On 7/19/2019 at 2:13 PM, 718as said:

perhaps coz it starts in 2nd gear. If you have it in sports mode stop/start will be off and so smoother?

Doesn’t start in 2nd. Always starts on 1st.  Think the tiptronic box started in 2nd but pdk always starts in 1st and even in manual mode wont shift into 2nd until it’s doing maybe 10 mph. 

My 987.2 did this as does my 981 (but to a lesser degree), always more noticeable after reversing.

i had a full oil change done by Porsche on the 987 (which had 100k on it by then) and it made no great difference, the mechanic did a test drive and said the box was spot on. 

I wouldn’t worry unduly 

Archived