Rear bumper advice

huytonman

My 2003 986S is in generally excellent condition - in line with its mid 30k miles with one exception the rear bumper that has obviously has a couple of scrapes in the past and has been repaired. On first glance it seems fine but its not up to the same standard as the rest if the car and being midnight blue paint imperfections can be obvious. So I have four options, the first is easy, just ignore it and live with how it is..which is a cheap solution. The 2nd is to get the bumper sorted professionally i.e. plastic repairs and resprayed and the third is to source a use but undamaged midnight blue bumper (not that easy going by recent checks on-line) and the fourth is to buy a new bumper and get that sprayed etc.

Any advice on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th options in terms of previous experience with repairs of the bumper, where to get this done or where to source a good used or new one? I'm based near Reading.

Thanks Keith

Speak to Bobby at Autobody Technic Ltd in Langley. SL3 7EW .

Tel: 01753 592345

Tell him Kam recommended you.

He will drop you to Langley train station for the train back to Reading.

Mine had a split after I had the IMS bearing replaced and to be fair, was a bit tatty.  I took it to a bodyshop just across the road from where I work and they charged me £180 to repair and respray. 

It looks pristine, they did a great job matching the colour with is never easy with silver.  I got them to do the front bumper afterwards too to get rid of the stone chips.

5 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Mine had a split after I had the IMS bearing replaced and to be fair, was a bit tatty.  I took it to a bodyshop just across the road from where I work and they charged me £180 to repair and respray. 

It looks pristine, they did a great job matching the colour with is never easy with silver.  I got them to do the front bumper afterwards too to get rid of the stone chips.

Which shop did you use?  I have a silver S that needs some TLC to the front and rear bumpers.  I see you are in Northampton, I'm in Kettering so PM me if you don't want to list them. 

I have a black 986 bumper (in bubble wrap) in my shed which is in great condition which I tried to sell on here before but nobody bought it. I live in Maidenhead so very near you. You could get it sprayed up and then replace your damaged bumper. Happy to take £80.

This was my original advert, make sure you go down about 10 posts to see the newer pictures.

cheers

Tony

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Which shop did you use?  I have a silver S that needs some TLC to the front and rear bumpers.  I see you are in Northampton, I'm in Kettering so PM me if you don't want to list them. 

It's Quality Vehicle Refurbs in Brixworth,  Scott's number is 07936 380580.

I live in the Leisure Village in Kettering, you can pop over and take a look at mine if you want (he also painted the rear wing).  PM me and I will give you my address.

2 hours ago, tony_zx9r said:

I have a black 986 bumper (in bubble wrap) in my shed which is in great condition which I tried to sell on here before but nobody bought it. I live in Maidenhead so very near you. You could get it sprayed up and then replace your damaged bumper. Happy to take £80.

This was my original advert, make sure you go down about 10 posts to see the newer pictures.

cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, that sounds like just what I need - I'll drop you a PM to sort out logistics etc. Thanks Keith

13 minutes ago, huytonman said:

Thanks for the inputs guys, I'm going to start with following up on Tonys offer then check on Kams contact for a respray price etc

Cheers Keith

by coincidence , I am just off to Costco in Reading if you are free in the next hour or so, I could bring it with me 

cheers

Tony

Thanks for buying the bumper Keith & great to meet you. You must bring the car down to one of the Blackbushe meets and show us what it looks like once painted. 

I would also be interested to hear more about all your different porches 😀

cheers 

Tony 

Archived