Radiator Grills, anyone tried these?

MAC99V

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2019 at 11:33 AM, Nick_McUK said:

Why not just take the bumper off its a absolute doddle to do and should not take more that 10 mins to do.

Really?  I've done this with assistance (we did two cars on the day) and I would not describe removal and reinstallation as a 10 minute job.  It is a right PITA and took long enough that I would happily pay the going rate on these to avoid the hassle.  Sure a pro would do it quicker but then the labour charge would likely offset the gain as I highly doubt they would be charging 10 minutes to remove, fit a guard and reinstall the bumper.

8 hours ago, Nath said:

Really?  I've done this with assistance (we did two cars on the day) and I would not describe removal and reinstallation as a 10 minute job.  It is a right PITA and took long enough that I would happily pay the going rate on these to avoid the hassle.  Sure a pro would do it quicker but then the labour charge would likely offset the gain as I highly doubt they would be charging 10 minutes to remove, fit a guard and reinstall the bumper.

Ok maybe 15 mins but absolutely no more than 20 mins

I just watched a couple of videos on YouTube and then got on with it on my car, I hade to get the bumper off to cleanup and also swap out the broken and seized O/S  rad cooling fan.  Refitting took moments to do and it shows the level of engineering design that goes into these cars as it went on as easy as it came off. 

In comparison to some of the cars I have taken apart it was an absolute doddle. 

1 hour ago, Nath said:

It probably took me 15 minutes just getting one of the inner guards back on!

Must be why I have an office job, I definitely have no aptitude for this sort of thing 😂

Ha ha I am in marketing so that’s absolutely no excuse 😂😂

That being said I have done a few restos in my time do that might help 😉😉

If anyone is interested I've got some Zunsport outer grilles in black for sale off my 987.2 (manual). These always looked nice and discrete on Meteor coloured car. I will get round to posting an advert later.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, 1973mjg said:

and according to their website they have a "New Product"........for the 987.1

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/boxster-and-cayman-987-1

Tempted as the Zunsports were just a way of keeping the rads clear, they do hide the blades which I'd much prefer to see.🤔

Side grilles are relatively easy to remove (provided you're careful). May as well just do a DIY job and save money.

23 hours ago, 1973mjg said:

and according to their website they have a "New Product"........for the 987.1

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/boxster-and-cayman-987-1

Their advert is upsetting the pedant in me...

"Porsche vehicles have a unique vulnerability that they share..." :sad01_anim:👨‍🎓😁

Products look nice though.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid Q perhaps but why would you put grilles on the side vents? I can understand the need for the ones in the front bumper (very direct stone impact risk, expensive condensers just behind, long-term risk of gathering old leaves and hence corrosion etc) but surely the side ones present much less risk. 

Or have I missed something? 

18 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Stupid Q perhaps but why would you put grilles on the side vents? I can understand the need for the ones in the front bumper (very direct stone impact risk, expensive condensers just behind, long-term risk of gathering old leaves and hence corrosion etc) but surely the side ones present much less risk. 

Or have I missed something? 

It’s a good question!

I ve removed the side vents on all of my cars and never found anything in there but dust.

I had a recall last year to fit side grills to my 718. I was told that a fag thrown out of the cars window could be sucked into the engine.

44 minutes ago, mat1 said:

How have you got these attached?? I can't see the zip ties

On the 987.2 there are small holes at the back of the existing spars that the zip ties go through - neat eh! 

13 hours ago, JHamshaw said:

On the 987.2 there are small holes at the back of the existing spars that the zip ties go through - neat eh! 

Thats great. I'm going to order some today. Did you you not bother with the centre?

On 10/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, the baron said:

I made some up myself with mesh from Halfords, did all the grills for £10, look exactly the same.

Same.did mine whilst replacing the condensers and as you say,looks identical.My only concern is restricted airflow but hopefully the fans will pick up the slack.

Archived