Radiator Grills, anyone tried these?

MAC99V

Heh all...

Just wondered if anyone has tried these grill's on their Boxsters or 911's? I'm not a lover of the Zunsport being front mounted grills, these look far more discreet and acceptable, not too in your face, Anyone know of them? Going to order next week, so will have them fitted after the goes goes in for its service...

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/product-page/porsche-987-2-boxster-front-radiator-grilles

Cheers, Mark.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of them. Looks similar to diy mesh in being mounted behind the slats and not much more profesional. Can't see any menton of 987.1 and you evidently don't get a centre grille either. Presume they're shipped from the US but website doesn't seem to show any company details so they're probably knocked up in someone's garage. I'd stick with Zunsports or make your own with mesh.

the centre grill is an option, think it was an extra $59, agree with what you say re not really company details, think i'll get my friend in the US to check them out. Zunspotts a no go for me, they look dreadful set in front of the blades, unless of course they do a set that sit behind them. I'll post up what i find, or the goods if and when delivered. Cheers, M

If they are good, these grills should prove popular. I made my own and its quite a fiddle  Once in place not easy to remove, should you need to service your DRL's for in some way for example. Please let us know how you get on 😁

Mailed my friend in the states, in the sports car industry, he’ll let me know of his findings....soon as I know, either good or bad, i’ll Post up, fingers crossed better than  surface mounted zunnsport....

I ordered a pair a few days ago - I’m also not a fan of the Zunsport look and, having just taken delivery of a 2009 987.2 with brand new radiators/condensers I’m keen to protect them.

So far so good, fitting instructions look simple (no need to remove bumper) and they’re on a tracked delivery somewhere mid-Atlantic at present. Even with $30 postage added they’re still a bit cheaper than Zunsport (even if I get caught for VAT)....

I’ll post again when received/fitted....

excellent, keep us posted JHamshaw, hope they're as good as they look in the images....all the best, Mark.

Just looked again at the site and saw the install video, it is unframed mesh and secured only with cable ties, I was hoping for something a bit more professional....still interested in seeing how they come up JHamshaw.....cheers, M

Side intake grilles for the 718 look great, pop off intakes, position, pop back on.

However $182 delivered for two bits of mesh goes against my tight fisted Scottish upbringing.

53 minutes ago, MAC99V said:

Just looked again at the site and saw the install video, it is unframed mesh and secured only with cable ties, I was hoping for something a bit more professional....still interested in seeing how they come up JHamshaw.....cheers, M

I believe they're framed at the top as they look to be "cut out" around the fog light access screws - the bottoms are unframed but aren't seen in any case - neither should the cable ties be seen as there's some holes at the back of the grille spars.

Anyway, mine seem to be at Heathrow now so not long until I find out if I've been caught for VAT..... 🙄

Mines a 987 scubaregs, so i'm only after fronts for rads, but deffo hear what ya saying re cost, .

Getting there then Jhamshaw, good news, fingers crossed they get through without the handling fee or vat, I've been stung a few times, to the point at one time, i refused the goods had them sent back and refunded, then got my mate in the states to send them as a gift, not too many times i could get away with that tho. If possible, could you post photo of how they look before fitting? thx, M

8 hours ago, MAC99V said:

Mines a 987 scubaregs, so i'm only after fronts for rads, but deffo hear what ya saying re cost, .

Getting there then Jhamshaw, good news, fingers crossed they get through without the handling fee or vat, I've been stung a few times, to the point at one time, i refused the goods had them sent back and refunded, then got my mate in the states to send them as a gift, not too many times i could get away with that tho. If possible, could you post photo of how they look before fitting? thx, M

Sure - but I went by the last picture here before buying..... https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/product-page/porsche-987-2-boxster-front-radiator-grilles

Good news today - they're in the UK

Bad news today - £10.08 VAT + £8 Royal Mail handling charge to pay.... 

Total cost in sterling delivered = £101.44 (exchange rates may vary - I used PayPal)

Black Zunsport outers only (my centre is OK/blanked off on a 2.9 PDK) = £134.47 + delivery if there is any (I didn't go through checkout to find out...)

Should be here Wednesday...

Thats not bad, at least its gonna protect the rads. Just seen they do silver cable ties, so my order shall go in, may as we;; do it through radstore, then delivery is guaranteed....

1 hour ago, MAC99V said:

Thats not bad, at least its gonna protect the rads. Just seen they do silver cable ties, so my order shall go in, may as we;; do it through radstore, then delivery is guaranteed....

Don’t fit them before your 111 pint inspection.  That’s one of the things they get emotional about.  

Yep, too true PaulP, they'll be sitting on the table until i get the all clear and funds have been transferred for warranty....

Then....maybe seatbelt colour change, new crested centres for wheels, and change of radiator blade colour to silver to match that of rear grills.....Oh, and checking of the roof drains which i still haven't got around to looking at....Cheers, M

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Don’t fit them before your 111 pint inspection.  That’s one of the things they get emotional about.  

I doubt they'll care after 111 pints..... 😂

4 hours ago, JHamshaw said:

I doubt they'll care after 111 pints..... 😂

In my head I always think of the official warranty costing 111 pints.  The maths doesn’t add up but I always find myself referring to it as that. 

😀

Right - they're fitted! Quality is better than expected - fully "plasticized?" mesh, nicely edged where they show and no rough edges - all sealed - where they don't.

As I had new (white) fog light bulbs to go in - after returning 2 sets of (allegedly canbus ready, no errors) LED H8's that all threw canbus errors, I thought I'd make it easier by removing the foglights first.

Upside - there's loads of room to get your hands in

Downside (and, fortunately, I tried this before finally cable-tying the grilles in) - YOU CAN'T REFIT THE FOG LIGHTS ONCE THE GRILLES ARE IN...(there isn't enough room to get the fogs at the correct, strange angle to get them back in)

So, foglights back in first, with the new bulbs (and tested!) then proceed with the manufacturers instructions as per the .pdf on their website.

Still relatively easy - the cable ties are pre-threaded in the correct places and line up with the holes on the back of the lower grille spar. Get the cable ties loosely attached, guide the top of the grille into place and tightening the cable ties pulls the grille bottom into place.

I like the look (they're hardly noticeable) and will make sure I have some spare small black cable ties to hand (as they'll have to be cut) if the foglight bulbs ever need replacing. Glad I went with £20 Osram H8's as an exchange for the LED's now! (If anyone as a pair of LED DRL's (from a 987.2 with Xenon lights) available for a reasonable price, please let me know!)

Overall, I think I can recommend, apart from the (relatively minor) foglight removal issue.

Pictures :

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4934.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

IMG_4937.JPG

IMG_4938.JPG

Archived