2005-2007 (ish) 3.2 987S - which IMS?

steve_gus

Hi,

Newbie here going through the usual "Is the IMS something I need to worry about" pre purchase worries.

Looking at the online survey conducted here since 2008, trying to see what are actual failures, I see approx 3 2.7 failures (pre 2005) two 2.5 failures and a predominance of 3.2 failures (9). Ive tried to weed out as best as possible what were preventative changes and are actual failures.

So, although Id like a 3.2, these look like a bigger risk than the later 2.7 post 2005 large bearing change.

However, the 2005 on 3.2 is _supposed_ to have also got the large bearing (3rd type) before it was replaced by the 3.4 (with bore scoring, so im not getting one of those). So it looks like a very narrow window of 3.2 between mid 2005 (when the bearing changed?) to sometime late 2006-early 2007 before the 3.4 replaced it.

However, there doesnt seem to be any information anywhere that states the 3.2 got the new bearing, and many on-line sources seem to doubt the 3.2 ever got the bigger 3rd type bearing. There is a picture of whats supposed to be an extract from Porsche docs that say 3.2 after engine 62.504095 has the larger bearing, but some people doubt this is actually a Porsche document.

Anyone got a clue which bearing is in the last of the 3.2?  Dont bother with a "just buy it and enjoy it" answer, as im not a gambler!  If i cant figure the 3.2 bearing size out, its going to be a play safe 2.7 choice.

ta

steve

The survey is rubbish. People did not distinguish in their answers between catastrophic failure and weeping seal.

We put a sticky thread at the top of technical which quoted the Porsche engine numbers from the US settlement. If you don't believe that then I don't see what a bunch of anonymous randoms on the web can say which is more persuasive.

Buy a 2.7 :) 

The serial numbers on the sticky is the source I found for the 3.2 supposedly having the new bearing on the last cars. Thats the only "confirmation" I can find anywhere.

2.7 is a compromise. If im going to buy myself a Porsche as a weekend car (selling my daily driver GT86) then it needs to be as outrageous as possible :) another 45hp over the (dissapointing) GT86 isnt quite enough.

Plus, my son has a 17 plate Focus St with almost 250hp standard  - do i want a Porsche with less power than an a 2 litre ST? :)

23 minutes ago, steve_gus said:

The serial numbers on the sticky is the source I found for the 3.2 supposedly having the new bearing on the last cars. Thats the only "confirmation" I can find anywhere.

2.7 is a compromise. If im going to buy myself a Porsche as a weekend car (selling my daily driver GT86) then it needs to be as outrageous as possible :) another 45hp over the (dissapointing) GT86 isnt quite enough.

Plus, my son has a 17 plate Focus St with almost 250hp standard  - do i want a Porsche with less power than an a 2 litre ST? :)

Have you driven any yet ? as for some it’s more about how they handle and what they are like going into and out of the bends as opposed to straight line driving - as obviously there is a limit to how fast you can take the bends - is she going to be purely a road car or do you intend on doing some track days - the 2.7 has plenty of power for weekend playtime down twisty roads ( I have a 2007 2.7 SE) - what budget do you have to play with ? as going for a Gen 2 from 2009 onwards will rid you of the IMS worry - plenty of owners on here originally were found to get the 987 gen 1 then decided to did series and go gen 2 - good luck and happy hunting .

Hi there 

I had a 2005 3.2 987.1 and mine had the ceramic bearing upgrade when I bought it. I would conclude mine had the smaller bearing as the later larger bearing wasn’t replaceable. So I would doubt the 3.2 ever got the larger bearing but I could be wrong 👍

If you're risk averse, there are plenty of other ways that a 3.2 engine will lunch itself. In the last couple of years on here I can't remember an IMS going (might be wrong on that), but @Jason986S had a crank bearing failure, @Tin Pot had a siezed engine preceded by loss of oil pressure which suggests similar. In short, if you're worried about engine failure it's probably best to pay for a warranty and check the T&Cs to make sure you're properly covered, or buy a 987.2🙂

I have a late 2006 3.2S and have been told by Kev at DW Performance that it has the better bearing in it, so if you don't want to gamble get a 2006, some 2205's have the new one, some don't!!!

Richard Hamilton posted up some info a while ago regarding engine numbers on the 3.2 which would indicate that only the very early models of 987.1 received the small bearing and that from June '05 this was changed to the larger one. If that info is correct, having checked my mid June '05 car against his findings, mine has the larger bearing, but there is still some conjecture as to whether or not the info is accurate. 

Archived