Give me the horn!

Rav

Recent MOT test revealed that my horn has lost one of its tones. It was very high pitched.....Like a sort of "Heeeelooooo" rather that a manly "Hello"! 

Does anyone on here have a pair of horns or perhaps even the low pitch horn (I think) that they wouldn't mind selling? I don't want to risk ebay......

Many thanks.

36 minutes ago, Rav said:

Recent MOT test revealed that my horn has lost one of its tones. It was very high pitched.....Like a sort of "Heeeelooooo" rather that a manly "Hello"! 

Does anyone on here have a pair of horns or perhaps even the low pitch horn (I think) that they wouldn't mind selling? I don't want to risk ebay......

Many thanks.

I know you said you thought you might be falling out of love with her Rav, but now she's stopped giving you the horn things are worse than we though !  Why don't you bring her to the "munch " on Wednesday ??  she might perk up a bit in company 😉 and I hope someone on here can help with your horn 😱 

It was always the case that the angle of the dangle, sorry horn, meant that one collected water and didn't drain out, eventually dying. 

Not sure if you can fix just one, but when a fix is effected, re-angle your horn so water drains out.

Buy a pair of Fiamm, as fitted to many motorcycles, such as BMW and Moto Guzzi.  I sourced a pair via Amazon for my previous Morgan, which only had one Lucas horn fitted as standard OEM.

10 hours ago, CAZ said:

I know you said you thought you might be falling out of love with her Rav, but now she's stopped giving you the horn things are worse than we though ! 

Thanks for your concern Caz. I have learnt that she is a tool in my garage of cars and can do jobs that the other cars cant. I am using her daily at the moment - mainly with the hood down. I can say that the romance is begining again, but i will have to keep working at it.

10 hours ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Buy a pair of Fiamm, as fitted to many motorcycles, such as BMW and Moto Guzzi.  I sourced a pair via Amazon for my previous Morgan, which only had one Lucas horn fitted as standard OEM.

Thanks Graham,

Will this sort of thing work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192029841101

c18ef944-c153-4ad2-80f1-9df4943d2750.jpg

You would need to check whether the present horns have 2 or 1 terminal (the majority earth through the mounting bolt, so single).  If one, then those would do fine.  I no longer have a manual / wiring diagrams for the 986 (sold the manual after I sold my car - regret that, but made sense at the time).

3 hours ago, Rav said:

Thanks for your concern Caz. I have learnt that she is a tool in my garage of cars and can do jobs that the other cars cant. I am using her daily at the moment - mainly with the hood down. I can say that the romance is begining again, but i will have to keep working at it.

Thanks Graham,

Will this sort of thing work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192029841101

c18ef944-c153-4ad2-80f1-9df4943d2750.jpg

These should let the cyclists ahead know that you are coming through! :laughingsmiley:

6 hours ago, Rav said:

@sanky - you are not wrong - £24 the pair from Carparts4less. https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-alarm-and-car-horns

Bought.....will post a thread on fitting.

The genuine ones are

and

slightly more and the ones I fitted.

your link is for Bosh ones, hopefully they should fit with the same plug.  You will have to remove the front bumper to get access to them  

can anyone help with insturctions on how to fit. I have been reading around and horrified that i will have to take the bumper off.......

Bumper off is not too bad a job as it is only a PU cover no the full structure.  Only around a dozen screws/fixings to release and it pops off no problem.  Just have a soft surface to put it down on so you don't scratch the paintwork.  A good chance to clear out your rad ducts at the same time and check for corrosion on the a/c condensers!

On 8/2/2019 at 11:08 PM, Sanky said:

link is for Bosh ones, hopefully they should fit with the same plug.  

My Bosch ones had 1\4" spade connectors, so just chopped the plug off. 

YouTube for bumper removal Rav :)

35 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

My Bosch ones had 1\4" spade connectors, so just chopped the plug off. 

The Porsche gods will be frowning up on you...🤣.

@Rav, no other way without removing the bumper.

I think this the problem with Porsche ownership, you start off with a job that you think will be pretty simple.  Then end up fighting with fastners and wot nots to complete the simple job.

I have got Bosch horns, so will have to cut off the connectors.

Thanks all. I managed to fit these today and have amazed mysefl at how easy it was to take the front bumper off.

I had the help of my daughters which was ace team building The little one was the cheif horn tester (my poor neighbours).

avRhQCj.jpg

CkxI9hF.jpg

iwXkR0J.jpg

I now have a manly sounding horn. I had to cut the connectors and used a crimping set to attach spade terminals. Fingers crossed it will last another 20 years!

That wasn't so bad after all was it?  😉 👍

This home mechanic thing means you get more experience and then have a crack at another job, which if not easier than you thought, saves the bank balance and then you learn some more.  You buy a few more tools with the money you've saved and before you know it you know your way round the car and find more faults to fix or projects to have a crack at so the car becomes a hobby as well as a good thing to drive.  Great the you can involve the kids too!  My grandson (only 4) loves watching Grandpa working on Grandma or Grandpa's cars.

Archived