Rear spoiler

Richdobie

My rear spoiler fails to rise up now, either manually or automatically. I’ve been told it’s likely to be the motor. Does anyone have any photos of the motor in situ? I’ve been told it’s in the rear luggage compartment, near the access panels to the rear lights. Any hints/tips appreciated. Also, is there any way of checking whether the motor is faulty without buying a new one first? Thanks 

Yeah, I’ve checked the fuze and ruled that out. I also disconnected the battery for 30 secs to see if there was any electrical gremlins, but neither were successful. Is there any other checks worth doing prior to changing the motor? I think someone referred to 1 or 2 relays - but don’t know what/where they are. Also, can you replace the motor in situ or do you have to remove/replace the whole spoiler assy? Any tips advice appreciated 👍🏻

Left field suggestion; but the spoiler is controlled by a box under the passenger (left) seat.  (Also corrals roof and rear lights ). If the roof drains get blocked then water can make sit was under the seat and send the electronics mad. 

So check for damp  under the seat.  It probably isn’t the issue because I would expect weirdness from all the associated systems but it’s worth a check.  

4 hours ago, Richdobie said:

Yeah, I’ve checked the fuze and ruled that out. I also disconnected the battery for 30 secs to see if there was any electrical gremlins, but neither were successful. Is there any other checks worth doing prior to changing the motor? I think someone referred to 1 or 2 relays - but don’t know what/where they are. Also, can you replace the motor in situ or do you have to remove/replace the whole spoiler assy? Any tips advice appreciated 👍🏻

Not done a motor replacement myself but link to the workshop manual here if that helps

https://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/boxster_s_(987)/f6-3.2l/body_and_frame/spoilers_flaps_and_air_dams/active_spoiler_motor/component_information/service_and_repair/

30 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Left field suggestion; but the spoiler is controlled by a box under the passenger (left) seat.  (Also corrals roof and rear lights ). If the roof drains get blocked then water can make sit was under the seat and send the electronics mad. 

So check for damp  under the seat.  It probably isn’t the issue because I would expect weirdness from all the associated systems but it’s worth a check.  

Paul, thanks but I checked under the seat and it’s all dry 

26 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Iborguk, thanks very much. Really handy link 👌

14 hours ago, Richdobie said:

Paul, thanks but I checked under the seat and it’s all dry 

If it got wet a year ago corrosion of the PCB can start eventually. Have you had it long?

thats far left field though, nearly Corbyn territory...

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2019 at 10:08 PM, Paul P said:

Been there, done that!

Costly oversight.

I hope it's not that.....

Good luck,

Verner

Archived