Hood not closing correctly

Low Level Flyer

Hi All,

Recently whenever I put the roof up on my 987 it’s not closing correctly (see picture attached).  Still keeps the water out and the only effect other than visually is that above about 60mph it’s a but noisier due to the air resistance.

Wondered if anyone had any idea why it was happening? 

IMG_3427.JPG

You need to staple your elastic. There’s a few guides on the forum or try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZN8ffDBZqc

You may be able to stretch the exsisting elastic down so its tighter. If that does not work you will have to replace the elastic, which is a bit more of a fiddle but relativly easy.

As a temporary measure until you sort the elastic, stop the roof half way up and tuck it into the groove. It will then stay in as you close it. If the driver's side, you can do it without getting out of the car.

I would suggest to replace the elastic rather than stapling it shorter.  Once the elastic has gone there is little elasticity (d'oh!) so it is more likely to either pull your roof not enough or too much.

It was also the case earlier that we would recommend "buttonhole elastic" with holes already sewn at intervals, where you can screw through to the frame. If you know of a sewing or craft shop and they sell it by the metre, should cost you pennies; you'll probably only need half a metre, for 25cm either side, at the most.

" At the moment I’m tucking it into the groove by hand as out of the country "

Blimey you've got long arms.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I would suggest to replace the elastic rather than stapling it shorter.  Once the elastic has gone there is little elasticity (d'oh!) so it is more likely to either pull your roof not enough or too much.

It was also the case earlier that we would recommend "buttonhole elastic" with holes already sewn at intervals, where you can screw through to the frame. If you know of a sewing or craft shop and they sell it by the metre, should cost you pennies; you'll probably only need half a metre, for 25cm either side, at the most.

Exactly when I went to do mine the orginal elastic was dead...it had no elasticity left at all.

As said get some button hole elastic I got mine off amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G69A058/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)...the hood end is dead easy as you just undo the bolt into the frame, and then put this through the elastic, you might need a washer too.

cut the old crappy dead elastic off the vinyl tab then staple your new piece onto this making sure you have a nice bit of tension on it. The video shared earlier on in this thread is the one I found when googling and used it as my reference...it is absolutely no more than a 30 min job to do both sides.

40 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Only because the holes are already cleanly there to put the screw through - less chance of it snapping over time.  I accept that might be less of an already small chance.

^^^^This

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2019 at 7:48 AM, Rob™ said:

Simple to do - was quoted about £65 for someone else to do it before I knew. Just buy some elastic off eBay,.. 

Who actually offers this as a service?

useless with a needle and thread and would rather someone with half a clue did mine than me with none.

As others have already said, this seems to be quite common, and there are a few YouTube videos showing how to remedy it.  Mine has got the same problem, and I've got as far as buying the elastic (I went for a wider heavy duty one just to see if it will make a difference, but not the button hole type) but haven't fitted it yet.  If you're not handy with a sewing kit, you can use a normal office stapler to fix it in place, which is what I plan to do.

6 hours ago, ptholt said:

Who actually offers this as a service?

useless with a needle and thread and would rather someone with half a clue did mine than me with none.

Thats ok because you use a stapler :D 

Where are you based?

1 hour ago, ptholt said:

I’m in Horsham, near Crawley

I found an excellent trimmer in Carshalton, who made a superb job of recovering the leather front seat squabs on my other car. And appeared to do all and any trimming work. I was most impressed with the job they were working on - a 60s Merc with originally a painted dash which they were covering in leather.

Tiggy Design Upholstery

10 Rochester Road

Carshalton

London

SM5 2LB

Call 07477 589099

Archived