Plastic Window Dimples

BTM520

This stuff also helps to recondition the plastic rear window reducing yellowing and adding suppleness.  The chop is pretty much essential to preserve the plastic and avoid or at least reduce these dimples.  The dimples in mine reduced in the heat of the summer so hopefully will not create a fail point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Wack-2500-Cabrio-Window/dp/B002EPUFJK/ref=pd_sim_263_2/257-3027645-0419615?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002EPUFJK&pd_rd_r=a3163c2f-a802-4590-aca7-a2db48d9ac93&pd_rd_w=jXgeZ&pd_rd_wg=gxGYA&pf_rd_p=1b8636ae-4f21-4403-a813-e8849dd46de4&pf_rd_r=GRB3KARHVA41S0Z4VMSH&psc=1&refRID=GRB3KARHVA41S0Z4VMSH

In half along it's length is what I intend on doing. I think I will just keep it up in this now slightly colder weather. I don't want to make these points any weaker.

Many thanks for the link, is that stuff better recommended rather than meguiars plastX?

19 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I use the Maguires stuff but not done a side by side test. You shouldn't lower the roof below 5 degrees to avoid cracking the plastic window but above that it should be fine.

I did have below 5 degrees in my head but did wonder if when older and more brittle if open to more cracking. I will be playing it safe as I want to keep the original window.

The product is the brand that Porsche used to sell with its own branding as its plastic screen cleaner, which as they no longer sell plastic screens, has become obsolete.  It is a restorer as well as a cleaner but I have not used any other product so have no reference but the description of the Meguiars seem to be similar.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

The product is the brand that Porsche used to sell with its own branding as its plastic screen cleaner, which as they no longer sell plastic screens, has become obsolete.  It is a restorer as well as a cleaner but I have not used any other product so have no reference but the description of the Meguiars seem to be similar.

Many thanks, I did wonder if it was who made Porsche's products after searching and seeing it was a German brand. Thanks for the info. Was going to get plastx to do the headlights as well but might get this as well if specifically designed for the rear windows

1 hour ago, BTM520 said:

I did wonder if it was who made Porsche's products after searching and seeing it was a German brand.

There have been several threads on here about what products to use on the plastic screens, but there was one last year (link below) that concluded that the Mr. Wack one was made by the same manufacturer as the original Porsche-badged product that used to be available, and may even be the same stuff. I haven't tried any other product to compare, but the original Porsche stuff was great - it kept my 986's plastic screen in pretty good condition for the 15 years I had it. So if it is the same as that, I reckon it would be worth trying.

40 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I bought some, but not tried it yet.

BTW, just noticed the thread I've linked below was one you started @PaulQ ... c'mon the forum needs you to try out the stuff you bought a year ago and report back! :D

As has been said the dimples will go in the sun or you could try pouring some hot water on it if you are impatient like me ! 🤣

Worked when I did it

I have used the Dr Wack 2500 cleaner and it does reduce the yellowing of the screen and also the light scatter / halo effect from headlight behind you reduces too.  Treated my window twice, once when I got it on early spring and again in mid summer.  Needs to be done on a cooler day without direct sunlight as it is an apply, wait a bit and buff off product not just on and off straight away.

I like the hair dryer idea! It's much better now and I haven't done anything to the window. I will be seeing how it folds as it folds now. So annoying.

I might still buy plastx and this. PlastX first then some of the Dr Wack after to help protect it. I think PlastX is quite abbraisive then Dr Wack to protect? Maybe overkill? Lol

Archived