981 Boxster Roof Picture Request

CMA

981 Boxster Roof Picture Request

Could I ask if anyone has a 981 if they would take a pic of their roof while it is down similar to mine below please. Also if you could state if the rear of the folded roof is touching the boot lid (like mine is) if not how far away it is and roughly the distance between roll bar and the front of the folded roof.

Also post what year it is please. As I guess they might have made changes between years. Mines 2013.

This is to help support a claim against the warranty which has been refused as it's not a manufacturing fault.

Here's where mines rubbing:
48722717953_a975cdfb46_c.jpg

And the rough gap to the rollbar from the front of the roof
48723227447_d94320f1d1_c.jpg

Here's a 2015 Boxster showing a clear gap to the boot lid so not rubbing at all

48722718068_2756ff97c5_c.jpg

If you can't upload pics then drop me a PM and I'll let you have my email address to forward them on.

Many thanks if you could do this for me, I sense a big battle ahead and any bit of evidence will help.

I'll do this for you later. Mine doesnt touch but I think the gap is less than the 2015 car you posted. Mine is a 13.

Regarding the warranty the adjustment of the component which would have prevented this wouldn't be covered so by the terms I think your best hope is good will or an insurance claim for damage.

Good luck though it's rotten luck.

3 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I'll do this for you later. Mine doesnt touch but I think the gap is less than the 2015 car you posted. Mine is a 13.

That would be brilliant and so helpful especially given you have a 13 pate too. Thanks.

Oct 2015 registered 981. Left to right below are the gaps at: back right / back left / front centre / front left ... all pretty uniform at c.10mm. Good  luck with your fight!

981S (Reg 10-2015) roof open

I've only just got my 981 and first thing I noticed was how close my roof was to the boot lid when in the down position, I'll take some photos later when I get up.

But I think it is again (as @calypso said) close but not quite touching, no wear marks on the roof , mines a 12 plate.

Guvs.

Here are the photos of mine

2019-09-13_06-22-42

2019-09-13_06-22-582019-09-13_06-23-29

the crease goes over the boot, but the straight part actually touches the rubber part of the boot, there is no abnormal marks on the roof at all when up.

Guvs.

I think it might be to do with the way the cloth gathers when it folds down. If there is a way to have it tucked in nearer the headrests someway then this should solve the problem. Leave the hood down for a while and do this a few times and it could train the hood to lower down into the correct position. Just a thought but it might work. 

1 hour ago, Calypso said:

I think it might be to do with the way the cloth gathers when it folds down. If there is a way to have it tucked in nearer the headrests someway then this should solve the problem. Leave the hood down for a while and do this a few times and it could train the hood to lower down into the correct position. Just a thought but it might work. 

I’ve discussed this with CMA, and looking at this thread I’m pretty convinced they must have tweaked the design sometime around 2014, it’s probably only slightly different tension straps, maybe a stronger elastic,  or strap anchor point being moved a cm or so will have solved this.  

Rob, maybe the knowledge that the design appears to have changed can be used as leverage that there was an initial design issue, maybe it doesn’t cause issues in many cases but I suspect they might have had a few complaints and hence the change.

For info, mines a March 2014 car and there’s no problem with the roof when lowered.  There is all round finger width space between hood and body work.

Thanks for the info all.

I've constructed my complaint and passed to the Porsche GB so will see what comes back. Once I have a conclusion I'll let you know.

Thanks again all for the pics and info

Archived