Tight wheel nuts!

JohnnyUK

My local garage did work on all 4 brakes back in Dec 18. This week I decided to remove a front wheel in order to pry the back plate away from the disc as it rubbed after 10 miles or so. 

Using the tube socket and the lever bar in the tool kit was a total waste of time, resorting to a proper socket and breaker bar still proved useless, not one bolt would shift. An early morning visit to the garage and use of a rattle gun got them all cracked loose. Have now re tightened with the tool kit.

Just relieved I had not punctured somewhere on a trip... Would have been stuffed!  Suggest you check yours if you are using a garage or a tyre fitter, as no doubt their rattle gun will leave you in the same position! 😲

Slight deliation on topic, but I had my rear tyres changed yesterday (265/35R18's) and it occurred to me that should I ever have got a puncture on a rear I'd not have anywhere to put the flat tyre/wheel. It won't fit in the front or back boots, not the passenger seat, even if it was unoccupied (and it hadn't been raining). 

What have people done in the past - abandon the wheel in a ditch and recover later? Not very practical, especially if you're not local!

27 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Slight deliation on topic, but I had my rear tyres changed yesterday (265/35R18's) and it occurred to me that should I ever have got a puncture on a rear I'd not have anywhere to put the flat tyre/wheel. It won't fit in the front or back boots, not the passenger seat, even if it was unoccupied (and it hadn't been raining). 

What have people done in the past - abandon the wheel in a ditch and recover later? Not very practical, especially if you're not local!

never tried it but assumed it fitted in the front deflated when the spare is out

10 minutes ago, mike597 said:

never tried it but assumed it fitted in the front deflated when the spare is out

The queue for my tyre fitting at Costco was huge so i thought I'd just stick the tyres in my car and get them fitted locally another time. I got one of the new tyres (not on a wheel) and there was no way it was going to fit. It was too tall. It was too tall to lie flat in the rear too. I just saw this thread about how someone else got around the problem (very clever but not ideal obvs). 

Now I've brought this up, I'm bound to have cursed myself and will get a rear puncture, in the rain, at night, far from home...

Perhaps the best thing to do is just call the breakdown cover and let them solve the problem!

Incidentally, I heard that when the AA vans breakdown, they have a contract with the RAC to recover them!

Had the same issue last summer, got back to the car and found the rear was flat, removed it, fitted the spare then found it wouldnt go in either boot...looked at the missus and said "you arent going to like this but it will have to go on your knee"..which it wouldnt as there wasnt any room. I told her to enjoy the sunshine and drove off to find a tyre fitter, came across an old school "we fix any car" garage who said they could repair it in an hour which they did and charged me £15.00 which was a nice surprise. Since then I've carried an inflator and tyre repair kit plus gunge just in case the nail in the tyre happens again and I can fix it myself if nowhere is open. Otherwise it looks like a recovery job or leaving the wheel behind which isnt an option is it.

Keith

+1 for the inflator repair kit. 

For some unknown reason when I bought my last Golf the dealer had put a BMW inflator kit in the boot. I dont have the Golf anymore but It is now in the Boxster.

Archived