Boxster S wanted

Darren1970

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Darren and welcome.

Worth keeping an eye out on here for an enthusiasts car. I'm not terribly well clued up on prices but I think your budget may be a tad optimistic.

What is the "right car" for you, in terms of must haves etc?

Also worth considering the spec you want. Considered options like wheels, heated seats, cruise control, Bose, Xenons, manual/tip, are often desirable. The more of these you want the further you'll be away from 5k. 

Scubaregs comment about budget it is important, expect to spend 1-2k in maintenance or at least budget for it in your first year of ownership. Have you considered a higher spec 2.7?

I picked up my 2001 3.2S for £100 over your budget with decent matching Bridestone tyres.

Had a few decent options:

Litronic xenon lights;

Heated seats with embossed crests;

Climate control;

Upgraded audio.

Be patient, work out what is important to you and what isn't (colour? spec? mileage? history? location?) and question sellers to ensure you know what you're looking at.

It can be done - good luck.

@Darren1970 there are a few threads on this forum talking about the older 2.5 and newer 2.7 variants of the 986 and comparing them to the 3.2. It's worth a read before you finally decide. the small engines need to be worked a bit harder to perform. In a nutshell, the general consensus was that certainly go for a 3.2 if used as a daily vehicle as it tends to have a bit more torque in the lower rev range and helpful with over takes of Mr. FourtyFiveMilesPerHour. 

If it's a weekend car you are after, then I would personally consider the base model, it'll all be about the handling, of which there's little to no difference between the two. 

You could get a lot more for your buck, looking for a 2.7. 

My opinion is that, it's not so much about the power in a 986, but that it's about the experience. I was talking to my friend today (a 911 owner) and both agreed that it's not so much about the expensive maintenance. That doesn't matter. What matters is what you get out of driving it. 

Good luck in your search, hope you find what you want. 👍

No re-sale not really my concern , lit’s just the type of feedback I’m getting when I ask owners about which one to go for.

I’ve driven a 2.7 and was really impressed by it’s performance, so I most definitely won’t dismiss one of these if offered one. 

It will be a second car, used on weekends mostly.  

21 minutes ago, Darren1970 said:

Hi, not too fussed about spec to be honest, just after a well looked after model with decent history. 

I was looking at the 2.7’s but most people I speak to say the 3.2 s is the one to go for?

How many of those people have owned either or better still, both? 

speaking as someone who’s owned 2.5, 2.7 and 3.2S cars. I’d say the sweet spot is determined very much by how you plan to use the car. If you want mostly grand touring and fewest gear changes with occasional enthusiastic blasts. “S” Cars might be your bag. If you want to exploit one class leading chassis on twisty back roads and get more involved in the gear selection, maybe a 2.7 works best for you. 

in any event there’s no substitute experience, so get out there and drive a few👍

8 minutes ago, Darren1970 said:

Thank you GmanB, excellent advice👍🏻

Agreed! That is a super summation. 

I have a 2.7 and a 911 and I absolutely love the drive of the 2.7 boxster. I’ve got 178k miles on her and she’s driven purposefully when she’s out. 

I had a choice last year. I had both the 2.7 and the S. I decided to keep the 2.7 and sell the S. I’ve never regretted it. well, maybe when I found out the S had been written off, I had some regret. 

3 minutes ago, Darren1970 said:

There’s definitely a big difference in price between the 2.7 and the 3.2s so maybe the 2.7 is the way to go?

I just want a good, honest car, to be driven around these lovely welsh roads we have here 👍🏻😊

It’s one of my favourite places to drive mine. @John K will confirm a 2.7 Boxster is plenty on those roads💪🏻😈

My 2001 986S could be up for sale soon. Hartech engine rebuild, Litronics, extended leather, recent clutch, 987 alloys matching Continental tyres all round. Various suspension parts replaced so no knocks or rattles. Stunning condition throughout, have owned for nearly 3 years and done all the work so no-one else has too! Will be north of 5K though..........and I'm in the South East 😑

13 minutes ago, Darren1970 said:

The 2.7 option is definitely growing on me!!👍🏻👍🏻

Classic displacement🤓

72 RS is the legendary 911 (- 2.7L)

As you’ve mentioned it’s a recreational use BOXSTER, like mine, I can certainly confirm the handling is what makes these cares no matter how quick they get to 60mph. 

Also don’t sweat cars with a few miles on them. I’ve had 5 986s all over 100k on the clock. The only one that ever broke down, was the one I kept! Replaced a fuel pump from a breakers 16 months ago and never a problem since! £48 part (shipped) plus local labour. Not a biggy. 

Good luck in your search👍

7 hours ago, PaulQ said:

5k should get you a pretty decent 3.2, so might as well get one of those :)

Agreed! 

I paid less than £4K for a belter with 140k on the clock. It had a documented history that was stunningly comprehensive! Every year compartmentalised with receipts.  

£3.5k BOXSTER thread might be a good read for you. I know you're punching above that bracket, the lessons still may serve you. 

Archived