OPC Service pricing

Green Genie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Patt said:

I guess I'm just born unlucky - current warranty bills stand at £8000 !

I am in two minds to extend in March or not

How did you get a price on warranty work, I’ve had a load of money thrown at mine at my opc recently but wasn’t told the cost 

Reading OPC send an email quote. 

Think I copied a picture once in my Alice thread. 

Not joking RBD, I don't think I can continue to fight the want to modify/personalise

4 hours ago, jason3.2s said:

I always wonder how much an OPC warranty claim is worth vs the work done at an indy.

Do you think £8,000 worth of OPC work is £3,000 or less/more of Indy work.

In general I'd guess Indie would be 60-80% of OPC price BUT would expect and Indie to only recommend what work is actually needed, not like an OPC in reporting stuff to be done to bring back to 'new'...

e.g.

my roof only needed a drain flush and allow me to dry the car 'and see how it goes' whereas I'll bet the OPC would have stripped the car irrespective, spent 20 hours on taking apart and drying out, then also charged me for a new ECU I didnt end up needing (I know we are talking about warranty work but IMO the principle is the same if you get me)

On my BMWs I’ve asked for a proforma invoice when warranty work was done so that I had a record of the part numbers that were replaced. The labour hours involved are usually included as well. No £ figures but they can be calculated. Haven’t had warranty work on my Boxster yet so don’t know what the OPC’s policy is on providing a proforma invoice.

warranty labour rates are usually significantly lower than maintenance/repair labour rates.

2 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

In general I'd guess Indie would be 60-80% of OPC price BUT would expect and Indie to only recommend what work is actually needed, not like an OPC in reporting stuff to be done to bring back to 'new'...

e.g.

my roof only needed a drain flush and allow me to dry the car 'and see how it goes' whereas I'll bet the OPC would have stripped the car irrespective, spent 20 hours on taking apart and drying out, then also charged me for a new ECU I didnt end up needing (I know we are talking about warranty work but IMO the principle is the same if you get me)

That makes a lot of sense and also backs up the OPC warranty vs a Indy warranty for same money or even 60-80% of the price.

OP Here

Well as promised a report back on my recent 4 year fixed price service at OPC Silverstone (Sytner)

I was very impressed with the whole process, I'd not originally booked a courtesy car as the wife was going to follow me in her car, and we were going to have lunch with friends.

Since booking she broke her foot close to the service (now wearing a boot that looks like a storm troopers) so we just went in the Boxster, when we got there they had a cancellation and could let me have a car, unfortunately I didn't have my license with me so couldn't take them up on their kind offer. They then drove us to our friends for lunch and picked us up when we were ready. Excellent customer service.

The service was done for the fixed price of £975.00 inc. VAT plus the price of an MOT which the car passed. There was no additional work needed, or implied. On collection of the car the service advisor gave me a Porsche bag containing a Porsche mug, Porsche pen, and some Porsche fruit jellies (the wife ate those!) They also changed the tyre sealant (4years old) with a new bottle at no extra cost, plus in the front boot they left me a 1lt bottle of Mobil oil, a bottle of screenwash and the remains of a lubricant spray they use on the door locks etc. Wow what more can you say! Service at its best.

My local (supplying dealer) OPC Hatfield wanted £1380.84 for the same thing! They are not in the fixed price scheme. This was well worth a 1.5 hour drive each way to save approximately £400.00. that's next years flights to Spain and back.

Very polite staff from the receptionist to the service advisor who was dealing with my car, I cannot recommend this dealership highly enough and will definitely be back, they followed up with a call to see how they had done and I gave them 10/10.

4 hours ago, Green Genie said:

OP Here
Well as promised a report back on my recent 4 year fixed price service at OPC Silverstone (Sytner)
I was very impressed with the whole process, I'd not originally booked a courtesy car as the wife was going to follow me in her car, and we were going to have lunch with friends.
Since booking she broke her foot close to the service (now wearing a boot that looks like a storm troopers) so we just went in the Boxster, when we got there they had a cancellation and could let me have a car, unfortunately I didn't have my license with me so couldn't take them up on their kind offer. They then drove us to our friends for lunch and picked us up when we were ready. Excellent customer service.
The service was done for the fixed price of £975.00 inc. VAT plus the price of an MOT which the car passed. There was no additional work needed, or implied. On collection of the car the service advisor gave me a Porsche bag containing a Porsche mug, Porsche pen, and some Porsche fruit jellies (the wife ate those!) They also changed the tyre sealant (4years old) with a new bottle at no extra cost, plus in the front boot they left me a 1lt bottle of Mobil oil, a bottle of screenwash and the remains of a lubricant spray they use on the door locks etc. Wow what more can you say! Service at its best.
My local (supplying dealer) OPC Hatfield wanted £1380.84 for the same thing! They are not in the fixed price scheme. This was well worth a 1.5 hour drive each way to save approximately £400.00. that's next years flights to Spain and back.
Very polite staff from the receptionist to the service advisor who was dealing with my car, I cannot recommend this dealership highly enough and will definitely be back, they followed up with a call to see how they had done and I gave them 10/10.

Thats what it should be like....Silverstone blow hot and cold though trust me

Green Genie,

As a matter of interest what oil level does your check display show?

After my Silverstone service it is 2-bars below max which they have just informed me is correct and that it should never show max as then when it heats up it can trigger a warning light. So interested to know if you also have the 60% means "full" level or the dangerously high 100% full?

Rgds, Barry

Hi Barry,

8.5 litres of oil (Stated service fill capacity) brings the display up to the full Mark, not sure why they should tell you that, If filling to the Max is going to cause potential issues, then surely the Max should be lower?

Stu.  

32 minutes ago, Stu67 said:

Hi Barry,

8.5 litres of oil (Stated service fill capacity) brings the display up to the full Mark, not sure why they should tell you that, If filling to the Max is going to cause potential issues, then surely the Max should be lower?

Stu.  

Apologies should have said 7.5 Litres!

On 10/27/2019 at 2:37 PM, jason3.2s said:

I always wonder how much an OPC warranty claim is worth vs the work done at an indy.

Do you think £8,000 worth of OPC work is £3,000 or less/more of Indy work.

It would be a LOT cheaper if you didn't have to buy genuine Porsche boxed parts.

£15 per spark plug is a joke.

That said the PDLS headlight was £2 - £2.5k on it's own and it to Reading 2 days to code it to the car.

Servicing is still significantly cheaper going the Indi route with OPC parts.  Plus you are dealing with problem solvers and people that rely on good service to sustain their business.  OPC are corner cutters and penny pinch.  If the computer doesn't tell them, they will keep changing parts until they get to a clear screen.  And the lies and condescending attitude infuriates me.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:48 PM, BarrySt said:

Green Genie,

As a matter of interest what oil level does your check display show?

After my Silverstone service it is 2-bars below max which they have just informed me is correct and that it should never show max as then when it heats up it can trigger a warning light. So interested to know if you also have the 60% means "full" level or the dangerously high 100% full?

Rgds, Barry

Barry

Apologies for late reply.

My car before it went in for servicing always showed 2-bars below max, and now sometimes shows 1bar-2bars below max, depending on how flat a surface I park on. As long as yours shows "Oil level ok" as does mine I wouldn't worry or add any more oil.

From the Porsche manual:

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-boxster-manual/7/85/Oil-Checking-level

Thanks GG, interesting to hear yours is similar and for attaching the manual info. Silverstone told me they have a machine that dispenses correct amount (like a petrol pump) but I'm with Stu - if "max" mark is incorrect then surely it would be lower. I've never in my life heard of not filling to "max" Still I'll leave it as it is since still seems sufficient and there are dire warnings against overfilling. I did wonder if it was an issue of requiring some coding after filling that may not have been carried out correctly. Could also be that their machine is systemically dispensing incorrect amount of oil.

1 hour ago, BarrySt said:

Thanks GG, interesting to hear yours is similar and for attaching the manual info. Silverstone told me they have a machine that dispenses correct amount (like a petrol pump) but I'm with Stu - if "max" mark is incorrect then surely it would be lower. I've never in my life heard of not filling to "max" Still I'll leave it as it is since still seems sufficient and there are dire warnings against overfilling. I did wonder if it was an issue of requiring some coding after filling that may not have been carried out correctly. Could also be that their machine is systemically dispensing incorrect amount of oil.

I only ever have mine filled to 50% as I'd over filled before marginally and its easier to put in 500 ml to 'top up' when needed than run the risk of overfill.

copy pasted link the @Green Genie put for other's convenience as sometimes the online manuals move (so link may become dead in future)

Page: 85

Display and measurement of the engine oil level

notice.png
Risk of engine damage due to inadequate lubrication.

• Regularly check the oil level each time before refuelling.
  • Do not allow the oil level to fall below the minimum mark.

Prerequisites for the oil-level gauge:

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  2. Switch off engine, which is now at operating temperature.
  3. Wait for approx. 1 minute.
  4. Select the "Oil measurement" function on the multi-function display.

Selecting the Oil measurement function on the multi-function display
boxster_pg_85_cht.jpg

• Please see the chapter "OVERVIEW OF WARNING AND INFORMATION MESSAGES" on page 113.

boxster_pg_85_img.jpgExample displays for oil level

1. - Maximum oil level reached
  2. - Minimum oil level reached
  3. - Oil level below minimum
  4. - Oil level above maximum

Measured oil level
The oil level reading is shown on the segment display in the Oil measurement menu.

If the segments are filled in green up to the top line (illustration A), the oil level has reached the maximum mark.

• Under no circumstances add engine oil. If the bottom segment is shown in yellow (illustration B), the oil level has reached the minimum mark.

The message "Oil level minimum reached" appears on the multi-function display.

• Add engine oil immediately.

If the bottom segment is red (illustration C), the oil level has dropped below the minimum mark.

The message "Oil level below minimum" appears on the multi-function display.

• Add engine oil immediately.

Top-up quantity
The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the segment display is approx. 1.8 quarts (1.7 liters).

• Never add more engine oil than required to reach the maximum mark.

If the segments are shown in yellow up to the top edge (illustration D), this indicates that the maximum engine filling capacity has been exceeded. Exceeding the maximum capacity may result in blue smoke formation and cause longterm damage to the catalytic converters depending on the overfill quantity and various external influences.

If too much engine oil was added, the message "Oil level above maximum" appears on the multi-function display.

• Have the oil quantity corrected at the next opportunity.
    Please contact an authorized Porsche dealer.
:)

• 4 weeks later...

on the subject of oil levels...

My 2014 981S was an OPC ex demonstrator. After about 6 months ownership, way before first 20,000 service, the oil warning light came on out of the blue.  Still under warranty, I went to my local (different), OPC . "Oh yes, sir they do consume oil between scheduled services". Dutifully topped up at about 3000 miles on the clock

Subsequently never topped up, always at the electronic gauge full level.

Conclusion- must've had a good thrashing when it was a demonstrator?

Archived