There’s a pool in my car

Spinjim

So it’s rained a lot 

and the car had an electrical glitch or several, system fault, brake lights not working followed by the boot and bonnet continually trying to open and the the alarm going off. 

I called Porsche assist and a very nice chap had a look round and we found lots of water Under the front passenger seat. He removed the front seat and the ECU was sat in there inches of water, removed and dried out, 

the car is drying out now and the ECU is re attached, the only thing not working is the spoiler. 

Never seen so much water in a car 

Jim

All convertibles need drain channel(s)

Nothing to be learned, but you can push for OPC to pay if the car has always been serviced by them.

Why there was never a recall (or was there?) to rectify this on all models - just needed either a waterproof box or re-positioning elsewhere.  Why they never fitted the ECU in boot on rear bulkhead is beyond me.

11 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

All convertibles need drain channel(s)

Nothing to be learned, but you can push for OPC to pay if the car has always been serviced by them.

There is something to be learned....don’t put delicate electronic equipment somewhere it is likely to get flooded in the event of blocked drain holes.  This is what Porsche don’t seem to have learned despite years of people having such issues. 

Obviously it’s always possible drain holes might get blocked depending on how the user parks/uses their car, but surely it doesn’t take a genius to mitigate this quite foreseeable issue.

Was talking to Lee at Cotswold Porsche about this the other day when I got him to check my drain holes for me,as this has always been one of my many worries  (I worry about everything) drain holes aren't part of the service shedules so an OPC doesn't usually do it,as it just comes under  normal regular maintenance .

When I asked for help clearing my rear drain holes at a Porsche meet a couple of months back ,a surprising number of  987 and 981 owners didn't know they even had them,probably because when you hear of an ECU being flooded it's normally a 986 or 987 that has suffered.

Hoping it all dries out and doesn't need replacing.

My local OPC say they always get 4-5 Boxsters in directly after a heavy storm / deluge of rain.  I reckon even with clear drains theres a chance it will overflow.

Yeh, as far as I can remember it isn't something covered in the owners manual, so how would the casual owner know such things.  Another thing that Porsche could learn is

1. To make clear the cleaning process to owners

2. To actually make the cleaning process part of the service schedule

3. To make the cleaning process straight forward, I.e put some thought into the design. At the moment it’s a very hit and miss procedure that you can only be certain has worked by pouring a load of water down, which obviously if it is still blocked you want to avoid doing.

so in fact quite a bit to learn IMO 😉

Sorry to hear this - @Spinjim My understanding from my own 981 drain / flooding issues a while back... is those 981 rear drain tubes (either side of roll bar) have a ‘filter’ in the tube lower down - not far from where they exit underneath.... at least / below the tube join....  like a criss cross plastic circular piece - tea strainer like.

255787-F7-7-B5-B-4113-B5-AF-B018-FCBDF46

My take is that gets blocked - and it gradually backs up until it reaches where the drain tube / drain pan join (11 and 12 above) - they aren’t one long piece ... then water overflows into cabin / seat belt holder / under seat. OPC removed those ‘filters‘ (aka debris catchers) when they did mine... link to my 2016 experience...

24 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Sorry to hear this - @Spinjim My understanding from my own 981 drain / flooding issues a while back... is those 981 rear drain tubes (either side of roll bar) have a ‘filter’ in the tube lower down - not far from where they exit underneath.... at least / below the tube join....  like a criss cross plastic circular piece - tea strainer like.

255787-F7-7-B5-B-4113-B5-AF-B018-FCBDF46

My take is that gets blocked - and it gradually backs up until it reaches where the drain tube / drain pan join (11 and 12 above) - they aren’t one long piece ... then water overflows into cabin / seat belt holder / under seat. OPC removed those ‘filters‘ (aka debris catchers) when they did mine... link to my 2016 experience...

That’s completely nonsensical design if that’s the case (filter where you say) it’s too late at this point to have a filter. Any such filter would need to be accross the top (or high up in) the bowl (item 11), it needs to stop the debris going down the pipe.

hi @Greenman that was my understanding from the OPC explanation - but hey they sold me a fish bowl 😂 

I may be wrong with their placement in the tube, as you say make sense to stop large parts going down... / be closer to the bowl part - but mine allegedly failed through the join ‘dislodged’ think was the term for it disconnecting half way down... and I couldn’t work out why they had removed them in that case (ie if they were higher up and functioning).

The filter must surely be higher up as you say - otherwise they’d all start leaking after a few years...

Anyone want to pop their side panel off and have a look ...?

468-F0-C86-E560-4-B27-BBDC-64-F4-BCD1-A7

4 hours ago, Greenman said:

There is something to be learned....don’t put delicate electronic equipment somewhere it is likely to get flooded in the event of blocked drain holes.  This is what Porsche don’t seem to have learned despite years of people having such issues. 

Obviously it’s always possible drain holes might get blocked depending on how the user parks/uses their car, but surely it doesn’t take a genius to mitigate this quite foreseeable issue.

Agreed 100%

• 2 weeks later...

Porsche cambridge had the car for two weeks due to a back up in the service dept. I received the following link on Wednesday.  

https://video.citnow.com/vt_f-twjF95

collected the car today, new ECU and all covered under the extended warranty 😀

Jim

8 minutes ago, Spinjim said:

Porsche cambridge had the car for two weeks due to a back up in the service dept. I received the following link on Wednesday.  

https://video.citnow.com/vt_f-twjF95

collected the car today, new ECU and all covered under the extended warranty 😀

Jim

Result 😎

Great result and good video - but I'm now puzzled, two drains?  Where does the other come from?  I assume the bottom one (straight ahead on the video) is from the 'tray' we can see beneath the roof mechanism, but where does the other one (slightly above and to the left on the video) come from?

My car is garaged - but with all the problems with drains I'm trying to learn where they are, and how to check them and keep them clear.

Archived