Trickle charger

alank

Just now, alank said:

Ref my burnt out CV charger. Any recommendations for a replacement reasonably priced. Cheers

When I was in Lidl yesterday they had their usual trickle chargers in stock for about £13, mine was on one all last winter without issue. Plenty on here rate them.

open to offers

I use mu Airflow unit had it is 1995 used on my Ferrari 308 GTS then since 2010 on my Boxster still working I think I paid £45 for it. Charging through the cigarette lighter socket, excellent.

Regards,

Martin

Hi have just hat a Lidl  Ultimate Speed charger ULGD  5.0 A1.  £13.99.   Is this the one you mean , as it says in instructions to disconnect  negative . But I just had my old one connected , with car leads in place. Have I got the wrong charger. Thanks. 

Hi have just hat a Lidl  Ultimate Speed charger ULGD  5.0 A1.  £13.99.   Is this the one you mean , as it says in instructions to disconnect  negative . But I just had my old one connected , with car leads in place. Have I got the wrong charger. Thanks.

Any idea if I can connect straight to battery without removing battery cable. Cheers

On 10/13/2019 at 9:00 PM, alank said:

Hi have just hat a Lidl  Ultimate Speed charger ULGD  5.0 A1.  £13.99.   Is this the one you mean , as it says in instructions to disconnect  negative . But I just had my old one connected , with car leads in place. Have I got the wrong charger. Thanks.

Any idea if I can connect straight to battery without removing battery cable. Cheers

I'm guessing here, but I wonder if the reason it says not to charge it with the negative lead connected is because it stops you trying to start the car with it on, which would overload the charger, which is probably only capable of a couple of hundred mA. 

2 minutes ago, LorenzoUK said:

I'm guessing here, but I wonder if the reason it says not to charge it with the negative lead connected is because it stops you trying to start the car with it on, which would overload the charger, which is probably only capable of a couple of hundred mA. 

I regularly start the car with that charger on with no ill effects. I suspect it is more of a general precaution around batteries to prevent shorts to the grounded bodywork. They should really put a warning in to disconnect before driving off😳 Ask me how I know🤣

Mind you if the negative lead was disconnected then I couldn't have driven it off🤔

I have had both CTEK and LIDL versions of battery maintainers fail. 

CTEK replaced without question. 

LIDL was a LOT more complicated to get replaced and can say I'm not proud of the precedure. 

My choice would always be CTEK. 

The good thing with Ctek is that they have a quick easy connector system so you can get the cig lighter lead. No chance of driving off with this on as it will be dangling across your seat or footwell. The bad news is it's a proprietary connector I think so you have to buy specifically designed or Ctek leads. There was a chap on here who cut the connectors off the Lidl one off and soldered on an Amazon sourced cig lead. 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, edc said:

There was a chap on here who cut the connectors off the Lidl one off and soldered on an Amazon sourced cig lead. 

If that doesn’t have a high potential for fire risk than nothing does.

As long as the solder is good and the wiring beefy enough with a protective wrap it should be fine. It's just a connector on the end of a wire just like it is already really. 

I use a trickle charger one Aldi one Lidl and connect it to a Cigarette power lead and plug which I run out of the car.

Cut/modified an old lead and put two connectors on the lead ends. Door closes fine and no issues.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:48 PM, edc said:

As long as the solder is good and the wiring beefy enough with a protective wrap it should be fine. It's just a connector on the end of a wire just like it is already really. 

The XS 0.8 is less than an AMP so mimimal current. 

YOU COULD WIRE IT WITH BELL-WIRE! 

12v lends itself to a minimum of insulation coupled with CTEK's short circuit and reverse polarity technology. 

Archived