S/GTS Brake Pads

GTSMarky

Who's used what replacement pads to the OEM?

I called my OPC and asked for a set of pads for all 4 calipers and was quoted >£700!!  Now I know this has the caliper bolts, sensors, clips etc that can simply be re-used if in good condition, but I'm wondering which replacement pads to consider other than simply from the OPC.

I did try the search function BTW, but to no avail.

Thanks folks..

OEM pads are made by Jurid part no. Jurid part may be visible in my video. 

I was charged £200 by my OPC for all the parts needed for the fronts so £700 is steep considering it's only for the rears on top.

Thanks for the replies - I’m after some experience of different pads really.  The OPC price was just ridiculous so that makes it easier in a way. 

Brembo performance or EBC yellows seem favourite at the moment and thanks Daz for the Jurid info..  nice video too - keep up the good work!

Well I always thought Textar was the OEM Porsche suppler (it was certainly one of a few perhaps). A quick look on ECP shows Textar pads front and rear and sensors coming at £214.94.   That doesn’t include the caliper  bolts.

2 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Brembo caliper under the Porsche logo...

It is...I may have changed my decals to some nice orange  Brembo ones but don’t tell anyone.

31 minutes ago, Liberty said:

It is...I may have changed my decals to some nice orange  Brembo ones but don’t tell anyone.

Brembo in Brembo it is then - perfect, so thanks to the OPC taking the pi55 I’m in a much better well informed place.. result.. 

Yes Definitely Brembo calipers, it does make you wonder why Porsche didn’t use Brembo pads as OEM? Maybe they just didn’t want to be too tied to one manufacturer.  I’ve put Brembo pads in the Mrs’s car and they seem decent, the problem now is there are multiple manufacturing plants for various manufacturers so quality can be mixed. E.g. Ferodo make pads 1/2 a mile from me and have done since early 1900s but they now also manufacture in China  

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting around to replacing the pads all round and slight interlude as I do indeed need to replace all the sensors, so they're on order.

Getting the rear pads out is a piece of cake and no need to remove the caliper at all..

Daz - I'll send you a PM too as with e rear wheel off the exhaust clamp that gave you grief is there are accessible, so I'm thinking I might just replace the nuts and bolts too.

Is the bolt separate to the flange or is it welded to it?  Be good to know before I take a Dremel to it...

Cheers.  Mark

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, GTSMarky said:

I'm sorted with a full set of Brembo Pads for £165.63 all in...  Have them collected and here ready to go on..  if I need a sensor at all I'll get that separately as they're very readily available.

..whilst looking on line for the wear sensors I noticed the same Brembo pad set is now £414.11, so I was very lucky to time my purchase..

Finally getting around to replacing the pads all round and slight interlude as I do indeed need to replace all the sensors, so they're on order.

Getting the rear pads out is a piece of cake and no need to remove the caliper at all..

Daz - I'll send you a PM too as with e rear wheel off the exhaust clamp that gave you grief is there are accessible, so I'm thinking I might just replace the nuts and bolts too.

Is the bolt separate to the flange or is it welded to it?  Be good to know before I take a Dremel to it...

Cheers.  Mark

Obviously responded by pm but for the thread, no they are not welded but you may find that they are severly corroded in which case your dremel and a punch will be your only option.

..whilst looking on line for the wear sensors I noticed the same Brembo pad set is now £414.11, so I was very lucky to time my purchase..

Wow, what kind of pad is that?

3 hours ago, daz05 said:

Obviously responded by pm but for the thread, no they are not welded but you may find that they are severly corroded in which case your dremel and a punch will be your only option.

Yep, thanks - think I'll have the original ones out and replace with some SS jobbies before they fail on me.

14 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

Might want to get some brass nuts for the s/s bolts as they will bond and be as hard to get off next time otherwise 

Good point and why you'll nearly always see brass nuts where there's heat - headers, manifolds etc so quite why Porsche use this mild steel cr*p is a cost cutting mystery to me.  Perhaps also explains why the OEM pads are Galfer in a Brembo caliper - only ever had Brembo pads in Brembo calipers on my bikes and the original pads now I have them out are brittle and cracked - pleased they're changed..

Pleased to report a significant improvement in the braking department. The front nearside wear indicator was the one that was touching although each corner was close. 

The OEM pads were all brittle and the rears quite cracked.  If you have a low mileage car that’s a few years old I’d advise having a look even if your pads are not down that far..

• 1 month later...

Archived