Front Shock replacement

Frankp2112

Hi,

I am preparing a shopping list of items I need to buy to replace the front shocks - can anyone advise if I have missed anything and have any suggestions I would be grateful.

Shocks (obviously)

Dust cover bellows

Bump stops or additional spring

bearings

top mount

new nut for top of shock

Will I be able to reuse the other bits?

thanks

Frank

I seem to remember a foam ring at either the top or bottom of the spring when I did mine, but that could have been on the rear. Also if you have trouble removing the drop link as I did, you may need to buy new ones.

When I did mine I re-used stuff that seemed in good condition or could be serviced. Bump stops were perished on mine, but bellows were fine. Top mounts were a bit rusty, but soon cleaned up. Bearings in the top mounts were a bit dry and dirty,  so they were cleaned and regreased.

Check if you have a 7mm Allen key to hold the strut while you undo the top nut. They do not seem to be present in most Allen key sets and I had to buy a special socket.

1 minute ago, Nobbie said:

I seem to remember a foam ring at either the top or bottom of the spring when I did mine, but that could have been on the rear.

That will be the rubber bits (porsche call them compensation plates) that sit on top of the springs. Should be fine to reuse them. 

drop links - they often need cutting off and are only about £13 ea

If you are doing new dampers, I'd seriously consider new springs.

ps. fronts didn't need spring compressors when Molly had her update

Archived