Classic policy vs normal car insurance?

TV8

Having had a modified car for a few years that was difficult to insure when you live in South London, I have been very surprised at how competitive Churchill Insurance have been on a normal car insurance policy for a similar performance/value car. There are a couple of things that I don't get but having checked a few companies, for 5000 miles, they are between 40 and 60% cheaper for a normal policy with no NCB at the start compared with a classic policy. Also, I don't have to join PCGB or keep the car in the garage overnight and I have business use and build up additional NCB as well, so overall a really good deal.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

Yes, same. I switched from a classic policy some years back to a regular policy now on a multicar with admiral.   Boxster costs the least of the my three cars to insure by quite some way (about 30% of the cost of the next most expensive) and no restrictions on it other than I think 5k miles. 

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Thanks for confirming. I get AA breakdown with my bank account so it’s just euro cover that I don’t have.

Yes another shout for Admiral here. Could never find a classic quote that was better than having the Boxster on the Admiral multicar. Again its the cheapest of 4 cars and on 8000 miles a year. No add on other than legal but again my bank account gives breakdown, forign travel and various other bits. Plus the the big benefit, in my eyes at least,  I get four cars covered in one deal, simples !

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) I am old enough to qualify for SAGA insurance (oh, the shame of it...! :blush:), which means for the Boxster I pay just under £18 per month.  Mileage is declared as 8000 per year, and excess is £150, so I think that's a pretty good deal.  If I'd paid in one lump sum it would have been about 20 quid cheaper in total, but I prefer to spread the cost over the year.  I've got 10 years NCD, with one claim in the past few years, but I have protected no claims.  When I looked on Confused.com SAGA weren't the cheapest, but the few that were slightly cheaper had much higher excesses, so it was a no-brainer.  I was already insured with SAGA for my previous car as well :thumbsup_still:

27 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) I am old enough to qualify for SAGA insurance (oh, the shame of it...! :blush:), which means for the Boxster I pay just under £18 per month.  Mileage is declared as 8000 per year, and excess is £150, so I think that's a pretty good deal.  If I'd paid in one lump sum it would have been about 20 quid cheaper in total, but I prefer to spread the cost over the year.  I've got 10 years NCD, with one claim in the past few years, but I have protected no claims.  When I looked on Confused.com SAGA weren't the cheapest, but the few that were slightly cheaper had much higher excesses, so it was a no-brainer.  I was already insured with SAGA for my previous car as well :thumbsup_still:

Saga were the 1st people I tried and they were similar in price to my classic polices. My neighbour has a Boxster and suggested them but they quoted higher for the 911. 

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

Yes another shout for Admiral here. Could never find a classic quote that was better than having the Boxster on the Admiral multicar. Again its the cheapest of 4 cars and on 8000 miles a year. No add on other than legal but again my bank account gives breakdown, forign travel and various other bits. Plus the the big benefit, in my eyes at least,  I get four cars covered in one deal, simples !

It could be time to look at multi car. Do they allow you to have two or more drivers so multiple cars in use at the same time?

I have 2 cars with Aviva. You can benefit from 'multicar' discounts whether you have 1 or 2 policies and also in either scenario of same or different main drivers. I have a single 'multicar' policy but 2 different main drivers but all drivers allowed to drive both cars. Boxster is with a different insurer altogether. 

If going with Aviva sign up through Quidco. You get £50 cashback as a new customer and doing it online gets you a further saving. 

I must be one of the few people the PCGB policy works out for :) mine is garaged, agreed value is £8,500 which is a nice comfort this time of year, 5,000 mile limit, the policy is building up it's own NCB, got three lots of NCB and only two cars, good excuse for another car I guess, my premium was the same as last year, policy due again in December let's see what happens.  

6 hours ago, Southy said:

I must be one of the few people the PCGB policy works out for :) mine is garaged, agreed value is £8,500 which is a nice comfort this time of year, 5,000 mile limit, the policy is building up it's own NCB, got three lots of NCB and only two cars, good excuse for another car I guess, my premium was the same as last year, policy due again in December let's see what happens.  

Is that Locktons? They were the best of the rest but business use and must be garaged at night were a problem. The car is garaged but I am having some work done on the garage in the new year and on a previous classic policy, I had to put the car into storage elsewhere as they wouldn’t insure it on the drive/road. Churchill don’t care provided it’s at the post code (checked by phone)

3 hours ago, TV8 said:

Is that Locktons? They were the best of the rest but business use and must be garaged at night were a problem. The car is garaged but I am having some work done on the garage in the new year and on a previous classic policy, I had to put the car into storage elsewhere as they wouldn’t insure it on the drive/road. Churchill don’t care provided it’s at the post code (checked by phone)

Yeah it's Locktons, the policy has it limits for cover, i.e garaged, no commuting use etc, but it suits me, I can see why it doesn't for a lot of people. If I didn't have agreed value I'd probably be insured elsewhere.

3 hours ago, TV8 said:

That's odd, they must have changed it as I had the PCGB Locktons policy a couple of years ago and I don't have a garage and I'm pretty sure I would have been asked or checked🤔

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

That's odd, they must have changed it as I had the PCGB Locktons policy a couple of years ago and I don't have a garage and I'm pretty sure I would have been asked or checked🤔

I think that Post Code is a big factor in this. With my TVR / 911 Swap, I am paying well over 50% more than the old/new owner for the same cars as he lives down in rural Sussex.

Archived