Drivers side window regulator

stupidget

How do,

Looks like my drivers side window regulator has died.  Happened as I was entering a car park to get the ticket.  Managed to get the window back up with lots of creaking and grating, but when I came to leave the car park I had to open the door like a nob to put the ticket in, luckily there was nobody about 🙂

So has anybody changed their and if so how easy is it?

I had the same thing happen on my TT and got a replacement from eBay for £50 and the Boxster ones are about £70

Had to do this twice as used cheap regulator from Ebay, the latest one I bought is a pain as drops too low or raises too high whichever way its adjusted, strongly suggest don't use cheap ebay jobbies, just not worth it!

Also make sure when you refit membrane to get a really good seal or you will have soggy bottoms!  (Door card carpet wet)

20 minutes ago, the baron said:

I bought an original Bosch one from Eurocarparts, about £150 and fitted it myself, took about 2hrs and not difficult to do 

Did that come with the regulator motor as well?

I did mine a couple of years back. The only worrying bit was removing the airbag in the door - felt a bit like handling a grenade. Just be careful when you are removing the glass - make sure you mark exactly how it lines up in the mechanism or you could be adjusting it for ages.

1 hour ago, AMacdonald said:

I did mine a couple of years back. The only worrying bit was removing the airbag in the door - felt a bit like handling a grenade. Just be careful when you are removing the glass - make sure you mark exactly how it lines up in the mechanism or you could be adjusting it for ages.

Didn’t have an airbag in mine, but OP might have, as above handle with care, 

I’d didnt have to remove the window as far as i can remember but there are plenty of informative YouTube’s vids to help you.

looks like mine does have an airbag as it's got Airbag printed on the leather section just above the door handle.

17 hours ago, Boxob said:

Avoid the cheap window regulators. They do not last long from the reports on here. 

Seconded, according to it's service history my 986S had a non OEM passenger regulator fitted before my ownership in April 2017, just had to have it replaced with genuine OEM one by @Revolution Porsche after it failed completely few weeks ago, and it had started to go funny towards end of last year, definitely a false economy.

I bought 2nd hand...cleaned & greased it before fitting. Did not unplug the air bag... !

YouTube vids are a great help. Used mask tape to mark the window position in each carrier clamp. Also adjusted the clamp hight on the replacement to match the original. Went in no probs. Did the door latch swap while I was in there. All good now.

14 hours ago, JohnnyUK said:

I bought 2nd hand...cleaned & greased it before fitting. Did not unplug the air bag... !

YouTube vids are a great help. Used mask tape to mark the window position in each carrier clamp. Also adjusted the clamp hight on the replacement to match the original. Went in no probs. Did the door latch swap while I was in there. All good now.

I'm dropping the car off next week at my local garage for them to diagnose that it's actually the regulator, as I suppose it could be the cable.  I suppose the problem of getting a second hand one is that there's always that risk that it's only got a few more up 'n downs left in it 🙂 .  

My passenger side failed (cable broke) got replacement from Steve Strange at Douglas Valley off his eBay shop (about £60).  Worked on the basis that I could change it 3 times at his prices verses a new Porsche one or twice verses others.  My car has airbags so just did not disconnect, but did disconnect the battery before working on it.  Took me around the 1½hour mark to do as a first attempt in all but I had to take time out to get more door card retaining clips as most broke when I removed the door card (<£10).  If I needed to do it again probably less than an hour.  I carefully peeled the membrane back and used a good VHB double sided tape to reseal to the door once I'd finished to prevent water ingress to the interior. All good so far.

Stripped the motor off the original unit as a future spare just in case...

Archived