What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

7 hours ago, Raffe said:

Cars in at Indy having H&R springs fitted and they’ve advised of the crusty exhaust bolts (and sent a vid) where they look like they’ve been at the bottom of the ocean for the last 50 years.

Told them to go ahead and replace with stainless as don’t want a failure like I had on my 987 which then impacted our trip around the NC500 trying to find a garage to fix for half a day.

I carry a clamp in the glovebox now 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, andygo said:

As i don't want to fall foul of fitting a non Porsche oil filer when I carry out my GTS's 5,000 mile oil change I popped down to my OPC to buy a filter which I thought was about £16 or so.

5000 mile oil change !! , does it get tracked ?

It's done 5000 miles since it was serviced at Porsche. Its had a good seeing to at Spa in between and I just like to know where I'm up to with these things, especially as Porsche had to replace the rear calipers. The inner bleed nipples were completely seized just 3 months after an alleged brake fluid flush... They had never been touched in years!

Edited by andygo

On 2/22/2023 at 1:04 PM, Raffe said:

Cars in at Indy having H&R springs fitted and they’ve advised of the crusty exhaust bolts (and sent a vid) where they look like they’ve been at the bottom of the ocean for the last 50 years.

Told them to go ahead and replace with stainless as don’t want a failure like I had on my 987 which then impacted our trip around the NC500 trying to find a garage to fix for half a day.

52706910956_355ab1a0c2_k.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/21/2023 at 12:58 PM, emil2099 said:

Made the doors heavier with Dynamat. Also fixed a couple of places for potential creaks and rattles whilst at it. And before anyone says anything, yes, I realise this may be a bit of a snake oil, but can’t do much harm either way - right?

Said Colin Chapman, never.

Just add lightness weight.

23 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Said Colin Chapman, never.

Just add lightness weight.

Not relevant to sound or vibration, but as Jochen Rindt was advised by his friend/manager Bernie Ecclestone (before he was a team owner) 'If you want to be World Champion, drive for Lotus.  If you want to live, drive for Bramham.' 

He chose Lotus and became the, so far thankfully, only posthumous F1 world champion in 1970.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:30 PM, Raffe said:

I’ve not collected it yet, Indy sent me a pic but I’ll report back tomorrow once collected.

I mentioned the adaption on PIWIS for the shorter spring which they said they would sort too.

I do enjoy mine since having the kit fitted, although it can be a tad bouncy on the 19" winters compared to the 20 " summers.

I am currently in the process of trying to re-align the dipped beam as I have definitely lost the distance they had before the install.  MOT man said I had plenty of margin to play too.

Most seem to refuse to touch due to the self adjusting system of the PDLS.

20 minutes ago, Patt said:

I do enjoy mine since having the kit fitted, although it can be a tad bouncy on the 19" winters compared to the 20 " summers.

I am currently in the process of trying to re-align the dipped beam as I have definitely lost the distance they had before the install.  MOT man said I had plenty of margin to play too.

Can you jack it another 10 mm and draw a line where the beam is and then increase to suit 😂

With the wrecked lights I bought all stripped down, I dropped the headlight inners at the painters today to black them out.

6 hours ago, Patt said:

Took it out for an hour Saturday in the dry, feels great.

In a years ownership and 3.5k milers I don’t think I’ve driven it in the dark so will have no idea on headlight range.

3 hours ago, andygo said:

Priced up the cost of Genuine Porsche GT4 side scoops and associated bits.

£1,080 inc VAT.

There maybe should be a thread on here entitled, "What I won't be doing to my 981 today"...

EBay side scoops!

The Ebay ones are on my car, I'm finding the double sided tape a bit hit and miss at the top end of the scoop.

I was at Poersche reading today and had a good look at a GT4. The genuine side scoops are wafer thin by comparison to the chunkier ebay ones (that still look good, mind).

Mine are secured, so can't fall off in theory, but the fit, although initially looking perfect and snug, seem to relax along the top horizontal edge after a week or so.

The Ebay scoops have a slight channel of 1mm that the tape is meantt to locate in and then stick to the body panel. However the 3M tape is only 1.1mm thick which is less than ideal. I can get 1.5mm thick tape, but its a 6 week delivery time apparently. I'm going to try double layers of tape to alleviate that problem.

Edited by andygo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, andygo said:

The Ebay ones are on my car, I'm finding the double sided tape a bit hit and miss at the top end of the scoop.

I was at Poersche reading today and had a good look at a GT4. The genuine side scoops are wafer thin by comparison to the chunkier ebay ones (that still look good, mind).

Mine are secured, so can't fall off in theory, but the fit, although initially looking perfect and snug, seem to relax along the top horizontal edge after a week or so.

The Ebay scoops have a slight channel of 1mm that the tape is meantt to locate in and then stick to the body panel. However the 3M tape is only 1.1mm thick which is less than ideal. I can get 1.5mm thick tape, but its a 6 week delivery time apparently. I'm going to try double layers of tape to alleviate that problem.

I think the tape varies. I believe my tape to be genuine 3m stuff and mine seems to be holding.

But I fitted some black trims to the wife’s mini the other day and they were secured with 3m red tape and my god that stuff was sticky! If you didn’t get it on correct first time there was no way you could remove it and have another go. This stuff was super sticky, if I could find some tape like that I would be happy they would never come off 😂

7 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I think the tape varies. I believe my tape to be genuine 3m stuff and mine seems to be holding.

But I fitted some black trims to the wife’s mini the other day and they were secured with 3m red tape and my god that stuff was sticky! If you didn’t get it on correct first time there was no way you could remove it and have another go. This stuff was super sticky, if I could find some tape like that I would be happy they would never come off 😂

This is the 3m VHB stuff I used: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233840867220?var=533502076125

Seems rock solid at first, then comes apart. I also tried this: https://amzn.eu/d/0bqzb43   Again,3m tape and very sticky.

It looks the same as what I used and the same as on those mini trims.

I had some Spyder splitters on my 987 and they came with some 3m tape on them and they were mega sticky and never came loose. That’s why I wonder if there are different types even though they look the same, as everything with it pre installed seems stronger.

10 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

It looks the same as what I used and the same as on those mini trims.

I had some Spyder splitters on my 987 and they came with some 3m tape on them and they were mega sticky and never came loose. That’s why I wonder if there are different types even though they look the same, as everything with it pre installed seems stronger.

I rang up 3M customer support and they were useless. I rang up a local distributer and they hadn't got a clue either, although to be fair it wasn't their main part of their business.

It's odd, because the rest of the tape is holding perfectly, eg at the lower end of the scoop.

Edited by andygo

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

1.1mm in a 1mm channel should be good.  10% compression should work as the adhesive is pressure activated.  @Patt, your area of expertise I believe.

I have just ordered some 3M 1.5mm deep  x 12mm VHB tape after a chat with a distributers tech expert.

0.1 mm perhaps isn't really enough when you consider thats only 0.05mm each side compression.

Firstly adhesives are activated by either chemical reactions, either two chemicals joining or the addition/subtraction of oxygen.

Secondly the 1.1mm quoted does not mention at what state that was measured.

I am not an expert on the 82,000+ 3M products, but I certainly know more than most. 

I have always been told the many fake tapes on the market usually don't have the colour corrugated cores with colour print as these are expensive to produce. I have also used many of the products as I was able to obtain them for free, or a donation to charity.

I have stuck many things with VHB and never had it fail.  If both surfaces were totally clean of dirt and oils/waxes, there should be no issue with bond at all. 

If the issue is cosmetic, then I suggest remove the tape and use a liquid instead.  IIRC brands as Tigerseal/Sikaflex no nails etc.

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Firstly adhesives are activated by either chemical reactions, either two chemicals joining or the addition/subtraction of oxygen.

Secondly the 1.1mm quoted does not mention at what state that was measured.

I am not an expert on the 82,000+ 3M products, but I certainly know more than most. 

I have always been told the many fake tapes on the market usually don't have the colour corrugated cores with colour print as these are expensive to produce. I have also used many of the products as I was able to obtain them for free, or a donation to charity.

I have stuck many things with VHB and never had it fail.  If both surfaces were totally clean of dirt and oils/waxes, there should be no issue with bond at all. 

If the issue is cosmetic, then I suggest remove the tape and use a liquid instead.  IIRC brands as Tigerseal/Sikaflex no nails etc.

Interesting , thanks. I'll give the surfaces another clean down with alcohol prior to my reinstall. It's odd, because as I mentioned, the lower part of the scoop has always held firm. Perhaps the upper, horizontal part of the scoops attach to a more flexible part of the bodywork, obviously flexing at my normal 180mph cruising speed on the M1.

I supect the .4mm thicker tape will resolve the issue. Due to the large roll I had to buy, I'm going to have a lot of spare tape to play around with.