What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

4 hours ago, alank said:

where is Rajs simplified video , thanks

As linked below your post 👍

However, just a tip:

I followed the video to the letter on the passenger side, but simplified the process by not taking off the inner door threshold panel and rubber door seal on the passenger side.

The outer tread plate slides outwards without needing to remove them, so the passenger side took about 15 mins less than the driver's side all told.

I went back and checked all the big plastic twist fasteners after Patt's warning, they make a click when they seat properly.

It's a relief that it's all done. 👍

• Like 2

Decided to blast my drains out ( 6 off, 2 large and 4 small holes in top of door pillar rubber)  It came out as quick as it went in so assume everything is clearish, ahead of Storm agnus this afternoon , 8 inches of rain in scotland, that will fry many a 981 computer

Picked up a chip in the windscreen. Drivers side in the drivers eye line. But here’s the annoying thing. Too small to repair and doesn’t affect the screens integrity. So apparently not an MOT failure 🤬 As such I doubt it’s an insurance job. But I haven’t approached them on it as I’m of the opinion they’re going to say following an inspection it’s fine and a change would only be for cosmetic reasons. Which I doubt they would pay for. Price I’ve been quoted for an exact replacement is £535 fitted. 🤬🤬🤬

29 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Picked up a chip in the windscreen. Drivers side in the drivers eye line. But here’s the annoying thing. Too small to repair and doesn’t affect the screens integrity. So apparently not an MOT failure 🤬 As such I doubt it’s an insurance job. But I haven’t approached them on it as I’m of the opinion they’re going to say following an inspection it’s fine and a change would only be for cosmetic reasons. Which I doubt they would pay for. Price I’ve been quoted for an exact replacement is £535 fitted. 🤬🤬🤬

Just had a replacement through my insurance company, if I'd had a crystal ball at the time I would of paid for the screen out of my own pocket and not had 4 weeks of being f'd around. The replacement is a St Gobain screen as the original but the gap to the frame seems larger all-round. 

I've gone for PPF on the new screen to avoid going through that again

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Just had a replacement through my insurance company, if I'd had a crystal ball at the time I would of paid for the screen out of my own pocket and not had 4 weeks of being f'd around. The replacement is a St Gobain screen as the original but the gap to the frame seems larger all-round. 

I've gone for PPF on the new screen to avoid going through that again

Yes I’d definitely think of PPF if I bite the bullet and can’t live with the chip. Which PPF did you go for and if you don’t mind sharing what were the costs 👍

I know I'm in the minority but I struggle with the cost of PPF these days as it's getting to the point where it's costing more for the stuff than repairing or in some cases replacing what you are trying to protect in the first place.

3 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I know I'm in the minority but I struggle with the cost of PPF these days as it's getting to the point where it's costing more for the stuff than repairing or in some cases replacing what you are trying to protect in the first place.

I’m with you, I think on a brand new car you could justify the cost but on a used car that has probably picked up a few marks it’s too expensive 😩

21 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Yes I've only done the windscreen due to the old one getting 3 large chips in it in 1 year until it finally cracked, then hassle getting it replaced. I'm not a big fan of it unless its new car.

Not to give out to much detail but the place that did my windscreen had a P car in for all its PPF removed prior to some accident damage repairing. The approved repairer insisted all the PPF was removed to ensure colour match and warranty the repair. So several thousand pounds worth in the bin.👎

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2023 at 1:42 PM, cozzykim said:

Finally decided to do my drains, following Raj's simplified YT video.

Took about 40 mins, as I was being careful.

PXL-20231017-123108255-1.jpg

Just watched the vid

Why do these need to refitted?

Wouldn't it be best to just leave them off altogether - all 4 of them 

On 10/18/2023 at 10:15 PM, Tony Daniel said:

Yes I've only done the windscreen due to the old one getting 3 large chips in it in 1 year until it finally cracked, then hassle getting it replaced. I'm not a big fan of it unless its new car.

Not to give out to much detail but the place that did my windscreen had a P car in for all its PPF removed prior to some accident damage repairing. The approved repairer insisted all the PPF was removed to ensure colour match and warranty the repair. So several thousand pounds worth in the bin.👎

I think Porsche are selling a PPF option now.  Think I saw it mentioned somewhere.  Not sure if it is dealer fit though.

But yeah I got my car painted for cheaper than a wrap.  Some people are switching to coloured PPF now instead of wraps.

I think this stuff is too expensive.  If it was cheaper than paint - or painting - we would all be using it.

On 10/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, alank said:

6 off, 2 large and 4 small holes in top of door pillar rubber

I'm now stressing about damp inside the car - thanks lads

Didn't follow what you meant here - are there even more drains to stress about other than the 4 inside the rear of the side skirts?

I do have my cover on so hopefully this will help if mine are gunged up a bit.  Its worth mentioning my car lives outside so it is more likely to be bad or that's my paranoia talking.  Library pic

20230908-153648.jpg

3 hours ago, ATM said:

Just watched the vid

Why do these need to refitted?

Wouldn't it be best to just leave them off altogether - all 4 of them 

The idea I suppose is that it prevents things entering or crawling up the tube, the consequence of blockage is worse so it makes sense to remove the guard or leave them off altogether. 

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

The idea I suppose is that it prevents things entering or crawling up the tube, the consequence of blockage is worse so it makes sense to remove the guard or leave them off altogether. 

I recently pulled out a headlight from my 996.  There is usually a rubber bung which plugs a hole in the froot where you get access to the headlight locking screw thingy.  Anyway the bung was missing and I found some monkey nut / monkey nut shells behind the froot carpet.  So I am assuming a squirrel has got in there and used it as a hidy hole for his monkey nuts.

• Haha 1