Heated Seat Controls + Heated Seats turning off

iborguk

Wondered if I could get some thoughts on this please - thanks !

The Car

2006 987.1 2.7 with Climate Control + Heated Seats

The Problem

Had two occasions now when the heated seat controls turn themselves off and the heated seats stop working for a period.

First was late August , roof down, outside temp 15 degrees, running time approx 40 mins at motorway speeds - heater blower on - mid 20's. Drivers heated seat on at top setting.

Second was today, roof down, outside temp 3 degrees, running time again approx 40 mins at motorway speeds - heater blower on HI. Drivers heated seat on at top setting.

On both occasions driver's seat heating turned off and the seat heater controls for both the passenger and driver's side turned off/were non responsive. All other controls on the climate control unit were fine.

In both cases I left the car standing for about 30 mins and then the controls + seats started working again.

I also did a roof down run this morning in near zero again with blower and heated seats on without issue, so it's an intermittent issue.

No codes were logged at the first incident and I suspect the same will be true this time.

Car has a week 15, 2018 original Porsche battery on it and is regularly on a CTEK.

I'd appreciate any insight on what this could be related to.

Is there a thermal trigger somewhere ?

Many Thanks !

It will be a safety cut out you will probably find that one of the heater pads is breaking up and causing a short. The car will shut it does as a safety precaution. It will probably reset when the ignition is turned off then on.

I has this on my 208GTI start of the year then the heated seat failed completely.

I put money on it being a similar issue.

Thanks. Tried a ignition reset and no dice - controls didn't come back on. 30 min park up reset it - so feels more like temp.

I've used the seats without issue plenty of times between the two events, so would kind of expect to see a more regular shutdown if a short and no codes registered.

Wondering if "I'm just holding it wrong" and the cabin temp sensor is tripping the system out.

Need to get it back on PIWIS. 

Naaa I would very much doubt that....it could be a fractured wire on the drivers seat pad thats causing it.

You could check the wires that come out of the base of the seat but I do suspect its the actual heating pad in the seat :( 

Yup could be intermittent electrical thing - tricky to diagnose without a hard code being thrown or stuff being stripped down.

My head went to thermals due to the similar duration before each event but could be swamp gas off Venus without the aforementioned.

The info below is cut & pasted from the 2005 Service Technik.  This looks to be the same as you PMed me.

"The vehicle electrical system control unit controls the heating elements in the seat directly (heating-up phase) and reports the relevant heat status (setting 2 or setting 1) back to the control panel. This heating status is indicated to the user via the LED in the seat heating button.

The operating time during the heating-up phase is based on the interior temperature (CAN signal) according to the selected heat setting:

• Level 2 (at 40 °C to <-20 °C, or 104 °F to <-4 °F) heats from 2.2 to a maximum of 11.0 minutes

• Level 1 (at 40 °C to <-20 °C, or 104 °F to <-4 °F) heats from 0.5 to a maximum of 9.2 minutes

After the heating-up phase the control unit switches to the continuous heating phase. The vehicle electrical system control unit now reduces the heating power of level 2 to 40 % and level 1 to 14 %."

Thanks re the info and yes I do like it toasty.

The concern here is it actually shutting itself off - doesn't feel right with the roof down and when yesterday dealing with a temp of 3 degrees on the outside.

Gonna get it to a PIWIS and see what gives this time.

Thanks for trying. 35 to 40 mins seems to be the trigger point for mine and it does it on either low or high settings. Think my HVAC unit has a fault , fortunately have warranty coverage but as they couldn’t repro it once already needed to help get a repro/error code if one triggered. 

-50C to +42C sample.  Looking forward to stealers explaining that as “tolerance”.  

seems madness that the ac unit (switches, buttons, sensor, sensor fan) is a single “non serviceable” unit. 

6 minutes ago, Paul P said:

-50C to +42C sample.  Looking forward to stealers explaining that as “tolerance”.  

seems madness that the ac unit (switches, buttons, sensor, sensor fan) is a single “non serviceable” unit. 

"You've got the roof in the wrong position for Winter sir"

"No, I'm haven't the roof is ruddy well down"

HVAC unit appears to be partly serviceable - e.g. things can be transplanted from another, buttons and the sensor fan is removable. Haven't dug into whether the sensor is.

So do we know where the cabin temperature sensor is located ?   I don’t think my hot air outlets are hot enough so perhaps related to this.  My Mx 5 heater is too hot so I have to turn the dial down. Even with the roof down.  I’d have thought the boxster would be at least as hot.  

9 minutes ago, iborguk said:

"You've got the roof in the wrong position for Winter sir"

"No, I'm haven't the roof is ruddy well down"

HVAC unit appears to be partly serviceable - e.g. things can be transplanted from another, buttons and the sensor fan is removable. Haven't dug into whether the sensor is.

But no official new part  supply.  Buttons are consumable (like the radio buttons that are available ) and a fan that’s what in reality 10 quids worth, call it 50 after factory markup vs 700’for a new unit.  

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, iborguk said:

New HVAC unit fitted under warranty , interior temp sensor confirmed as faulty.

Interesting post and a Good result then, warm bum once again by the sounds of it.

Guvs.

Archived