Changing a roof

Kennyfin73

Anyone tackled changing a roof. My roof is in decent condition but the plastic is cracked. Going for a new roof with glass window, does it come as a whole with the mechanism or  just the material?

Fancy giving it a go myself as I fear the only way to get it done properly here in Spain is from the dealer...££££ or €€€!

Probably be a new one from advert on this site. 
As i said its just the plastic thats gone, but with the effort to remove the roof, repair the plastic and reinstall you might as well upgrade to the glass and have a new roof i think. 

Don't replace the plastic, the glass is a revelation after having a plastic one, you can actually see out the back of the car and when it mists up you you just press a button and it demists like magic, modern inventions, just amazing, like running water and electricity. ahhhh.

The plastic window can be replaced and I think it's done in situ. In the UK it'll cost £200-300. If you can find a window made of TPU go for it (I've been unable to except in huge rolls). TPU is optically as good a glass, folds in freezing weather and doesnt need the "Boxster chop". It's used on the BMW Z8. Maybe you can find an EU supplier?

You could get a whole second hand roof from a breakers as this will include the frame. If you have the roof and frame its just 6 bolts and lift off to remove. This is what I did but be aware some electrics might need to be changed putting a later roof and frame on an older car, theres a US article on this somewhere online. I got lucky with an old roof that had a glass retrofit already for my 1999 car. Easy to spot difference between early and late roof frames is early have one less frame hoop than later ones. To put a new window and roof on your existing frame is a skilled job IMO. 

Get a second hand complete roof off a facelift, as said six bolts plus two on the crank arms (6mm make a note of the position) and disconnect the closure switch on the front of the left hand side frame pivot, easy enough on your own but considerably easier with a set of hands.

Archived