Time to say hello....again!

Manicatel

After a while away, the bug bit me, finances allowed & to be honest my will was weak, so along with the MacanS, I now have a 718. 

Daft time of year to buy a soft-top, but hey, I’ve got the good months ahead to look forward to.

Ive been fortunate to have had several Porsche’s over the years, starting back in the early 90’s with a 944s2.

This will be my 4th Boxster, so I guess there must be something about the model that always pulls me back in.

I have seen all the comments about the engine noise, but after a few minutes of warming up, it seems to fit the bill very nicely. 

The performance of the 718 with pdk is superb, probably equal to the 987S I loved a few years ago. The handling, ride, steering & interior is a notch above my previous boxsters & I cant wait to get the roof down & have some fun with the sun out.

49154452317_37c0a1d2f2_z.jpg7084BE56-03A1-4255-8D58-C3449E0271A7 by matt on Flickr

Lovely looking car...

those wheels are 🥰

Well ok, the Macan....

49157166227_58ea54e4fa_z.jpg78FF4E19-A8D5-448F-A8F0-6BA9083989B0 by matt randall, on Flickr

The 718 is being valeted tomorrow, so maybe I’ll get a couple of interior shots afterwards!

The Macan is fairly highly specc’d, with Pano roof, 18 way seats, 3 zone heating, pdsl lights & despite it being a 2016 model, it’s only just done 10k miles.

The 718 has a more modest spec, standard seats, stereo & steering wheel. I guess a heated steering wheel would have been ideal for top down driving in winter, & the PCM sat nav can’t do live traffic re-routing, which seems a bit daft. Apple CarPlay is an option, but as I would lose some of the PCM functions, I’m not sure (yet) that it’s worth the (£700or so?) cost. It’s just that a phone holder stuck in an air vent to use Waze seems a bit naff. Unless anyone has got a work-around?

Having said that, the PCM is far nicer than the previous gen I was used to & it’s just so great to drive, I can forgive it not being specc’d like an Xmas tree.

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys!

14 minutes ago, Manicatel said:

Well ok, the Macan....

49157166227_58ea54e4fa_z.jpg78FF4E19-A8D5-448F-A8F0-6BA9083989B0 by matt randall, on Flickr

Welcome to the Macan club too :)

Think there are a few of us on here who own them...

Time for a sub forum 😂 saves having to login to the Macan forums :)

Mines a Diesel S & high spec too 2015 model and now showing 24k. The only things missing which I would spec is a heated steering wheel as it’s used all year round and roof bars as they can’t be retrofitted.

Drove mine to see the folks in Ireland last month and used the opportunity to drive around their garden in it 😂

731-E6453-D75-E-4-BD8-BAC2-79-F092-FE1-F

A 4x4 that’s actually off a road......how novel haha.

We had a heated steering wheel in the previous diesel Macan we had. It had the carbon fibre wheel which was freezing in winter & bloomin hot in the summer! So we used the heated wheel function a fair bit & this time the fmyear we do miss it, even thought the Macan has a more regular leather finish. Buying 2nd hand, can’t have everything on the wish list I guess! We’ll survive, I’m sure.

27 minutes ago, Manicatel said:

A 4x4 that’s actually off a road......how novel haha.

We had a heated steering wheel in the previous diesel Macan we had. It had the carbon fibre wheel which was freezing in winter & bloomin hot in the summer! So we used the heated wheel function a fair bit & this time the fmyear we do miss it, even thought the Macan has a more regular leather finish. Buying 2nd hand, can’t have everything on the wish list I guess! We’ll survive, I’m sure.

There was a virtually brand new OE Porsche carbon heated steering wheel on eBay recently and i considered buying it but my local OPC would not confirm whether it could be fitted & coded correctly even providing the part number so I decided against it.

To be honest, having had the carbon wheel, it’s not something I’d be particularly bothered about. It was bloomin cold in winter ( ok after a couple of minutes the wheel  heater cured that)  but in the summer, it got very hot in sunlight & it was only comfortable holding the small leather portions at 9 & 3 o’clock positions. It looked nice though. The wheel with the stereo etc controls, in leather with heating would be my choice.

23 hours ago, Manicatel said:

After a while away, the bug bit me, finances allowed & to be honest my will was weak, so along with the MacanS, I now have a 718. 

Daft time of year to buy a soft-top, but hey, I’ve got the good months ahead to look forward to.

Ive been fortunate to have had several Porsche’s over the years, starting back in the early 90’s with a 944s2.

This will be my 4th Boxster, so I guess there must be something about the model that always pulls me back in.

I have seen all the comments about the engine noise, but after a few minutes of warming up, it seems to fit the bill very nicely. 

The performance of the 718 with pdk is superb, probably equal to the 987S I loved a few years ago. The handling, ride, steering & interior is a notch above my previous boxsters & I cant wait to get the roof down & have some fun with the sun out.

49154452317_37c0a1d2f2_z.jpg7084BE56-03A1-4255-8D58-C3449E0271A7 by matt on Flickr

Welcome back. Car doesn't look bad for a 4 pot. ;) Is it a Dk Blue? Hard to tell from the pic.

To be honest, having had the carbon wheel, it’s not something I’d be particularly bothered about. It was bloomin cold in winter ( ok after a couple of minutes the wheel  heater cured that)  but in the summer, it got very hot in sunlight & it was only comfortable holding the small leather portions at 9 & 3 o’clock positions. It looked nice though. The wheel with the stereo etc controls, in leather with heating would be my choice.

10 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Welcome back. Car doesn't look bad for a 4 pot. ;) Is it a Dk Blue? Hard to tell from the pic.

Yep, metallic night blue with a black roof & grey interior.

The 4pot thing is always going to be a talking point,  but it’s just such a superb car, this criticism is soon forgotten.

I remember when the 996 came out & loads of people said it’s water cooled & so not a proper Porsche. A few years later, I don’t hear many complaining that the 997, 991 & 992 aren’t aircooled. Likewise with the electronic steering debate. I think the 4 pot thing will follow suit. 

If someone has a late 981, I can understand why they may not switch to a 718.

The sound of the 987 Cayman & Boxsters I’ve previously had was marvellous, but honestly I can’t get that upset about the 4 pot sound.

3 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Nice combination! I've a Macan and a Boxster too, both great cars to drive!

Yes, I do feel very fortunate to have a 2 Porsche line up!

I remember in my youth, owning a Porsche was always a dream for me & now we have 2. Luckily, my Mrs really enjoys driving & so loves the marque nearly as much as I do.

The Macan is excellent & does everything so well. (Ok the mpg could be better, but hey-ho.) We don’t do high mileage in either car.

For me it’s a dream combo.

Archived