Brake pipe replacement cost

myfirstboxster

All depends how OE you want to keep it. The prefab rear one that goes across the top of the engine bay can only be done with the gearbox out AFAIK, myself and others have just fed a pipe across and shaped it to fit. The rest are pretty simple but again depends whether you want the Porsche prefab pipes or get the Indy to make them as they go. I imagine you're looking in the region of £4-500 to have the whole lot done making your own pipes. 

Just been quoted about £230 by local indy for made up copper pipework to do just the 2 front to rear.  Considering setting about it with a friend who has a flaring tool instead, only issue might be seized up connectors, but the again I suspect the indy price might go up if there's too much of a problem with that.  What he did say though is that it is really only these two pipes under that car the become an issue with external corrosion, the two main ones across the front and rear of the chassis are well protected and so deteriorate much more slowly as they are much less exposed to road salt and moisture.

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2019 at 7:32 AM, ½cwt said:

Just been quoted about £230 by local indy for made up copper pipework to do just the 2 front to rear.  Considering setting about it with a friend who has a flaring tool instead, only issue might be seized up connectors, but the again I suspect the indy price might go up if there's too much of a problem with that.  What he did say though is that it is really only these two pipes under that car the become an issue with external corrosion, the two main ones across the front and rear of the chassis are well protected and so deteriorate much more slowly as they are much less exposed to road salt and moisture.

I had a quote last year for £200 for the front-to-rear pipes on my 03 car earlier this year, and a similar amount for the front pipes. The cost varied slightly according to whether I wanted to replace the whole pipe, or put joins in. 

Based on my car, I'd say that if the F->R pipes have deteriorated, then parts of both the front and rear pipes themselves will also have. The bits that run across the car are well shielded, but some of the bits of the same pipes that are in the wheelarches aren't covered by the liner. Some bits are covered by the liner so will be fine - it's really just a question of whether you want to replace the pipe into the union or put a new join in. In the end I replaced my own F->R pipes, and at the same time I did my own front pipes. The rears had already been done (previous owner). 

On 12/15/2019 at 7:32 AM, ½cwt said:

The cross pipe on the front of mine fell into two pieces as it was removed. It had failed just where it passes into the front RH wheelarch. It's very tricky to see and was never mentioned at the MOT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 9:09 AM, EeZee said:

£300 for both fronts and front to rear this week, in Surrey.

Mechanic reckoned it is near enough a full days labour (he’s relatively cheap for Surrey)

Good price, I need mine done but will no doubt stick with Lee at Cotswold Porsche

On 12/19/2019 at 9:09 AM, EeZee said:

£300 for both fronts and front to rear this week, in Surrey.

Mechanic reckoned it is near enough a full days labour (he’s relatively cheap for Surrey)

Whereabouts in Surrey please? 

• 2 years later...

Following my MOT this morning (and a repeated advisory on the brake pipes) my local garage quoted £550+VAT to do the rear, and front to back.  This is not a Porsche indi, but a good local garage I know well where both owners have Porsches and have done lots of them. They are expensive though. I'm in the process of getting a quote from a Porsche indi to compare.

Just had the quote through from a local Porsche indi (considered to be one of the affordable ones):

"The prices for brake pipe replacement are:

• Front to rear, and both rear body brake pipes - £200.57+VAT
  • 1 litre of brake fluid £19+VAT
  • Labour to remove gearbox, and replace rear body and front to rear brake pipes, and bleed braking system with fresh fluid - £760+VAT
  • Total including VAT - £1175.48

Please be aware there may be some additional parts required, exhaust clamps and parts like that."

Not sure why they’re quoting to remove the gearbox as you can replace the pipe without if you use cunifer which can be manipulated Ito shape. You would need to remove your Zeintech though. Assume first place agree.

The Zeintech will be the kicker on that labour cost.  But yes, you can feed cunifer either way from the engine bay out of one wheel arch and then back in as you form the shape, or worst case put an inline connector in to do it in 2 parts.  The original steel pipe l-r on the rear is no longer available from Porsche.

I hadn't even considered removal of the top - yikes.

The indi which quoted have never seen the car so they don't know about the top.  Luckily it's not madly urgent, but might fail the MOT next year on the corrosion.

Edit: I wonder if they're quoting for original Porsche pipes, hence them mentioning the gearbox removal. If Porsche pipes are prone to corroding then I definitely don't want them!

Edited by Photogirl

• 1 month later...

Our 986 has just failed it MOT for the front/rear pipe leaking!  It was OK this morning, not a drip on the floor and pedal felt OK but it decided it was time to let go whilst on test :(  Very much leaking now.

Anyway, I'll be tackling this myself.  What diameter pipe do I need?