Boxster Hard Top or not?

Jason Carter

PaulQ, the hardtop in Guards Red is from my old car and if you can find anyone that would bring it to you (or somewhere nearer you) I could transport it to one of the service stations on the bits of the M25 that are nearish.   My new car came from Devon - makes for a nice drive!

thanks to the Baron for the note on marks to the roof.   I had those circles on the black roof of the old car; very hard to notice them.   Current hood is in Metropole  blue, so might be more noticeable.   In any event, I’m going to sell the hardtop and enjoy the upgraded roof, glass screen and added sounds.  Not sure that Guards Red roofs go with cobalt blue paintwork anyhow!

cheers

Chaz

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

PaulQ, the hardtop in Guards Red is from my old car and if you can find anyone that would bring it to you (or somewhere nearer you) I could transport it to one of the service stations on the bits of the M25 that are nearish.   My new car came from Devon - makes for a nice drive!

Ok Chaz..... will give it some thought. 

This argument gets done to death every so often on the MR2 Roadster groups.

My first roadster came with a hard top, my second didn't and I drove to Doncaster and back in a day to purchase one, which shows the importance I put on having one.. My roadsters were both daily drivers, all year round, and had the hard tops on as soon as the bad weather kicked in until spring. I could put mine on and off by myself if needed to. Personally I would not have been without one. It also helps when you use one for seven winters and sell it for what it cost you.

Boxster and MR2 are obviously different, to me the MR2 looked better with the hard top on.

If the OP is dailying the car all year round and I would say get a hard top, winter is obviously where they come into their own. 

17 hours ago, Fin said:

Ok it makes it look like a Cayman , but its not is it?  its a full fledged 986 Boxster ,   be proud of the skin you live in.

Roof down and loving it  .

I don't put the roof down that much.

Yes I know I should have bought a 911 or Cayman, but you can't buy either for 3k.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:00 PM, Scubaregs said:

This argument gets done to death every so often on the MR2 Roadster groups.

My first roadster came with a hard top, my second didn't and I drove to Doncaster and back in a day to purchase one, which shows the importance I put on having one.. My roadsters were both daily drivers, all year round, and had the hard tops on as soon as the bad weather kicked in until spring. I could put mine on and off by myself if needed to. Personally I would not have been without one. It also helps when you use one for seven winters and sell it for what it cost you.

Boxster and MR2 are obviously different, to me the MR2 looked better with the hard top on.

If the OP is dailying the car all year round and I would say get a hard top, winter is obviously where they come into their own. 

I assume the older the soft top, the further north the owner (ie the colder and wetter the winter), and the more the car is driven for commuting, the more likely a hard top makes sense.  To each their own decision.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I assume the older the soft top, the further north the owner (ie the colder and wetter the winter), and the more the car is driven for commuting, the more likely a hard top makes sense.  To each their own decision.

Soft top on my 2nd roadster never saw a winter and was immaculate when the car was sold, even after 7 years. Was particularly glad of it on Guy Fawkes night too.

Archived