Water leak

Freeman

After returning from work I washed and waxed the car and then opened the front to connect the battery maintainer, what I found was a little pool of water at the bottom, so I removed all panels and pulled the trims out to be dried before refitting. This is the second time it has happened, the first time was after a period of heavy rain which caused the fuses of the communication centre and the Bose amplifier blew.

I checked all around the seal and made sure that it is positioned correctly, all seems to be ok.

Any idea how the water is finding its way in? 

Thanks.

Check the drains around the battery.  Google is your friend for exact location but  take the battery cover off and have a look around you should be able to see any evidence of water pooling. 

Definitely the drains in the battery compartment.        Pull off all the plastic trim and get in there.  My preferred method is to put my pressure washer on it’s lowest setting and blast water down the drain holes by putting the end of the nozzle right in the top of the drain hole.   A good blast and they’ll be cleared.   Clear out the whole area while in there too. 

I’ve struggled with the trombone cleaner I use on the other cars.   The brush bit is just too big for the hole I find.  I could cut it down but won’t. The pressure washer idea works brilliantly.   Just don’t use a super powerful one.  Common sense I realise but worth mentioning 

39 minutes ago, Def1 said:

987.1 has 8 drainage holes total 4 rear and 4 in the front , 👍

That's interesting, I've cleaned out 2, I wonder where the other 6 are...?  Any clues gladly received, thanks :thumbsup_anim:

there are some very good guides On the drain locations if you use Google.  Most stuff is there on the drains including some nice pictures.  

for instance.  “Typing 987 drain holes” brings this up as number 1 in the search

it’s amazing what you can find on the internet with hardly any effort !

13 hours ago, Davey P said:

That's interesting, I've cleaned out 2, I wonder where the other 6 are...?  Any clues gladly received, thanks :thumbsup_anim:

According to Porsche planning, just look for your most expensive control modules, the drains should be just above.

I’d still clean them out as you can find they are partially blocked and the water won’t escape quick enough so I’m heavy rain or washing the water backs up and overflows.  

incant see any other way water can get into your front boot. Unless the rubber seal is damaged which is obvious. 

Am still chasing the leak and this morning the inside top of the bonnet was covered with ice, so again took all trims out and with a very powerful torch searched the areas around the draining holes and the battery. I have noticed a very wet area to the right hand side of the battery (looking from the front of the car) and to the left of the aircon filling point, the area around the drain point was dry, the drain point is unblocked.

The drainage diagram (986) in this old thread (as pointed out by sa utah) shows only X2 drain points but def1suggests 4 points. Are there another 2 under the battery? Just don't fancy to remove it and then to have all issues with windows not closing.

Thanks

Archived