Boxster spend

rhys57

27 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

A lot of money, but of that lot how much was essential expenditure and how much was 'improvements' or 'renovation'? 

I wonder how much it would be if you had not done the things highlighted on the list above, or chosen a cheaper brand of shock absorber than Bilstein perhaps? 

There is nothing wrong with a desire to improve your P&J but I'm not sure you can claim that it is all essential expenditure. 

Prob about 4k mate lol 

13 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

cheers Chris, but even £1900 on a service for a car that's done 20k is excessive - i mean what can need done after 20k?

Was not really needed its just how I operate, being a new to me car and one that I will probably keep for a good few years meant I wanted everything checked and replaced to get the best possible start with my first rally into Porsche ownership. when I picked it up it had been serviced by Colchester Porsche, but only a minor including new belt. So 3k miles later I went to Tonbridge Porsche and had all fluids replaced, including PDK box and clutch, brake fluid, another belt, major service, 4 wheel alignment, coolant, aircon regas and system check, 111 point check, plugs and coils, filters including cabin etc all done. This gave me the confidence in the car going forward, then to start upgrading a little..... I am like this with my bikes.....a little over the top maybe?

44 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

I wonder how much it would be if you had not done the things highlighted on the list above, or chosen a cheaper brand of shock absorber than Bilstein perhaps? 

You cant be buying cheaper dampers to save money.  Please dont do that.

DIY is the key here.  Its easier said than done so I am saying it.

I've changed a couple of window regulators on my 996 so now I'm a DIY hero.  I've also rebuilt my 981 write off - which was just bolting on some suspension bits basically.

I spent over 2 grand on my first service and that was all on tubes, pipes and cables.  Sure some of that could of been done myself but at the time I wasn't thinking about that and didn't know it would be 2 grand.  Now I've got my eyes open and also now that I've done a few jobs I can honestly say it feels good to do some jobs yourself.  No one should be paying anyone to do simple jobs like brakes on these cars.  They are an absolute doddle.  Even suspension bits are simple enough but a bit more involved than just brakes.  Some jobs I think you need a good mechanic for like drilling out manifold studs.

• Like 2

We really need to keep an eye on how much we spend, for our own sake. Its great being careful and getting things just right, even a bit OCD, but when you spend so much you could have a better car or even a new one, is that sensible?

£10k deposit and £399 a month gets you into a new Boxster. I know its only a flat 4, but....

It's a perennial debate but £10k deposit (if you have that much) is a cost of about £1000/yr (or more) in interest compared to having it in a half-decent savings account. And £399/month is £4788/year. 

That flat 4 boxster is therefore nearly £6k/year, plus whatever you'd have to pay when you hand it back (may be zero - I've never understood how such finance deals work.) And I doubt there are many people on here who have paid £6k in even one year on maintenance, let alone £6k each year on an ongoing basis. 

It's not for me, but buying new is clearly a good idea for some people as there are thousands who do exactly that. And I'm glad there are - if no-one bought a new car then there wouldn't be any second hand cars for us lot to buy. Once upon a time someone bought my car new, and they may have paid for it on finance.

• Like 1

This is on a 986, but gives an interesting way of looking at maintenance spend against mileage under the same owner after 30-40k. The early spend was a P/S pump done under warranty. The massive drop upto 150k was when I bought the car and it hasn't been near a garage since as I DIY. Do need to add about £1250 now as I've recently fitted a complete new M030 suspension and SS manifolds and exhaust.

image.png.f728a22dcada7f427e6745541605aa

Just now, jim o'hara said:

yes, but how much of that was actually necessary?

None really but my bumpers were chipped alot plus I want eibach pro springs fitted so I thought while it's getting striped I would replace the dampers and any other worn items 

2 minutes ago, rhys57 said:

None really but my bumpers were chipped alot plus I want eibach pro springs fitted so I thought while it's getting striped I would replace the dampers and any other worn items 

well there you go - the car hasn't cost you THAT much - you have chosen to replace items like clutch, coolant pipes etc

not real running costs in reality 

2 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

Was not really needed its just how I operate, being a new to me car and one that I will probably keep for a good few years meant I wanted everything checked and replaced to get the best possible start with my first rally into Porsche ownership. when I picked it up it had been serviced by Colchester Porsche, but only a minor including new belt. So 3k miles later I went to Tonbridge Porsche and had all fluids replaced, including PDK box and clutch, brake fluid, another belt, major service, 4 wheel alignment, coolant, aircon regas and system check, 111 point check, plugs and coils, filters including cabin etc all done. This gave me the confidence in the car going forward, then to start upgrading a little..... I am like this with my bikes.....a little over the top maybe?

OTT agreed

1 hour ago, Glosrich said:

We really need to keep an eye on how much we spend, for our own sake. Its great being careful and getting things just right, even a bit OCD, but when you spend so much you could have a better car or even a new one, is that sensible?

£10k deposit and £399 a month gets you into a new Boxster. I know its only a flat 4, but....

good point

45 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

This is on a 986, but gives an interesting way of looking at maintenance spend against mileage under the same owner after 30-40k. The early spend was a P/S pump done under warranty. The massive drop upto 150k was when I bought the car and it hasn't been near a garage since as I DIY. Do need to add about £1250 now as I've recently fitted a complete new M030 suspension and SS manifolds and exhaust.

image.png.f728a22dcada7f427e6745541605aa

i also don't get this

£8700 from 100k to 130k - WHY???

15 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

Ah, running costs....that's different, mine would have cost me 0 (zero) in necessary parts since purchase as its not due for a service until August 2020. Necessary as any car ….Insurance £300 per year, summer months fuel £100 per month (£6-700) tax £175 for 6 months x 2. Cheap motoring.

23 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

well there you go - the car hasn't cost you THAT much - you have chosen to replace items like clutch, coolant pipes etc

I'm afraid your wrong mate my clutch and flywheel were both goosed, plus my coolant pipes were corroded, if I were you mate I'd have a think about getting a porsche you may be surprised at the Maintenance costs. 

Just now, rhys57 said:

I'm afraid your wrong mate my clutch and flywheel were both goosed, plus my coolant pipes were corroded, if I were you mate I'd have a think about getting a porsche you may be surprised at the Maintenance costs. 

ive had 2 in the past, so too late  - lol - OK, so from the £4k, then probably £2k necessary for the clutch & coolant hoses

the point I'm trying to make is that there is a BIG difference in 'running costs' as opposed to 'total spend'

8 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Ah, running costs....that's different, mine would have cost me 0 (zero) in necessary parts since purchase as its not due for a service until August 2020. Necessary as any car ….Insurance £300 per year, summer months fuel £100 per month (£6-700) tax £175 for 6 months x 2. Cheap motoring.

my point exactly, so there is some real scaremongering on forums - buy a good car and the maintenance should not be too excessive 

2 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

ive had 2 in the past, so too late  - lol - OK, so from the £4k, then probably £2k necessary for the clutch & coolant hoses

the point I'm trying to make is that there is a BIG difference in 'running costs' as opposed to 'total spend'

Depends if you want a immaculate car I suppose mate 

2 minutes ago, rhys57 said:

Depends if you want a immaculate car I suppose mate 

And this is pretty much it. If you buy something that is not immaculate and make it immaculate then you are restoring it. This is not essential and hence the costs are not 'running costs', they are 'restoration costs'. 

There is nothing wrong with wanting your car to be nice but it's disingenuous to put a restoration cost down as a running cost. I'm with Jim and his comment about 'scaremongering'. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

And this is pretty much it. If you buy something that is not immaculate and make it immaculate then you are restoring it. This is not essential and hence the costs are not 'running costs', they are 'restoration costs'. 

There is nothing wrong with wanting your car to be nice but it's disingenuous to put a restoration cost down as a running cost. I'm with Jim and his comment about 'scaremongering'. 

absolutely agree 100% zcacogp

2 different things indeed - some of these indie garages are laughing all the way to the bank - lol

there are things on these cars that ARE expensive when they need replaced, but this thread proves, people do replace things for their own joy and not necessarily when they are required

jim

Correct Jim, it a piece of mind thing also....I relied on it for a few months and worried about the oily bits until I had the big service. Been all over it myself now and they are not as difficult as I first thought, I worried unnecessarily and spent out £££. I own some Italian motorcycles and every ride I have a what if moment, but it adds to the excitement.

25 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Correct Jim, it a piece of mind thing also....I relied on it for a few months and worried about the oily bits until I had the big service. Been all over it myself now and they are not as difficult as I first thought, I worried unnecessarily and spent out £££. I own some Italian motorcycles and every ride I have a what if moment, but it adds to the excitement.

cheers Chris - buy sensibly, replace when necessary, and whilst they will cost more, they shouldnt cost the earth (unless the engine goes bang - lol)

3 hours ago, zcacogp said:

It's a perennial debate but £10k deposit (if you have that much) is a cost of about £1000/yr (or more) in interest compared to having it in a half-decent savings account. And £399/month is £4788/year. 

That flat 4 boxster is therefore nearly £6k/year, plus whatever you'd have to pay when you hand it back (may be zero - I've never understood how such finance deals work.) And I doubt there are many people on here who have paid £6k in even one year on maintenance, let alone £6k each year on an ongoing basis. 

It's not for me, but buying new is clearly a good idea for some people as there are thousands who do exactly that. And I'm glad there are - if no-one bought a new car then there wouldn't be any second hand cars for us lot to buy. Once upon a time someone bought my car new, and they may have paid for it on finance.

Some good points there.

Where are you getting 10% interest, let me know please. I can only manage about 7-8%.

1 hour ago, jim o'hara said:

i also don't get this

£8700 from 100k to 130k - WHY???

All just replacing parts as they fail and servicing, tyres etc. Nothing done at OPC, mostly Northway Indy. It soon adds up.

front springs/discs

both coolant rads

AC rads

window reg and membrane

lower arm

gear shifter

header tank

exhaust flange bolts 

AC lines

MAF

brake pads

battery