Boxster spend

rhys57

5 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

All just replacing parts as they fail and servicing, tyres etc. Nothing done at OPC, mostly Northway Indy. It soon adds up.

front springs/discs

both coolant rads

AC rads

window reg and membrane

lower arm

gear shifter

header tank

exhaust flange bolts 

AC lines

MAF

brake pads

battery

alternator

door membrane

O2 sensor

Tip gearbox sump pan and fluid change

track rod ends

flange seal.

so probably neglected up to that mileage then

8 minutes ago, Glosrich said:

Some good points there.

Where are you getting 10% interest, let me know please. I can only manage about 7-8%.

https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/ Admittedly not the savings account I mentioned in my post but has produced an annualised return of over 19% since inception. 

(If you re-do  my earlier figures with 19% instead of 10% then that new car looks like worse and worse value. Viva la banger, eh?)

• Like 1

You have to remember that this is just a VERY small slice of ownership stats being discussed here, for every car that costs a bit, i'm pretty sure there are others that don't cost nearly as much. The OCD of the owner has a big bearing on it, and if thats what people want to do, they are more than welcome.

My gen 2 hasn't cost anywhere near some of the figures quoted here, but it has cost me money for parts that wear out after 10 years - but I also paid a higher initial price from a dealer who did a lot of work that would have cost £3k - brakes all round, condensor, pipes etc. Buy wise and it will pay back in the long run. I use an Indy for my servicing as it had already had a non-main dealer stamp in the history when i got it, so no need to maintain a full Porsche history - i'd rather use an indy i can trust to do the work instead.

but lets face it, any car will cost you money to maintain - you can buy anything and get unexpected bills. This Christmas my son's 09 Mini One has fleeced me of a new tyre, new windscreen, new MOT and a new Cat (to get it through the MOT) - Probably the best part of £800 for that - on a car thats is worth £1500? but you need to spend it otherwise without an MOT its worthless.

At least the Boxster retain a higher percentage of their costs than something more vanilla.

13 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

You have to remember that this is just a VERY small slice of ownership stats being discussed here, for every car that costs a bit, i'm pretty sure there are others that don't cost nearly as much. The OCD of the owner has a big bearing on it, and if thats what people want to do, they are more than welcome.

My gen 2 hasn't cost anywhere near some of the figures quoted here, but it has cost me money for parts that wear out after 10 years - but I also paid a higher initial price from a dealer who did a lot of work that would have cost £3k - brakes all round, condensor, pipes etc. Buy wise and it will pay back in the long run. I use an Indy for my servicing as it had already had a non-main dealer stamp in the history when i got it, so no need to maintain a full Porsche history - i'd rather use an indy i can trust to do the work instead.

but lets face it, any car will cost you money to maintain - you can buy anything and get unexpected bills. This Christmas my son's 09 Mini One has fleeced me of a new tyre, new windscreen, new MOT and a new Cat (to get it through the MOT) - Probably the best part of £800 for that - on a car thats is worth £1500? but you need to spend it otherwise without an MOT its worthless.

At least the Boxster retain a higher percentage of their costs than something more vanilla.

agreed Matt

There are so many different takes on this subject, always as many ways as there are to skin a cat, did I mention I hate cats.

I personally don't look at tyres, brake pads & disks, screen washer fluid as maintenance they are more like running cost just like putting petrol in the tank or paying road tax and insurance. You do the miles you pay the reaper.

Suspension, radiators, clutches, starter motors, water pumps, window regulators, exhausts etc. these are items that normally only get changed once or maybe twice in a cars life. If you pick the right car either they will never need done or they have been done already but you don't have to pay.

Now the real expense of a Boxster is driving down to AV8 on Sunday morning, cost to me £50. Then I got home and the daughter wanted to go for a blast round the lanes, another £20. All these drives just for the pure fun of it is what soon adds up. Can I nip out to Aldi to get some milk, why go to the one in Towcester which is 1 mile away when I can go to Aylesbury which is 50 miles away, cost of a pint of milk £20 or so. You will not catch me doing that in our Galaxy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

There are so many different takes on this subject, always as many ways as there are to skin a cat, did I mention I hate cats.

I personally don't look at tyres, brake pads & disks, screen washer fluid as maintenance they are more like running cost just like putting petrol in the tank or paying road tax and insurance. You do the miles you pay the reaper.

Suspension, radiators, clutches, starter motors, water pumps, window regulators, exhausts etc. these are items that normally only get changed once or maybe twice in a cars life. If you pick the right car either they will never need done or they have been done already but you don't have to pay.

Now the real expense of a Boxster is driving down to AV8 on Sunday morning, cost to me £50. Then I got home and the daughter wanted to go for a blast round the lanes, another £20. All these drives just for the pure fun of it is what soon adds up. Can I nip out to Aldi to get some milk, why go to the one in Towcester which is 1 mile away when I can go to Aylesbury which is 50 miles away, cost of a pint of milk £20 or so. You will not catch me doing that in our Galaxy.

lol - excellent reply 

1 hour ago, zcacogp said:

https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/ Admittedly not the savings account I mentioned in my post but has produced an annualised return of over 19% since inception. 

(If you re-do  my earlier figures with 19% instead of 10% then that new car looks like worse and worse value. Viva la banger, eh?)

Thanks

2 hours ago, zcacogp said:

I'm all in with Fundsmith, Lindsell Train, SMT etc but we're in the longest and best bull market of all time! I think more realistic is around 5% from somewhere like CTY..

Yearly I project the cost of my £15,000 2.9 PDK at £3050ish or £254/mth

£1300 depreciation

£750 opportunity cost

£1000 maintenance.

vs £850/mth for a new Boxster or maybe £250/mth for a bog standard Golf. 

I think it's a bit of a bargain really!

13 hours ago, rhys57 said:

So true this, porsche are not cheap cars to run but I simply love mine and the community etc, I'd hate to not own one. 

This ^^^ +1 

got bitten by the bug over 20 years ago and still putting up with the bills - own three of them now - how mad is that!

but there must be a reason I keep doing it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mat1 said:

I'm all in with Fundsmith, Lindsell Train, SMT etc but we're in the longest and best bull market of all time! I think more realistic is around 5% from somewhere like CTY..

£1300 depreciation

£750 opportunity cost

£1000 maintenance.

Depends on deposit of course, but a new Boxster is £469 a month, over 36 months with £10900 deposit on a PCP.

https://www.helstongarages.co.uk/porsche/new-car-offers/718-boxster/

1 hour ago, mat1 said:

£1300 depreciation

£750 opportunity cost

£1000 maintenance.

what's opportunity costs?

18 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

what's opportunity costs?

The money you miss out on by doing something. If you put down £10k on a car using money that would otherwise be earning interest then the opportunity cost is the interest it would otherwise earn - in this case a grand a year or so. 

Mat1, 

We're getting WAY off topic here but I think Terry Smith's approach is predominantly defensive so I suspect he will do well in a bear market. However opinions on this will differ and the debate will rage for a long time to come! 

Now, back to 987's. Are we all agreed that the Cayman is better than the Boxster? Good, I thought so.... :) 

1 minute ago, zcacogp said:

Mat1, 

We're getting WAY off topic here but I think Terry Smith's approach is predominantly defensive so I suspect he will do well in a bear market. However opinions on this will differ and the debate will rage for a long time to come! 

Now, back to 987's. Are we all agreed that the Cayman is better than the Boxster? Good, I thought so.... :)

Lol

I've spent just over £10 Grand in 4 years not because things failed I just wanted to keep it in good nick, it's 20 years old in May with 58000 miles on the clock, no they are not cheap to keep in good condition and hopefully I will now just spending on oil changes etc . I paid just over £6 grand for the car and I knew I would be spending money on it. I also think that if your intention is to keep the car long term and you have spare cash why not spend it on your pride and joy. I always keep a small kitty set aside just in case it's needed I hope it's not.

1 hour ago, petemac said:

I've spent just over £10 Grand in 4 years not because things failed I just wanted to keep it in good nick, it's 20 years old in May with 58000 miles on the clock, no they are not cheap to keep in good condition and hopefully I will now just spending on oil changes etc . I paid just over £6 grand for the car and I knew I would be spending money on it. I also think that if your intention is to keep the car long term and you have spare cash why not spend it on your pride and joy. I always keep a small kitty set aside just in case it's needed I hope it's not.

What have you had done mate is it a 986 

11 hours ago, Glosrich said:

£1300 depreciation

18 months ago I bought a 987.1 box for  £11.3k based on the knowledge that I'd have to spend on it (pre-inspection pushed the dealer's asking price down). If I'd taken the dealer offer at the weekend (against a >£35k Cayman), I'd have lost £4.5k.

Meh. Cheeky dealer of course, and I know the sport editions are still advertised for a minimum of what I paid (approx - cat C on auto trader is an exception). Decided to stick with what I've got for the moment at least. Depreciation is a tricky one.

10 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Mat1, 

Yeah i think Fundsmith is at the riskier end of funds at the moment, they only have about 30 company stocks all in the US afaik, so if the US economy goes down so does the fund.

No denying it has performed really well for the last 5 years, might be time to get out.

Just dont have all your eggs in one basket.

@Glosrich - not quite. 

It's less than 30 funds (I think it's 27, but let's go with 30). The benefits of diversification are touted by risk-averse financial advisers who never explain the down sides of it. Imagine one of those 30 companies disappears entirely and the stock is entirely worthless; your fund will lose a mere 3% of the value. Imagine you have diversified into 300 companies and one of them doubles in value; your fund will gain a mere 0.3% of the value. A reduction to zero value of one company is very unlikely but a substantial increase in value is quite likely. If you have confidence in the stock you buy then why put money elsewhere? As the strapline goes, "Buy good companies .... do nothing". 

It's nowhere near all US-based either - it currently lists 65.5% US-based. Currency fluctuations are far more of a concern than the whole of the US economy evaporating overnight. (An aside, but if the whole of the US economy was to disappear overnight then we'll all have much bigger problems than the loss of value in our investments!) 

I have put a LOT of my eggs in Terry's basket over the last 8 years. I've gone in with my eyes open, taken care to understand the risks and don't regret it; I'm up well over 350% in that time. It's not all roses; FEET has not been a success but I haven't written that one off yet. Smithson is yet to prove itself. 

Now, back to the superiority of the Cayman over the Boxster. Smutty comments aside, I notice that no-one has yet to disagree! 

Edited by zcacogp
Adding more detail.

2 hours ago, rhys57 said:

What have you had done mate is it a 986 

Yes mate it is a 986 I have done the following: All new suspension. new coils, plugs. MAF meter, water pump, IMS bearing, new clutch, all the brakes done discs pads. wheels refurbed, serpentine belt,  new thermostat, new lambda sensors  X2.  2 new drive shafts genuine Porsche parts very expensive. rear wheel bearings. Exhaust work just the bolts all corroded. coffin arms, drop links, oil changes, filter changes, new tyres,  Most of these parts were going to fail sooner or later hence the planned maintenance.  new coolant,  all the above done over a period of 4 years.

Regards   Pete

1 hour ago, Rob™ said:

18 months ago I bought a 987.1 box for  £11.3k based on the knowledge that I'd have to spend on it (pre-inspection pushed the dealer's asking price down). If I'd taken the dealer offer at the weekend (against a >£35k Cayman), I'd have lost £4.5k.

Yeah I would have said between 9k and 10k would be more reasonable for a quick sale. Assuming the repairs weren't crazy that's still not bad. Cheeky dealer though 😂

1 hour ago, petemac said:

Yes mate it is a 986 I have done the following: All new suspension. new coils, plugs. MAF meter, water pump, IMS bearing, new clutch, all the brakes done discs pads. wheels refurbed, serpentine belt,  new thermostat, new lambda sensors  X2.  2 new drive shafts genuine Porsche parts very expensive. rear wheel bearings. Exhaust work just the bolts all corroded. coffin arms, drop links, oil changes, filter changes, new tyres,  Most of these parts were going to fail sooner or later hence the planned maintenance.  new coolant,  all the above done over a period of 4 years.

Regards   Pete

Nice one