Boxster spend

rhys57

18 minutes ago, Glosrich said:

Don't take offence guys, it was meant as a light hearted comment, and only my opinion. We're all entitled to our own opinions aren't we?

Ironically if I ever buy a newer Porsche, it will probably be a Boxster, as I'd like to own one for a while.

I'm on here as its a good forum, and like yourselves I enjoy fixing and maintaining my own car to save a bit of money now and again.

no offence taken - hence the smiley face!  Porsche is a Porsche to me (unless its a 924!)

Only kidding!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/21/2020 at 4:32 PM, rhys57 said:

How much have you spent on maintenance on your boxster, in my ownership I have spent 8k on the following

Boxster spend

6/7/17 - mats,badge, wheels nuts 
15/7/17- steering wheel refurb 
20/7/17 - cd control knobs 
7/9/17 - decals 
8/9/17- coils packs x6 
20/9/17 - spark plugs 
26/9/17- alloys refurb/calipers 
3/11/17- service 
17/11/17- mot/coffin arms 
23/01/18- exhaust tips 
25/5/18- front bumper respray 
2/9/18 - pcw exhaust/exhaust clamps
14/9/18 - bumpers & vents painted 
06/10/18- new bosch s4 battery 
13/11/18- service/mot/gearbox oil 
28/02/18- new blitsen b4 dampers 
14/2/19- center gravity geo, pro springs 
14/5/19-new gear gaitor/gearknob, handbrake leathers 
14/11/19- Mot and service 
5/1/20 - Spacers 15mm +8mm  
20/1/2 - New air oil separator
New clutch and dual mass flywheel
New brake pipes plus Hel braided hoses
New brake pads
Wheel spacers fitted
New Coolant crossover pipes
Cam tensioner seal replacement
New ims and rms seals 

In the life of the car the total maintenance spend is 17k its amazing really mine is a 2.7 2006. I love mine its immaculate but costly to keep it thy way 😊

Hi, am curious what your thoughts are on your PCW exhaust, they’re just down the road from me and  am thinking of getting one.

29 minutes ago, rhys57 said:

Whats your model, go for it you won't be disappointed, mention me to Paul 

I've just bought a 2006 987.1 2.7.  It seems in pretty good nick but there's am building a list of things i have / plan to fix and update on it.  It's a toy rather than daily driver so am keeping track of spend to get an understanding of how much it's costing to run vs how much use it gets (and then ignore it and keep it anyway 🙂 )

I've just stumbled across PCW's facebook page, it looks like he does a lot of high end cars, but to the point where he's booked up till end of the year!

Edited by Hainesy

They can drain the old bank account that's true. I bought a 993 back in 2008 from Stirlings, Mark always puts his cars through his local Porsche dealer for a full check and rectification prior to sale and the 993 bill was just shy of £9k (copy supplied to me)...he is an expert buyer but even he was caught out by the size of that and puff went any profit margin. Wind the clock forward to my 987 Gen2, the guy I bought it from spent the thick end of £5k over 18 months having various jobs done, lots on suspension and the memory seat module failed in May this year under my watch, that cost just shy of a grand to fix BUT its the only repairs Ive paid for of this type after 16 Porsches so I must have been blessed along the way.

I bought my '05 S from another forum member 5 years ago for what I felt was a very sensible price given the mileage and spec. Since then the main costs have been maintenance rather than repair, admittedly though, the car does few miles ( just coming up to 80k, bought at 73k ). 

Having initially shat myself every time I drove it after convincing myself that the IMS was planning to self destruct every time I fired the thing up ( negative effect of too much internet browsing! ), I've completely relaxed about that to the point where I never think about it now.

The only thing that I've had to replace at the beginning of this year that I didn't see coming has been the backbox, and I was fortunate enough to have already obtained one  a few years ago from a seller on here who gave it away for free as long as I was happy to collect. Given that I was sure the blow was from the manifold, with all the nonsense to fix that that entails, I felt I'd dodged a bullet there. Prior to that, it's been serviced 3 times, and needed nothing else.

I made the conscious decision this year to either drive it or sell it. Drive it won, and in light of that it's recently had a wheel refurb, 4 new Goodyears, Brembo pads and discs all round, a major service, front coolant pipes and a Pioneer carplay head unit. I did the brakes, so saved the labour, but the total was still in excess of £2800. I still need to do the brake fluid, but as it's already been done once in my ownership, I'll not panic about that.

It rewarded my loyalty by providing me with one of the best drives I've had in it last weekend, on the return leg of a journey back down from Edinburgh to Newcastle across country,  and I don't begrudge a penny of the outlay. I think to get the best from them, there has to be a degree of realistic expectation and anticipation as to what will likely require attention and when.

So far I haven't had any of the expected suspension, roof, water pump or clutch bills to pay, so maybe, if I'm unlucky, I'll suddenly have several things to deal with at once, but a little product knowledge and research, combined with an eyes open to possible expenditure approach will hopefully forestall any real financial horror shows.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 6:46 PM, Hainesy said:

Hi, am curious what your thoughts are on your PCW exhaust, they’re just down the road from me and  am thinking of getting one.

I am also local and was going to use PCW but waiting list put me off. Went with a Top Gear valved system which sounds amazing, recommended.

He's just down the road from me so it seemed like a bit of a no-brainer, am booked in for Jan which was earliest slot though!  The only thing I'm slightly wary of is that the car has done 100k so not sure whether it's dumb doing it on something that (presumably) doesn't have loads of life left.  Having said that I replaced the tip clamps the other day as the original clamps had started to disintegrate and (to my inexpert eye at least) the exhaust looked in pretty reasonable shape.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2005 2.7 Boxster back in May 2021, with 53k on the clock-has been CAT;C and no history. Paid £9.5k

I sought a servicing/dealer book-pack set off ebay for £75 

£20 for a replacement service/maintenance book from Porsche.

I've retraced 6 previous Porsche servicings and now have a good (not perfect) service history.

I had the car major serviced at a cost of £360 from a local indie.

The car needs front shocks and a couple of other things. With parts and fitting, it will come to about £1100 when all done.

£27 for a plastic ball joint for the roof control arm. I replaced this myself

£30 for new climate control switches. I replaced these myself.

Add to that personal choices such as a re-map, side decals, roof protection, seat conditioning kit, stereo upgrade, zunsport grills, paint repair for bumper scuff, in total about £500.

So, in approximately 6 months ive probably put about 2 grand into the car. But a lot of that was piece of mind for my new ownership. I dont envisage any more spend for the foreseeable future. 

The car is weekends only. It does need the AC doing but im in no rush. I'll just put the roof down.

IN YOUR FACE CAYMAN OWNERS!!!! 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1