Boxster spend

rhys57

How much have you spent on maintenance on your boxster, in my ownership I have spent 8k on the following

Boxster spend

6/7/17 - mats,badge, wheels nuts 
15/7/17- steering wheel refurb 
20/7/17 - cd control knobs 
7/9/17 - decals 
8/9/17- coils packs x6 
20/9/17 - spark plugs 
26/9/17- alloys refurb/calipers 
3/11/17- service 
17/11/17- mot/coffin arms 
23/01/18- exhaust tips 
25/5/18- front bumper respray 
2/9/18 - pcw exhaust/exhaust clamps
14/9/18 - bumpers & vents painted 
06/10/18- new bosch s4 battery 
13/11/18- service/mot/gearbox oil 
28/02/18- new blitsen b4 dampers 
14/2/19- center gravity geo, pro springs 
14/5/19-new gear gaitor/gearknob, handbrake leathers 
14/11/19- Mot and service 
5/1/20 - Spacers 15mm +8mm  
20/1/2 - New air oil separator
New clutch and dual mass flywheel
New brake pipes plus Hel braided hoses
New brake pads
Wheel spacers fitted
New Coolant crossover pipes
Cam tensioner seal replacement
New ims and rms seals 

In the life of the car the total maintenance spend is 17k its amazing really mine is a 2.7 2006. I love mine its immaculate but costly to keep it thy way 😊

Edited by rhys57

I've spent just over £4k in the first 2 months of ownership - Now that's all done I'm looking forward to a nice long period of cheap, reliable motoring, with only petrol costs and maybe an occasional top up of oil to worry about :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Wow! I thought my 3k over 2 years was a lot on my 986 (mainly track upgrades), 4k in the first two months sounds hard to swallow. Do you mind me asking what you had done? 

Not at all mate, it's all detailed on this thread in the Member's Rides section:

Basically, I bought the car with no service history, so I wanted to make sure it was sound and - most important - safe.  It came with a new MOT, but that proved to be "questionable" based on what I discovered after I'd bought it, but I've done my best to bring the car up to a decent standard.  I started with a new set of N-rated tyres to replace the mis-matched budget brands that had somehow managed to scrape through the MOT with no advisories... :whistle1:  Then it went for a full geometry set up, which uncovered a few issues, which meant replacing some suspension parts and a new pair of springs.  Next I fitted a new battery, just as a precaution.  Then it went in for a full major service with all fluids at a Porsche Independent workshop (TWG Motorsport in Peterborough).  This uncovered more issues with the coolant system, so it went back to them for a complete replacement of all hoses and pipework, plus an exhaust hanger on the gearbox was broken and needed replacing.  Oh, and I bought a set of wheel centres and over mats :lol:  

I know £4k is a lot to spend in a short period, but I'm hoping that will be all it needs for a while, and I can enjoy the car without the bleedin' thing bankrupting me, ha ha!

First 2 years is always the chunkiest but then it tends to settle down. 

Still would have £2k stuffed down the back of the sofa (per year) to cover future eventualities due to the age. 

I've always seen it as the price of enjoyment and happily written it off as such. 

With these been older cars I agree around £1500 per year to maintain if you want to keep them right, the standard bilstein b4 dampers are only designed for 100k and most won't reach that. I had a day with centre gravity who replaced my dampers, springs and any worn parts because I wanted a fresh setup, it drives like a new car now. 

Makes me laugh when I see cheap boxsters online ie a 987 for 7k online, you could spent 5k in the first year getting them sorted easily. 

Edited by rhys57

Everyone’s mileage varies.  

18 months /13m with my 2.9.  600 for catch up service items (plugs, pdk fluid, belt, air filter ) and 350 for rear tyres. Plus a new belt tensioner at about 150  

Tyres were pre emptive since I wanted reasonable tread for winter and they were getting low.  As it happens I ended up trading the car within about 1500 miles of fitting them.  

technically all the spend was pre emptive since nothing was noticeably broken and I chose to have the service items I was not sure about done.  The tensioner was the only repair and I only did that because I was swapping the belt but I could have run the car for 18 months with effective 0 spend assuming the belt stayed healthy. 

hope this one works out similar.  

@Davey P when you put it like that it doesn't sound too unreasonable and it sounds like you have a nicely sorted car now. The crossover pipes will eventually need doing on my Cayman but I'm planning to rent a lift and do it myself alongside a few suspension upgrades (makes sense to do them all together given that it'll need an alignment) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rhys57 said:

How much have you spent on maintenance on your boxster, in my ownership I have spent 8k on the following

Boxster spend

7/9/17 - decals 
8/9/17- coils packs x6 
20/9/17 - spark plugs 
3/11/17- service 
23/01/18- exhaust tips 
New brake pads
Wheel spacers fitted
New ims and rms seals 

In the life of the car the total maintenance spend is 17k its amazing really mine is a 2.7 2006. I love mine its immaculate but costly to keep it thy way 😊

it may just be me, but as a prospective 987 buyer (previous had a 996 & 3.2 carrera),  £17k in 14 years doesn't fill me with confidence 

7 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

it may just be me, but as a prospective 987 buyer (previous had a 996 & 3.2 carrera),  £17k in 14 years doesn't fill me with confidence 

Well mate I'm afraid that's how much these cars cost to maintain over the years, mines been serviced every after year for the first 3 years of its life so that will add a few pounds to it compared to one that been serviced every 2 years. 

You should see the bull on a old 911, my mates 2003 911 996 had service history and maintenance well over 22k 

Don't get me wrong alot of the items I have spent money on didn't need doing really ie breakdowns etc but I like to replace before they do. I also want the best car I can have so everything has to be perfect 

Edited by rhys57

This thread is underlining a key component when it comes to used performance car ownership. 

The purchase price alone is no indication regarding the ongoing affordability - as a matter of fact, it can sometimes have the opposite effect as the market is kept fluid by owners biting off more than they can chew and eventually wanting out (you can pick up a 10yr old Maserati Grandturismo for £17k now and I'm sure it's for the reason that they're evil unrelenting money-pits, but by christ, they're beautiful cars) 

In my experience, you have to go back to the original purchase price and think 'what will it take to maintain a car that cost £40-60k, and can still offer its performance and luxury qualities over 10 years later'. 

3 hours ago, antjrice said:

This thread is underlining a key component when it comes to used performance car ownership. 

The purchase price alone is no indication regarding the ongoing affordability - as a matter of fact, it can sometimes have the opposite effect as the market is kept fluid by owners biting off more than they can chew and eventually wanting out (you can pick up a 10yr old Maserati Grandturismo for £17k now and I'm sure it's for the reason that they're evil unrelenting money-pits, but by christ, they're beautiful cars) 

In my experience, you have to go back to the original purchase price and think 'what will it take to maintain a car that cost £40-60k, and can still offer its performance and luxury qualities over 10 years later'. 

So true this, porsche are not cheap cars to run but I simply love mine and the community etc, I'd hate to not own one. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rhys57 said:

Boxster spend

7/9/17 - decals 

8/9/17- coils packs x6 
20/9/17 - spark plugs 
3/11/17- service 
23/01/18- exhaust tips 

New brake pads
Wheel spacers fitted
New ims and rms seals 

A lot of money, but of that lot how much was essential expenditure and how much was 'improvements' or 'renovation'? 

I wonder how much it would be if you had not done the things highlighted on the list above, or chosen a cheaper brand of shock absorber than Bilstein perhaps? 

There is nothing wrong with a desire to improve your P&J but I'm not sure you can claim that it is all essential expenditure. 

17 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

In 18 months ownership I have spent the grand total of £5323.72p on a 20K mileage 2.9. £1900 on an OCD service and the rest on performance parts and upgrades.

cheers Chris, but even £1900 on a service for a car that's done 20k is excessive - i mean what can need done after 20k?