Boxster spend

rhys57

3 hours ago, zcacogp said:

@Glosrich - not quite. 

It's less than 30 funds (I think it's 27, but let's go with 30). The benefits of diversification are touted by risk-averse financial advisers who never explain the down sides of it. Imagine one of those 30 companies disappears entirely and the stock is entirely worthless; your fund will lose a mere 3% of the value. Imagine you have diversified into 300 companies and one of them doubles in value; your fund will gain a mere 0.3% of the value. A reduction to zero value of one company is very unlikely but a substantial increase in value is quite likely. If you have confidence in the stock you buy then why put money elsewhere? As the strapline goes, "Buy good companies .... do nothing". 

It's nowhere near all US-based either - it currently lists 65.5% US-based. Currency fluctuations are far more of a concern than the whole of the US economy evaporating overnight. (An aside, but if the whole of the US economy was to disappear overnight then we'll all have much bigger problems than the loss of value in our investments!) 

I have put a LOT of my eggs in Terry's basket over the last 8 years. I've gone in with my eyes open, taken care to understand the risks and don't regret it; I'm up well over 350% in that time. It's not all roses; FEET has not been a success but I haven't written that one off yet. Smithson is yet to prove itself. 

Now, back to the superiority of the Cayman over the Boxster. Smutty comments aside, I notice that no-one has yet to disagree! 

Thanks for the info.

Yes Cayman's are better than Boxsters. I've got a 2009 2.9 base in Aqua Blue. Much more rigid to drive, no leaks from the roof, and how much can you have the roof down in this country anyway!

Wait for the explosion, sorry just my opinion.

Just now, Glosrich said:

Thanks for the info.

Yes Cayman's are better than Boxsters. I've got a 2009 2.9 base in Aqua Blue. Much more rigid to drive, no leaks from the roof, and how much can you have the roof down in this country anyway!

so why are you on a Boxster forum then?? :)

18 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Moi? Because they are the same cars - at least 99% the same! 

8 minutes ago, RobScott said:

Caymans are for people that cant afford 911's ;)

All depends what you want from a car.  I like Boxsters, as they are easier to work on, hence why I chose a Boxster rather than a Cayman. 

Interesting, why do you say that Boxsters are easier to work on? I read threads on here about leaks and rooves not retracting properly and am slightly grateful for the fact that I have a Cayman and hence there is less to go wrong. 

An aside: I'd like to have a Boxster. Very much like to have one - a convertible is a delicious thing. I have a Cayman as there is more storage space inside and it lives on the street in London and if I had a Boxster then I'd worry about leaks and vandalism. 

:) 

I looked at Cayman's when i bought the Box, like you say they are pretty much the same car, other than the silly solid roof on the Cayman ;) - for me, having the convertible adds another dimension to the car, driving with the roof up is similar to the Cayman, roof down its another world  - i'm not going to be hanging it out around a track at 100% so the extra rigidity was of no benefit.

I also didn't need any additional luggage space as we have the family car, or the added security needed when parking it on a London street.

At the end of the day, its still a Porsche and that's all that matters

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jim o'hara said:

so probably neglected up to that mileage then

No, that's just when parts failed. The previous long term owner got it serviced to schedule and got any work advised done immediately. The reason they sold was that they couldn't justify continuing to spend that sort of money on it as a second car.

Not sure why you're finding this data so difficult to accept at face value?

I think my next one will be a cayman I hope I don't spend 8k on it in costs but hey ho I prob will. My car is also like my hobby if that sounds sad, I spent hrs in the better weather on the bodywork I do enjoy machine polishing and applying coatings 😁

Edited by rhys57

7 hours ago, Nobbie said:

No, that's just when parts failed. The previous long term owner got it serviced to schedule and got any work advised done immediately. The reason they sold was that they couldn't justify continuing to spend that sort of money on it as a second car.

Not sure why you're finding this data so difficult to accept at face value?

well as its been mentioned earlier, the reason i am questioning (not just you) is that from the thread, there are lost of people spending money that is sometimes just for the sake of it

2 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

well as its been mentioned earlier, the reason i am questioning (not just you) is that from the thread, there are lost of people spending money that is sometimes just for the sake of it

To keep these cars looking and running as hey should you need to spend the money 

18 minutes ago, rhys57 said:

To keep these cars looking and running as hey should you need to spend the money 

I think they can definitely be kept in top condition on more modest budgets but as somebody else said, if you can afford it and it makes you happy, why not. 

• Thanks 1

My best advice to anyone thinking about one of  these cars is simple. If you're a bit OCD then dont buy one because it will cost you a lot.

My 996 is 22 years old this year. You cant own a 22 year old Porsche if you like to have everything perfect. Its just doesn't make sense financially. On the other hand if you're willing to accept some little teething problems or quirks  and can do some easier bits yourself then its fine. But you need to be a car person first and foremost. 

One of my none car friends who isn't even OCD saw me climbing into my 996 via the passenger door because the driver side window regulator was on the blink. He thought I was crazy. To him that makes no sense. He buys newish cars and has never even changed a brake pad, garage for everything. He would just never buy a Porsche full stop. To him cars are just transport and it's all about cost benefit. He spends more on uber than I do on Porsche - well maybe not quite but its a good story.

I've finally got through to him though. His next brake pad change will be done by us together so no garage. He has given me 3 months notice. He seems to think they'll need doing around April time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Glosrich said:

Thanks for the info.

Subjective opinion. 

I would argue the Boxster is the better car. 

95% a Cayman with roof up, and way way better with the roof down. I don't need a track focused super stiff chassis and have 2 very usable cars in 1 tidy package. 

The roof comes down most of the year, when the weather is dry, even at temps in single figures. The car is instantly transformed from something good, to something great. 

Having ridden shotgun in a 987 Cayman, I found the tin roof made the engine sound very boomy within the cabin. The soft top reduces that effectively when up. 

Admittedly mine is safely parked on a secure well lit driveway, but plenty of soft tops are parked on city roads, so I don't see a security risk unless one lives in a high crime area. Surely any Porsche would draw unwelcome attention in those circumstances? 

So what makes your base 2.9 better, than my 3.4 S? 

Edited by Pinewood

27 minutes ago, mat1 said:

I do seem to remember talk about Caymans having a much noisier/boomier interior. Apart from not being able to put the top down that would be a show stopper for me.

Yeah that is true. It's not too intrusive but on some roads it can sound like the helmholtz resonance you get when you have only one window slightly ajar.

Teasing aside, they are both great cars and the difference between them in terms of handling is minimal. Given the fact that used Boxsters are cheaper than Caymans to start with, unless you really want a tintop or are planning to do a lot of track driving, I think the Boxster is probably the better overall proposition. I had already owned a Boxster (which I thought was fantastic) and do a few track days a year, so for that reason, I wanted to go with a Cayman.

17 hours ago, jim o'hara said:

Certainly not disagreeing with you there, but each to their own. You can run these cars for very little if you want to and are reasonably lucky. My car mostly had just tyres and servicing between 70-100k which was three years motoring.

I suspect the reason for the large maintenance requirements of mine between 100-130k were that it was a daily driver and so out in all weathers. A weekend car on 60-70k should be relatively trouble free unless it's been neglected.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 2:44 PM, rhys57 said:

I think my next one will be a cayman I hope I don't spend 8k on it in costs but hey ho I prob will. My car is also like my hobby if that sounds sad, I spent hrs in the better weather on the bodywork I do enjoy machine polishing and applying coatings 😁

you can get even greater enjoyment by doing mine as well then - will provide tea and bacon sarnies!

£3,250 in the past 18m (10,000 miles) since I bought it. £1,600 of that was IMS/RMS/Clutch at Revolution and £500 for Carnewal.  

Pretty happy with that TBH. I’ve done bits and bobs myself which has no doubt saved some money

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 1:05 PM, Mattman42 said:

Don't take offence guys, it was meant as a light hearted comment, and only my opinion. We're all entitled to our own opinions aren't we?

Ironically if I ever buy a newer Porsche, it will probably be a Boxster, as I'd like to own one for a while.

I'm on here as its a good forum, and like yourselves I enjoy fixing and maintaining my own car to save a bit of money now and again.

2 minutes ago, Glosrich said:

Don't take offence guys, it was meant as a light hearted comment, and only my opinion. We're all entitled to our own opinions aren't we?

Ironically if I ever buy a newer Porsche, it will probably be a Boxster, as I'd like to own one for a while.

I'm on here as its a good forum, and like yourselves I enjoy fixing and maintaining my own car to save a bit of money now and again.

Hear hear! Fellow Cayman owner here who is up for useful advice on owning the car and some good banter on why one may be better than the other!