Happy new car day to me!

Ninesomething

Menoporsche is right about the wheels. Mine came with 18inch wheels and I put 17 inch ones (standard for the 2.7) on. It's completely transformed the car; it's more comfortable on the road, the steering is much more informative with loads of feedback, it's more playful as you can feel the car start to move around on the road, it doesn't catch on every speedbump in town, it's a smidge quieter. Another bonus is that tyres are a load cheaper. I can only imagine how unpleasant these cars are on 19's (and I think some people go larger still). 

If you possibly can then borrow some 17inch wheels and try them out. Five minutes driving 'round the block would do it. I suspect that you'll be very happy to forego those "Cool Looks" that Menoporsche mentioned. 

Menoporsche - what's a Running Report? 

40 minutes ago, JonSta said:

05 2.7, 80k, blue, fsh, heated seats, lobster claws. Looks and drives like a new car, dribble.... How is it possible to get that much car for so little money? Feel a bit guilty.

Has to be said it's possibly not the world's greatest m-way cruiser but like you that's not why I bought it. Interestingly I drove a 3.2 the other day which seemed a bit gutless at low revs whereas this one just wants to play right from low down. Gearing I suppose. Also I suspect the 3.2 had issues which is why I didn't buy it. 

Other thoughts - surprisingly economical trundling along the motorway. That's good. The ride seems a little sharp - I expected a little more suffistikayshun. Note to self check tyre pressures.

Do some pics later. I'm just going to stand and look at it for a while now.

How much did you pay mate 

19's are the way forward - they look so much better and you have more rubber on the road - 17's look like you've stolen the castors off your sofa and stuck them on 😜

Tyre pressures and age - they may look good, but if they are old and hard, that can also effect your ride.

I remember the early 90's when i first started driving, 17 inch alloys were the ultimate goal :)

21 hours ago, JonSta said:

Sitting on the train on my way to pick up my new 987. Not really a roof down day for the trip back. Or maybe I'm just being a wuss.

Congratulations JonSta - I got my 987 in similar (read: torrential rain) a couple of weeks ago and am absolutely loving it!  Roof has only been down a couple of times due to inclement weather but just being cold won't stop me 😉

Looking forward to the pics!

43 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Yeah it's rolling on 18s with michelins. Checked the pressures and they're 28 on the fronts and 30 on the back. I notice on the revolution website it tells me to put 36 in the back.  Ouch....

Yeah but what does the owners manual tell you for the tyre size :rolleyes:

I run mine as per the book and never had an issue! I only adjust for track abuse.

These Woosies with their small wheels or poor tyre pressures need to go see a chiropractor 😂

Im sure the 1000’s of miles carried out by tyre testers for Porsche may know a thing or two, either that or they are all lying to us 😜

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

19's are the way forward - they look so much better and you have more rubber on the road - 17's look like you've stolen the castors off your sofa and stuck them on 😜

I remember the early 90's when i first started driving, 17 inch alloys were the ultimate goal :)

19's may look good, but when you are driving then you can't see the wheels that are attached to the car. And I own my car to drive it, not to look at it .... 

Interesting point about tyre pressures. Tyre manufacturers know more about tyres than people who make cars and I was told that if you take the maximum inflation pressure as listed on the sidewall of the tyre, deduct 10% and inflate your tyres to that then you will probably get a better starting point to experiment with than the pressure listed in the handbook. You will probably end up with a higher pressure than the manufacturer recommends but I've yet to find a situation where this doesn't apply. 

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

Im sure the 1000’s of miles carried out by tyre testers for Porsche may know a thing or two, either that or they are all lying to us 😜

As long as they're not chosen by the IMS testers... ;)

Archived