Headlight options

lofi

1 hour ago, Madlil said:

Trying to get my head around xenons as an optional extra on a second hand 2.7 981. If I see a 2.7 with headlight washers does this mean that it will also have PDLS? I know that on the 3.4s the lower powered xenons are standard without washers but confused about what to look for in my search for a second hand 981 2.7. I really want the higher powered xenons.....

thanks In advance

Andrew

Yes, at a glance check for washers on the 2.7 for pdls.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't let xenon strength be the deciding factor when looking for your purchase 🙄 as you must have already followed on this thread "it's Simples" to upgrade 😃.

43 minutes ago, mneil said:

Shouldn't let xenon strength be the deciding factor when looking for your purchase 🙄 as you must have already followed on this thread "it's Simples" to upgrade 😃.

It’s not quite as simple as that. On the 981S, yes you get low powered Xenons as standard and you can upgrade them to the 35w bulbs and ballasts but the 981 2.7 comes with halogens as standard which are shyatee. Your only options on the 2.7 is to install LED or upgrade the halogens to an aftermarket Xenon kit but they can play havoc with the cars Canbus system. If you do a lot of night driving then I would consider the PDLS on the 2.7 essential. 

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

It’s not quite as simple as that. On the 981S, yes you get low powered Xenons as standard and you can upgrade them to the 35w bulbs and ballasts but the 981 2.7 comes with halogens as standard which are shyatee. Your only options on the 2.7 is to install LED or upgrade the halogens to an aftermarket Xenon kit but they can play havoc with the cars Canbus system. If you do a lot of night driving then I would consider the PDLS on the 2.7 essential. 

I stand corrected, sorry. Is it possible to swap  using s/hand "S" light units or would that also create other problems, besides the expense?

PDLS headlights need to be coded to the car.  It took OPC Reading two days to correctly code a replacement to mine.

Anything is possible, however its only a power pack and relay for the standard HID units.

• 3 months later...

Just came across this thread, it reminded me of something I have wondered about - could I upgrade my PDLS headlights to PDLS+?  If it can be done the cost may be enough to put me off, but I had the + on my previous BGTS and 991.2 which worked well for me.  It’s one of only a couple of options not specced on my car so I might consider it if I had a damaged headlight for instance - or if I could cover some of the cost by selling mine on.

There is a camera behind the mirror already as it has the speed limit display, so not sure if that’s the same camera as the PDLS+ uses, if so I’m guessing the PDLS+ headlights could be coded in by an OPC?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this please?  I could (and might) ask an OPC, it’s nice to have some information before asking.  Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

I have pdls , what’s the plus option bring, I thought the speed limit on the dash was from sat nav info ??? 

PDLS+ has the dynamic high beam, it’s a seamless headlights adjustment between dipped and main beam, so if a car is well ahead it dips just enough to avoid any dazzling keeping as much of the road lit as possible.

The speed limit display reads the road signs, completely different to the satnav info - so always displays the current speed limit even if it’s a temporary one.  Works really well too, I’ve never caught it showing the wrong speed.

Archived