Headlight options

lofi

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Patt said:

Also you can tell the different headlights externally by the amount of silver plastic.

The basic lights have a lot of silver painted (chrome effect) bezels etc., the PDSL has a lot less and the PDSL+ are almost completely black save a small ring of silver around the upper (dipped) beam lens.

Thanks

Plus it all looks OEM thus wouldn't bring on the wrath of a tester trying to fail...don't believe all the internet hype regarding retro fitting HID's, especially to projector lens applications.

11 minutes ago, 981Ad said:

If you daily the car through winter then I would say PDLS is a must. The standard lights are awful!

having just got a S with PDLS which I find acceptable. I can't phathom using anything less

29 minutes ago, mneil said:

After driving back from Yorkshire yesterday evening in my 981s I decided to follow @T24RES and upgrade my lights. All bulbs and ballast boxes easily purchased from Amazon 🤪 and arriving tomorrow 🤗.

When you have the light out and replacing ballast. You will find the electrical plug doesn't quite fit, a hobby knife to trim the rib off the plug fixes the very minor issue 👍

On 2/5/2020 at 2:42 PM, T24RES said:

When you have the light out and replacing ballast. You will find the electrical plug doesn't quite fit, a hobby knife to trim the rib off the plug fixes the very minor issue 👍

All fitted and working fine, even in daylight I can see a big difference in the brightness. Compared to the 25watt Xenon bulb, the 35watt had one cutaway missing on its alignment ring for the locating prongs. However, the prong was easily bent out of the way 🔨.

Free pair of 25watt Xenon bulbs and ballast boxes available😀

On 2/7/2020 at 2:14 PM, T24RES said:

I agree, great upgrade......... Simples too👍

Took the car out on some dark country lanes last night, WOW what a difference. Since having the 981 I'd forgotten what real headlights look like! Well pleased 👍

On 2/5/2020 at 2:11 PM, mneil said:

After driving back from Yorkshire yesterday evening in my 981s I decided to follow @T24RES and upgrade my lights. All bulbs and ballast boxes easily purchased from Amazon 🤪 and arriving tomorrow 🤗.

Could you please let us have the links to the parts you purchased?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a thought, how about using pukka D3S High Voltage cables, Not sure if there if there will be be any issues to do with fit, but they are cheap enough to take a punt on (A couple of £ on EBay/Alibaba), leaving all the OE parts untouched.

Stu.

4 minutes ago, Stu67 said:

Hi,

Just a thought, how about using pukka D3S High Voltage cables, Not sure if there if there will be be any issues to do with fit, but they are cheap enough to take a punt on (A couple of £ on EBay/Alibaba), leaving all the OE parts untouched.

Stu.

A good alternative but as the connecting pins are off set it will only go in one way, and, reverting back to a lower wattage bulbs does not make sense to me.

12 minutes ago, mneil said:

A good alternative but as the connecting pins are off set it will only go in one way, and, reverting back to a lower wattage bulbs does not make sense to me.

I was thinking along the lines of cutting a locating notch as per the 25W DLS in the mounting ring of the D3S with a Dremmel and leaving the light unit untouched. I've got an old D3s to "practice" on and see if it's practible.

Stu.

3 minutes ago, Stu67 said:

I was thinking along the lines of cutting a locating notch as per the 25W DLS in the mounting ring of the D3S with a Dremmel and leaving the light unit untouched. I've got an old D3s to "practice" on and see if it's practible.

Stu.

An idea 💡 but is it practical with the cost and delicate nature of a D3S bulb 🤔 compared to the more robust structure of the green socket. Each to his own, that's what makes it interesting, always open to alternatives😃

Fitted new xenons ,  followed the advice of t24res (thankyou once again for being on hand for advice your a life saver)

And new ballasts

Just fitted new xenons couldn't find a way to replace the h7 bulbs for now.

IMG-20200221-204222-149.jpg 20200221-190138.jpg 20200221-185949.jpg 20200221-182940.jpg 20200221-182842.jpg 

• 4 months later...

Trying to get my head around xenons as an optional extra on a second hand 2.7 981. If I see a 2.7 with headlight washers does this mean that it will also have PDLS? I know that on the 3.4s the lower powered xenons are standard without washers but confused about what to look for in my search for a second hand 981 2.7. I really want the higher powered xenons.....

thanks In advance

Andrew

Archived