Headlight options

lofi

Whilst I wait for my car to sell I have of course been looking at potential 981 purchases online.  I've also go an electronic version of the brochure from the time, but the options with the headlights are not making sense to me.

As far as I can tell  the 2.7 comes with halogen lights, the S has what are described as bi-xenon headlights and optionally there was PDLS which has a washer system and swivels the lights.  But then the brochure says "The optional Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS), which comprises Bi-Xenon headlights with halogen main-beam headlights," which suggests that bi-xenon means just the dipped beam are xenon just like the S.  Also I see lots of S models without the headlamp washers, which I thought were mandatory for xenon headlights.

So I am now totally confused as to what cars come with which lights and what the options actually include.  Clarity would be appreciated.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My previous 987.2 had standard halogens which were absolutely terrible. The 981 2.7 will have standard halogens fitted(unless it has the optional PDLS fitted) the 981S will have low powered Xenon headlights. If you do a lot of night driving get either a 981S or a 981 with PDLS. I have a 981 Black edition that has PDLS with dynamic high beam which are brilliant. 

Only Porsche could come up with a low-powered xenon!

I also assume that bi-xenon in Porsche speak just means both dipped beams (like you'd just have one) and all options have halogen main beam?  

It’s all about getting the customer to upgrade at purchase time I guess. I believe all the high beams on all options are halogen, I think xenon have a small time delay before illumination so wouldn’t be suitable. I honestly wouldn’t advise you to get a car with the standard halogen low beam, they are absolutely shocking. Imo borderline dangerous. 

981 xenons without headlight washers have a 25w xenon bulb, those with headlight washers have a 35w xenon bulb. If the bulb lumens are lower than 2000 (25w) then headlight washers are not required.

2 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

A 2.7 will either have PDLS(with washer nipples) or halogens(no nipples) The low powered xenons were standard fitment only on the 981S and not an option for the 981. 

Thanks that’s really helpful

anyone swapped out the 25w bulb to 35w,   i guess osram would be the choice to go for.   and Im assuming that MOT wouldnt really spot the no washers.

41 minutes ago, robporsche said:

anyone swapped out the 25w bulb to 35w,   i guess osram would be the choice to go for.   and Im assuming that MOT wouldnt really spot the no washers.

I did, you need the ballast' as well. In the running report ⤵️ huge improvement 👍

1 hour ago, T24RES said:

I did, you need the ballast' as well. In the running report ⤵️ huge improvement 👍

Oh really, interesting I'll have a look what sort cost was it 

I've gone LED (don't tell OPC Cardiff) they work wonderful main and dip and for £16.69 a set they are much better than the ome one's. I know I said I wasn't/couldn't do much in the way of mods as it is under a Porsche warranty,  but the one's I got are plug and play easy to swap back to ome if needed.

Guvs.

6 hours ago, Guvs said:

I've gone LED (don't tell OPC Cardiff) they work wonderful main and dip and for £16.69 a set they are much better than the ome one's. I know I said I wasn't/couldn't do much in the way of mods as it is under a Porsche warranty,  but the one's I got are plug and play easy to swap back to ome if needed.

Guvs.

which ones did you go for?   funny enough i was looking at led bulbs for my daughters mini and the standard halogen are awful.

2 hours ago, robporsche said:

which ones did you go for?   funny enough i was looking at led bulbs for my daughters mini and the standard halogen are awful.

I got these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-Car-72W-9000LM-H7-LED-Conversion-Headlight-KIT-6500K-Bulbs-Xenon-White/152930141678?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIGHTEYE-8000LM-9005-HB3-LED-Headlight-Kit-Light-Bulbs-6500K-White-Plug-Play-UK/272659927939?epid=26009406142&hash=item3f7bcc5383:g:cMQAAOSwmU9d6jVj

not sure what ones were the dipped and main on the Boxster as I bought another set for the MG as well, I know the HB3's were more expensive than the H7's

Guvs.

Also you can tell the different headlights externally by the amount of silver plastic.

The basic lights have a lot of silver painted (chrome effect) bezels etc., the PDSL has a lot less and the PDSL+ are almost completely black save a small ring of silver around the upper (dipped) beam lens.

Archived