Synthetic in the gearbox?

Ninesomething

If it goes into gear once warm, I wouldn't worry. You'll know if the synchro is gone as it'll grind hot or cold. Change the oil if you're bothered or just double declutch the first few changes. 

Mine was a bit reluctant when cold after changing the gearbox oil but after a couple of hundred miles (once the oil had sheered a bit) it is much better

IIRC the change interval is 96,000 miles, which is way too long in my book.  Maybe try something like Swepco 202 75w90 synthetic.  I know lots of owners of older Porsches with 901 and 915 gearboxes who swear by Swepco 201 (80w90) for improving gear selection.

I'm currently going through the mill with the gearbox in my 981. It might sound silly but some 75w90 gearbox oil is thick and some is thin. You would assume that thinner oil will shift better but I've read some contradictory info which claims that the synchros prefer thicker oil. So I'm curious to know you get on. Shifting to 2nd in my 996 feels awful when it's cold so I try to avoid using 2nd altogether. I'm thinking about an oil change too just because I'm hoping it's good practice and I'd like a smoother shift when cold if poss.

OK I've used millers oils before with good results so I'll give it a try. Since I posted this I did some searching and realised how fragile the shifter cables can be. One bit of pre purchase homework I must have missed. I'll do the oil and see what happens. It's also true that I've only driven the car in v  cold weather. Maybe it will feel better when things warm up a bit. If they warm up a bit.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:12 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

IIRC the change interval is 96,000 miles, which is way too long in my book.  Maybe try something like Swepco 202 75w90 synthetic.  I know lots of owners of older Porsches with 901 and 915 gearboxes who swear by Swepco 201 (80w90) for improving gear selection.

OK the car doesn't have that many miles on it so it's likely never been done.

Archived