Indicator stalk.

charlieboy2608

I’ve got a broken one in my garage which I’ve picked up and looked at many times. The self cancel mechanism is plastic part but to get at it you’ll need to open the rivets that hold the unit together. I’ve concluded that the time it would take, even if I could repair the mechanism, out weigh the cost of buying a secondhand or new one.

As far as I know you cant fix them,  recently swapped mine out and got lee to upgrade mine from 3 stalk to 4 stalk adding an OBC, was around £500 all in, so its not cheap.

14 minutes ago, the baron said:

As far as I know you cant fix them,  recently swapped mine out and got lee to upgrade mine from 3 stalk to 4 stalk adding an OBC, was around £500 all in, so its not cheap.

There is some fiddly wiring in to add the OBC which will have added labour time to the job.

@charlieboy2608 do you have 2, 3 or 4 stalks currently?  The mores stalks the higher the price for the whole replacement assembly. I got my 4 stalk set (to add cruise, not an indicator issue) for £230 from a breaker and you can get a 2 stalk set for under £200 for salvage but you don't know the history. To roll or not to roll the dice...

If you have 3 stalk with OBC, you can buy a 2 stalk which are supposedly cheaper.  Then transfer you OBC stalk from your old one to the new one.

Don't think its an MOT failure, but it can be more annoying in a manual car then tip.

Try OPC for a price, the usual places like CP4Less and ECP don't list them anymore which use to be the cheaper then OPC at the time I replaced mine.  They do list them on eBay for £400 odd for a 2 stalk.

I usually repair stuff like this on my cars but looking at my failed one I couldn't see a way of doing it without major faff. As others have said, the unit isn't that easy to split apart and even then, the weak bit that breaks isn't obviously replaceable without an exact copy of that part (for which you'd need a new complete unit...). I went for a supplier from Ebay - was about £190 from memory (2 stalk). I'll dig out the suppliers name once back at home.

Mine don't self cancel as I couldn't be arsed to put the clockspring back in when swapping the steering wheel over for the mot. 

That was over 6 months ago and have got used to it now....... 

11 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Thanks for all your responses guys.I have the 3 stalk without cruise.Im assured it isn't an mot failure just an annoyance on a day to day basis....unless anybody can tell me differently regarding MOT time?

Mine was broken for 2 MOT tests and it never failed

Archived