Upgrade with PSE?

paulcas

Hi all,
I'm in the process of buying a 987.2 S with PDK. It has the Chrono Sports Plus package so has the Sport and Sport Plus buttons on the console. 

I've been thinking about adding the aftermarket PSE using a Porsche dealership. My question is, as the car has Sports Plus mode, will adding PSE increase the exhaust noise even louder? 

Is it worth getting it done if Sports Plus present?

Regards, Paul

I love PSE, it's a major grin inducing option that always gets enabled when I am in the car (unless I'm driving through a town).  Look out for tunnels or anywhere you get some reverberation back at you - fantastic!

Sports Mode (not Sports+ which is a bit extreme for the roads but great on track) + Manual Mode on PDK + PSE = Fun Times

Sports mode for reference gives more 'sound' with PSE than Sports+ from memory.

The other option is a Carnewal exhaust - a number of members have gone this route - search on the forum and also google it...

3 minutes ago, paulcas said:

Hi rowbos,

that's just the information I needed. My minds definately made up now - many thanks for the endorsement ;)

Regards, Paul

No worries, you won't regret it... 

As suggested shop around particularly with things they way they are at the moment, when I had PSE fitted to my 981S the price differences were pretty large between OPC's and BTW the Carnewal option is worth serious consideration, my last 987S had one of those and it had a great sound with no booming plus a LOT cheaper than PSE..My newly acquired 987S has PSE but so far no chance to really try it out..

Keith

I’m not 100% certain this applies for the 987, but in the case of the 981 the PSE install is quite involved. It involves installing vacuum lines, switches, console update and ECU reprogramming, hence can only be done with PIWIS as far as I know.   

19 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I’m not 100% certain this applies for the 987, but in the case of the 981 the PSE install is quite involved. It involves installing vacuum lines, switches, console update and ECU reprogramming, hence can only be done with PIWIS as far as I know.   

I would imagine it's very similar for the 987.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:10 PM, paulcas said:

Hi all,
I'm in the process of buying a 987.2 S with PDK. It has the Chrono Sports Plus package so has the Sport and Sport Plus buttons on the console. 

I've been thinking about adding the aftermarket PSE using a Porsche dealership. My question is, as the car has Sports Plus mode, will adding PSE increase the exhaust noise even louder? 

Is it worth getting it done if Sports Plus present?

Regards, Paul

I may be wrong but if you have the Sport+ button then you also have PSE.

Look underneath for the exhaust valves.

41 minutes ago, Araf said:

I thought Sport+ came with the Sports Chrono package? 

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

I thought Sport+ came with the Sports Chrono package? 

As it's a .2 yes, I think you're right.  There only used to be sport on the 987.1 but it also had the PSE (as @Bike Loon is always keen to remind me 🙂 ).

22 hours ago, Araf said:

Sadly you are wrong, I've jus been out to check. For a moment I thought I'd got something I didn't know about. ☹️

1 hour ago, mavis.d said:

Sadly you are wrong, I've jus been out to check. For a moment I thought I'd got something I didn't know about. ☹️

I'm going to have to look at mine now.  They should be on the outside corners of the exhaust, in the bumper cover.

Just checked @mavis.d.  I don't have them either.  Odd because I'm sure I hear some sort of difference in exhaust noise sometimes. :unsure: 

3 minutes ago, mavis.d said:

Could it be the different throttle map or just wishful thinking?

I'm thinking wishful thinking... 🤔

If you have a PSE button you have it, if not then you don't surely? 

15 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I'm thinking wishful thinking... 🤔

If you have a PSE button you have it, if not then you don't surely? 

My old 987.1 didn't have the shotgun button but did have valves - activated by the Sport button.

3 minutes ago, rowbos said:

So 987.2 onwards has the PSE button then... 

As I understand it.

Sport Plus comes with the Sport Chrono pack and gives more aggressive throttle map and snappier gear change with launch control but no PSE

Just now, mavis.d said:

As I understand it.

Sport Plus comes with the Sport Chrono pack and gives more aggressive throttle map and snappier gear change with launch control but no PSE

Yep. 

9 minutes ago, rowbos said:

So 987.2 onwards has the PSE button then... 

987.1 had the PSE button too, if you didn't have Sport/Chrono, which is why I initially thought my 987.1 didn't have PSE and when corrected, thought my 987.2 did. :blink: 

Archived