Replace Front ARB bushing and Suspension Struts

Theo86

Hiya,

My car is a Boxster 986, MY 2000 and 2.7

Doing a few jobs around the car and was going to replace the front anti roll-bar bushings.

However the suspension struts are extremely rusty (99650443300) and am looking at just replacing.

Jasmine Porschalink

https://jasmine-porschalink.co.uk/parts-store/porsche-suspension/genuine-porsche-996-986-front-suspension-strut-bar-99650443300/

I found this site listed above for the struts at £20 each which is half the price of one of the main suppliers I usually use, so was wondering if anyone has used them and are they genuine? 

Many Thanks,

Theo

47 minutes ago, Theo86 said:

Hiya,

My car is a Boxster 986, MY 2000 and 2.7

Doing a few jobs around the car and was going to replace the front anti roll-bar bushings.

However the suspension struts are extremely rusty (99650443300) and am looking at just replacing.

Jasmine Porschalink

https://jasmine-porschalink.co.uk/parts-store/porsche-suspension/genuine-porsche-996-986-front-suspension-strut-bar-99650443300/

I found this site listed above for the struts at £20 each which is half the price of one of the main suppliers I usually use, so was wondering if anyone has used them and are they genuine? 

Many Thanks,

Theo

Jasmine are well known. That part appears to be something to do with the subframe. Are you sure that's what you want?

I have the car up on four axle stands...I then followed instructions from video listed below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVIZmUDgug

I have taken the bushings off, however I could see that the struts are both extremely rusty and looked up the part number from a Porsche diagram.

I wasn't going to replace these struts initially but they are pretty bad so would like to replace them too.

Jonogt6 as Red Rocket mentions it's connected to the subframe. 

Not used Jasmine so was wondering if this is a genuine part?

These are the two braces under the frunk.  Mine were pretty corroded but as they are exposed to all the road cr*p you can think of even a thorough working over with a wire brush and a repaint and they are showing rust through in about a year!  Spanking new ones from an OPC are about £35-40 so £20 for genuine sounds good to me and I thought I might even invest, but I guess they only have 1 as you can only select that quantity...

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I would take them off and see how they freshen up

I have had a look this morning and the rust is pretty deep, seems like a cheaply made part to me, but I'm no expert and it's 20 years old.

Going to order 2 new ones today.

Thank you all for your comments, going to purchase the last one from Jasmine now...

Mine were rusty as anything (2003 - lots of motorway miles to Eastern Europe and back). Cleaned off with wire brush and painted with open tin of red smooth hammerite I had lying around. Why red? its faster 😄

For the OP - suspect you will need some of the spring tin clips that hold the under-tray onto these brace bars. They usually fall apart on removal (assuming you still have an under-tray?)

I did try using tie-wraps to replace them on mine but the pain of trying to get them threaded through the gaps was too much and got some new clips in the end.

40 minutes ago, s3swiss said:

Mine were rusty as anything (2003 - lots of motorway miles to Eastern Europe and back). Cleaned off with wire brush and painted with open tin of red smooth hammerite I had lying around. Why red? its faster 😄

For the OP - suspect you will need some of the spring tin clips that hold the under-tray onto these brace bars. They usually fall apart on removal (assuming you still have an under-tray?)

I did try using tie-wraps to replace them on mine but the pain of trying to get them threaded through the gaps was too much and got some new clips in the end.

Yes your right of course...ordered 6 spring clips, seems to be a special technique for getting them off that I shamefully couldn't master.

Also ordered some black dressing Kennyfin73 mentioned in his post for the undertray and other black plastic on the car.

Lastly two new struts and bushings. Neighough has given me some black hammerite, really wanted Guards Red...never mind 😞

40 minutes ago, s3swiss said:

Yes your right of course...ordered 6 spring clips, seems to be a special technique for getting them off that I shamefully couldn't master.

Also ordered some black dressing Kennyfin73 mentioned in his post for the undertray and other black plastic on the car.

Lastly two new struts and bushings. Neighough has given me some black hammerite, really wanted Guards Red...never mind 😞

Archived