PSE Maintenance and Repair Tutorial

daz05

Thanks Daz brilliant video, looking forward to the next one as I've liked & subscribed to your channel.

Guvs. 

5 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

Just out of interest what changeover valve are you referring to? What is it about the exhaust system that fires up a coolant fault? I think @Corkscrewhad a similar warning a while ago that turned out to be caused by the exhaust but neither of us could understand how that happens? (apologies if it wasn't you @Corkscrew!)

Yes that was me @Buzzfox I did have a PSE changeover valve replaced because of an indicated 'coolant fault'  Never could see the connection 🤔

8 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

Just out of interest what changeover valve are you referring to? What is it about the exhaust system that fires up a coolant fault? I think @Corkscrewhad a similar warning a while ago that turned out to be caused by the exhaust but neither of us could understand how that happens? (apologies if it wasn't you @Corkscrew!)

It's the faulty vacuum valve that @daz05 replaced in the video.  I'm not sure how the cooling system fault is triggered but it seems to be something to do with the vacuum sensors rather than the exhaust itself, there have been several posts linking them.

9 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

Thanks for the advice but I've just thought I've got an extended warranty on the car until November so I think I'll wait for the service dept. to re-open and see if I can get it done under warranty. Knowing my luck I'd only end up knackering it beyond repair and then they'll say it's all my fault and charge me a cazillon quid to sort it!

If you've got a warranty that's the best plan - it seems OPC's replace the exhaust on the affected side/s rather than spend ages trying to free the valves.

3 hours ago, Corkscrew said:

Yes that was me @Buzzfox I did have a PSE changeover valve replaced because of an indicated 'coolant fault'  Never could see the connection 🤔

The PSE is connected to the same system as the heating system which is connected to the coolant so it flags an error and reports it as coolant being low. 

9 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

Thanks for the advice but I've just thought I've got an extended warranty on the car until November so I think I'll wait for the service dept. to re-open and see if I can get it done under warranty. Knowing my luck I'd only end up knackering it beyond repair and then they'll say it's all my fault and charge me a cazillon quid to sort it!

Yes use your warranty and you will get a nice new one!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my car - it was at the OPC yesterday for new exhausts and actuators on both sides, they must have ordered the complete exhaust as I’ve also got brand new stainless/chrome exhaust tips - delighted as mine were badly crazed, had tried all sorts to clean them.

PSE is still not working as they’ve now discovered it also needs a changeover valve, been ordered and booked in again week after next.  I thought the PSE would be permanently on but it’s not, the engine vacuum shuts the valves and the button won’t open them.  Interestingly the exhaust sounds a lot different in sport mode, must be due to the engine mapping.  The diagnostics showed no cooling system problem, they’ve cleared the error message and it didn’t appear on my drive home so hopefully that’s fixed.  It sounds a lot better too, it sounded rough starting from cold as I think one valve was seized on and the other off.  The PSE couldn’t have been working correctly for a while so I’m looking forward to it being as it should be.

Thank goodness it’s all covered under extended warranty - this little lot alone is worth far more than my 24 month premium!

@Gorsh nice one, hope you showed the OPC my video to assist with the diagnosis. The exhaust valve rest position is open but the changeover valve rest position must also be open to let that vacuum through. I guess it makes sense when you consider the other parts of the vacuum system they are controlling.

Re the coolant warning, that's pretty concrete then if you get a coolant warning without your coolant actually being low then that's the changeover valve playing up. This is exactly what happened to mine, earlier in the year.

Warranty is great but those exhausts can be repaired I'm sure for a fraction of the cost of replacement.

I received an X73 bar in the post this week so that's coming soon to the channel, be interesting to see how it effects the dynamics.

I can’t quite figure out why they need to replace the whole exhaust here.  It looks like the actuators are removable, there are three nuts on the bottom that look as though they secure it to the exhaust bracket. Surely a couple of actuators would be maybe £100 rather than a full exhaust cost.

They get the exhaust free from Porsche and charge them for the labour to fit it, in their best interests to find faults under guarantee as long as they can justify it and get approval.Old part goes back to Porsche for verification.it may have been just the sensor on gorshs car above but they’ve swapped out whole system, win for him.they changed one side of mine out as well for a sticky valve which could have been freed and greased lol, actually had a full system on order and no half’s On the system but one came up at the last minute...

10 hours ago, Greenman said:

I can’t quite figure out why they need to replace the whole exhaust here.  It looks like the actuators are removable, there are three nuts on the bottom that look as though they secure it to the exhaust bracket. Surely a couple of actuators would be maybe £100 rather than a full exhaust cost.

I think the actuators will be  available separately, but most problems are the butterfly valve seizing which can't be accessed (unless you were to cut the exhaust pipe either side and weld it back afterwards - has anyone done that?), so they just replace the whole lot to ensure no further problems, I guess the actuators might weaken over time which could contribute to the valves seizing.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:12 PM, daz05 said:

Hi mate and thanks, I have it because I retrofitted it but it's an option named I150, gives you some induction roar in your ear and really comes into its own at high rpm I really like it.  The 991s all have it fitted as standard as do the GTS cars.

Have you the part numbers for the 1150 option?

46 minutes ago, T24RES said:

Have you the part numbers for the 1150 option?

I had these noted down but worth double checking.  Not an easy install your intake manifold ideally needs to come off to gain access but that's just some bolts and a new seal.

981-110-214-01 airbox offside check it is I155 in PET
Line diaphram 981-110-028-00
Connection Pipe 991-110-282-03S

Change-over valve - 981-110-320-00

On 5/22/2020 at 9:38 PM, Gorsh said:

Update on my car - it was at the OPC yesterday for new exhausts and actuators on both sides, they must have ordered the complete exhaust as I’ve also got brand new stainless/chrome exhaust tips - delighted as mine were badly crazed, had tried all sorts to clean them.

PSE is still not working as they’ve now discovered it also needs a changeover valve, been ordered and booked in again week after next.  I thought the PSE would be permanently on but it’s not, the engine vacuum shuts the valves and the button won’t open them.  Interestingly the exhaust sounds a lot different in sport mode, must be due to the engine mapping.  The diagnostics showed no cooling system problem, they’ve cleared the error message and it didn’t appear on my drive home so hopefully that’s fixed.  It sounds a lot better too, it sounded rough starting from cold as I think one valve was seized on and the other off.  The PSE couldn’t have been working correctly for a while so I’m looking forward to it being as it should be.

Thank goodness it’s all covered under extended warranty - this little lot alone is worth far more than my 24 month premium!

I had both sides of mine replaced under warranty a couple of years ago too...only one side was not working according to the opc

I would say the replacement exhaust sounded different after they'd done it...more fruity for sure,  louder too...

I'd also agree that the pse sounds different if you have sport mode on or off..I tested

sport on / pse on

sport on / pse off

sport off / pse on

and of course both off

sport mode on and pse off or vice versa  (can't see the point but heh!) is different to both on or off, thats for sure

Archived