Talk me through the alarm, is all well? Houston we have a problem

the baron

As some might know I bought my 1997 new and sold it 8yrs later and bought it back 7 years ago.

Since owning it for the second time ive never heard the alarm, and I cant remember if this has always been the case, when I lock the car and leave the roof off and put a hand inside the cabin nothing happens!

If I leave the car for several weeks without use I have to open the car with the key in the lock as the fob disables, when I do that the lights flash on and off until I insert the key in the ignition but no alarm1

When I lock and unlock the car I hear the lock mechanism but no beeps.

Is all well?

How do I check the operation of the alarm?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the alarm sounder has been disconnected. With mine, opening the door after it's been in sleep mode will trigger the alarm unless you turn the key in the door to the left and back first. 

22 minutes ago, the baron said:

when I lock the car and leave the roof off and put a hand inside the cabin nothing happens!

This is “as designed” - roof off “disables” the cabin movement sensors to prevent drafts triggering the alarm. There is a Porsche clip you can source (I have one) that mimics the roof being closed which maintains the movement sensing - guess you’d use this when leaving the car roof down in an enclosed space like a garage. 

26 minutes ago, the baron said:

When I lock and unlock the car I hear the lock mechanism but no beeps  

The alarm on mine has never beeped to signal lock/unlock - if a door or compartment isn’t properly shut I do get the beep warning when locking the car from the fob. The alarm siren works though and is very piercing up close. 

29 minutes ago, the baron said:

.....leave the car for several weeks without use I have to open the car with the key in the lock as the fob disables, when I do that the lights flash on and off until I insert the key in the ignition but no alarm

If my car goes to sleep and I don’t follow the wake up process (as you describe) there’s an almighty racket. Sounds (sorry) like the alarm sounder needs looking at. 

Cant help any more than this. 

52 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

So you actually want to deafen yourself and wake up the neighbours every now and then?

No, I want to deafen the burglar and wake myself up so I can go out and shoot the scumbag 😂

41 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Does the alarm have its own battery which after 23 years might be dead?....just a thought.

Thats a good point

51 minutes ago, map said:

This is “as designed” - roof off “disables” the cabin movement sensors to prevent drafts triggering the alarm. There is a Porsche clip you can source (I have one) that mimics the roof being closed which maintains the movement sensing - guess you’d use this when leaving the car roof down in an enclosed space like a garage. 

The alarm on mine has never beeped to signal lock/unlock - if a door or compartment isn’t properly shut I do get the beep warning when locking the car from the fob. The alarm siren works though and is very piercing up close. 

If my car goes to sleep and I don’t follow the wake up process (as you describe) there’s an almighty racket. Sounds (sorry) like the alarm sounder needs looking at. 

Cant help any more than this. 

Thanks for run down, much appreciated, so it does indeed look like a have an issue, which I will now start to investigate.

28 minutes ago, the baron said:

Thanks for run down, much appreciated, so it does indeed look like a have an issue, which I will now start to investigate.

Steve, you will know when it is fixed for a spilt second or two before you eardrums fail particularly if the bonnet is open when it goes off.  Someone on here did say they keep a cloth stuffed against the alarm sounder to dampen it, which might be a good idea while you are fault finding.  The battery would only come into play to keep the alarm running if the main car battery is disconnected when the key isn't in Aux (first click) position.  This could be a good first test for you to disconnect the battery with no key in the ignition barrel, you will soon know if the alarm is working.  Have the key handy to cancel the alarm.

Do you get the well documented toot if you leave the centre console box cover open when you lock it?  If not it could be a wider problem than just the alarm.

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Steve, you will know when it is fixed for a spilt second or two before you eardrums fail particularly if the bonnet is open when it goes off.  Someone on here did say they keep a cloth stuffed against the alarm sounder to dampen it, which might be a good idea while you are fault finding.  The battery would only come into play to keep the alarm running if the main car battery is disconnected when the key isn't in Aux (first click) position.  This could be a good first test for you to disconnect the battery with no key in the ignition barrel, you will soon know if the alarm is working.  Have the key handy to cancel the alarm.

Do you get the well documented toot if you leave the centre console box cover open when you lock it?  If not it could be a wider problem than just the alarm.

Ive actually disconnected the battery several times in the past few years for different things such as swapping out the steering wheel etc, never had the alarm sound or even blip, and no when centre console is up no noise when I lock 🤔

Just now, the baron said:

I've actually disconnected the battery several times in the past few years for different things such as swapping out the steering wheel etc, never had the alarm sound or even blip, and no when centre console is up no noise when I lock 🤔

You might need to be starting under the passenger seat then....  Alternatively it could be there was an alarm fault and one of the interim owners disabled it rather than fixed it.

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You might need to be starting under the passenger seat then....  Alternatively it could be there was an alarm fault and one of the interim owners disabled it rather than fixed it.

I might need Lee at CPS for this job then as electrical's is not my thing, I will look at the fuses etc just to make sure but as you say it could be there is an underlying issue so it was disabled.

Its not that important as the car is garaged and its not exactly being driven now but not sure how it would affect my insurance. It would also be good to know that it works as I do drive it around Europe a lot.

Also you mention about 12 volt car battery disconnection which i assume-if its like my 02-you leave the ignition key in so the dashboard lights can be seen?

Have you tried NOT following that procedure with the ignition and just doing a battery disconnect?

That situation always sets the alarm in motion!

Opps I've just noticed that 1/2 cwt already made this contribution.......but it costs nothing to try.

8 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Also you mention about 12 volt car battery disconnection which i assume-if its like my 02-you leave the ignition key in so the dashboard lights can be seen?

Have you tried NOT following that procedure with the ignition and just doing a battery disconnect?

That situation always sets the alarm in motion!

Opps I've just noticed that 1/2 cwt already made this contribution.......but it costs nothing to try.

Great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ .... 🤔  As you say, costs nothing and at least someone agrees with me for validation.

I think great minds prefer to spend money on another gallon of petrol so they can drive their Boxster more.

With problems its always a good idea in the thought process to check solutions that cost nowt 1st lol

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ .... 🤔  As you say, costs nothing and at least someone agrees with me for validation.

Yep no key in ignition and battery disconnect, nowt nada...

So I will start at the alarm located next to the battery and I will also check the ECU for water damage under the passenger seat, but I don't think its that as I don't have any other electrical issues and would be surprised if its just damaged that part of the ECU.

12 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I would imagine if you have no starting issues it cant be the ECU beneath the seat as that would prevent starting surely??-I thought it contained the immobiliser electronics too?

Some circuits that go through there are lass significant.  I had an interior light/vanity light problem which traced back to a fault in that box cause by water damage but all the other circuits, fortunately, were OK.  In that case it just needed a permanent live to by pass the control box.

I am not an expert on the loom but if circuits like that go through there the signal to the alarm could also take that route.

1/2cwt...thank you for confirming my suspicions regarding the ECU-I really wasnt sure TBH.

Another possible route for water to enter is via the gland surrounding the gearbox selector cables-not unheard of apparently but not widely checked.

2 hours ago, the baron said:

Yep no key in ignition and battery disconnect, nowt nada...

So I will start at the alarm located next to the battery and I will also check the ECU for water damage under the passenger seat, but I don't think its that as I don't have any other electrical issues and would be surprised if its just damaged that part of the ECU.

Someone on the forum opened up their alarm sounder and disconnected the internal battery (I think) - will PM you with who I think it was, maybe they'll be able to help you with your quest.

Do the indicators flash, when the alarm is set off?

And easy way to test this would be to unlock the car with the key (ie, turn the key in the lock), open the car, but don't insert the ignition key. The alarm should go off in around 30 seconds. If the indicators flash (ie, the alarm goes off), it would suggest the issue is confined to the siren.

8 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Do the indicators flash, when the alarm is set off?

And easy way to test this would be to unlock the car with the key (ie, turn the key in the lock), open the car, but don't insert the ignition key. The alarm should go off in around 30 seconds. If the indicators flash (ie, the alarm goes off), it would suggest the issue is confined to the siren.

That's another good call that costs nothing but time.

8 hours ago, the baron said:

If I leave the car for several weeks without use I have to open the car with the key in the lock as the fob disables, when I do that the lights flash on and off until I insert the key in the ignition but no alarm1

Just re-read this. Suggests the system is working, but the siren isn't.

Just now, charlieboy2608 said:

We all know that the 986 can create all sorts of havoc with an ageing battery so is YOUR car battery definitely tip top?

And not just creating 12volts across the terminals!

I can confirm my battery is tip top and is on a CTEK conditioner, this is not a recent problem, its been like it for at least 7yrs and I would imagine that any battery issues would have reared its ugly head by now, battery will go 3-4wks and still happily start the car.

Archived