Locking the car with the key

Khaa1329

Just got to work, the car would not lock with the remote key (? needs a battery), I tried to lock it by inserting the key in the door but that did not work, now left it unlocked on the road.

Am I being stupid, the lock on the drivers side has been replaced so it can't be faulty. Which way do you turn the key to the lock the car?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Sounds like the lock barrel is turning independantly of the mechanism-maybe it wasnt installed correctly?

Maybe. I didn’t get it changed it was the previous owner. The central locking works from inside. I’ll change the battery tonight hopefully it’s just that 

27 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Ok...just so you are aware it would be wise to sort the opening by key issue.

It will cause all sorts of issues if the vehicle battery dies.

Thanks. Do you think anyone can look into this or do you suggest a reputable Indie? Money is tight at the moment for us all.

If you feel competent to follow YouTube as mentioned above go for it before spending any money.

You may surprise yourself and actually cure the fault.

You have nothing to lose...afterall its broken/not working anyway.

I would suggest you take pictures of anything not covered by YouTube that you touch/remove/tinker with.

Lastly good luck!

36 minutes ago, Khaa1329 said:

Battery changed and the fob now lights up. How do you code the fob after a battery replacement?

After a key fob battery change it should be plug and play.

If it's not its maybe a duff battery....or put in the wrong way eg +ve  on negative side.

You may have dislodged a button on circuit board or solder has dried out.

30 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

After a key fob battery change it should be plug and play.

If it's not its maybe a duff battery....or put in the wrong way eg +ve  on negative side.

You may have dislodged a button on circuit board or solder has dried out.

I have read elsewhere that you need to code the key by turning in the door?

11 hours ago, Khaa1329 said:

I have read elsewhere that you need to code the key by turning in the door?

I didn't need to do that when I changed my key battery.

Coding requires software .

Have you tried starting the car with the key?

For info I have a 986 so a 987 might be different?

30 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I didn't need to do that when I changed my key battery.

Coding requires software .

Have you tried starting the car with the key?

For info I have a 986 so a 987 might be different?

Yes starts all well. Frustrating as I am a key worker and need to drive to work and I can’t lock the car 

22 hours ago, Khaa1329 said:

Battery changed and the fob now lights up. How do you code the fob after a battery replacement?

No need. The chip which talks to the immobiliser is separate and doesn't use that battery.

Couple of steps for resynch. 

1.  Put the battery in fob the wrong way around.  Apparently causes a “reboot” of the fob.  Put it back the right way and try again. Didn’t work ? Yeah.  Not surprised but 

2).  Key in ignition. Turn to the “run” position (don’t start the car). Press the lock button on the key.  This syncs the key to the car.  (Both have a code that rolls each time it’s operated.  There’s a “window “ of agreement. If the button gets pressed a number of times outside of the range of the car (or if the battery goes low and it simply doesn’t “reach” the car ) then the key is too many codes different from the car.  The above sequence gets them back in sync. 

On the key in the door thing. That sound like physical/mechanical disconnect to me ( as others have said ) but be problem at a time.  

if the above doesn’t work then I am out of ideas.  

Good luck.  

Archived