AOS failed

Cjames

Afternoon all,

So on the last 5 start ups I'm getting 10-15 seconds of smoke from the exhaust and from what I'm reading its possibly the air oil separator.

Has anyone on here repla8this themselves?

I'm I better of buying a porsche one part or is the a better alternative?

Was it hard and how long did it take?

Also any tips.

Ta Craig 

20 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Not done it myself but used the guides from this book for everything that has been done on mine and they've been spot on

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/09-ENGINE-Air_Oil_Separator/09-ENGINE-Air_Oil_Separator.htm

I would highly recommend buying the book if you haven't already  :thumbsup_still:

An essential for the DIY Boxster mechanic IMHO, unless you are going to buy the more detailed Bentley workshop manual.

6 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Agreed, these 2 combined with the power of BoXa.net and you become unstoppable.... 

Not forgetting all those YouTube videos too....

Done it on a 987.1 using the guide in the aforementioned book, same part.

Not difficult, just a bit of a fiddle to get to the bottom hose and release it. I had the car on axle stands as i was doing some other work, so attacked the bottom hose from underneath but with some patients you can do it for sure. 👍

5 minutes ago, Deano37 said:

Done it on a 987.1 using the guide in the aforementioned book, same part.

Not difficult, just a bit of a fiddle to get to the bottom hose and release it. I had the car on axle stands as i was doing some other work, so attacked the bottom hose from underneath but with some patients you can do it for sure. 👍

I hope the patients were corona free 🤓

Great stuff thanks for all the advice!

lots of suction coming from the oil filler cap confirmed AOS for me so i think ill order a genuine porsche one and give it a go next weekend.

Ive not got that book, think it will be on my christmas list

4 hours ago, Cjames said:

Afternoon all,

So on the last 5 start ups I'm getting 10-15 seconds of smoke from the exhaust and from what I'm reading its possibly the air oil separator.

Has anyone on here repla8this themselves?

I'm I better of buying a porsche one part or is the a better alternative?

Was it hard and how long did it take?

Also any tips.

Ta Craig 

What year is yours? Earlier 986s can be a bit of a headache, but Porsche modified the AOS on later models which makes it significantly easier to attach.

I'd did mine a while back on my 1999 and to be honest it's a bit of a pain. Mine was particularly unpleasant as the bottom bellows hose which isn't on the later models had been leaking old oil for quite some time and made a real mess.

But it's certainly doable if you're confident with a set of spanners. 

PS I'm a cheap skate and opted for JP parts group AOS. Fingers crossed no problems with it yet!

If this is only an occurrence on a cold start, there may not be anything wrong with it.

Does it smoke when warm?

3 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

If this is only an occurrence on a cold start, there may not be anything wrong with it.

Does it smoke when warm?

I know on cold start you get a puff of white smoke due to iol sitting in the pots but no this is on every start up even when warm and ive got suction on the oil filler. Ive not thought no futher than the AOS i hope it not anything worse??

You should get a replacement bottom hose with the new AOS. This means you can cut the old bottom hose and lift AOS out. Easy to remove engine hose clamp then. Buy a spring clamp tool... Will make lots of jobs easier. However when refitting new aos, you could use a hose clamp. Pre adjust so it is a snug push fit over engine stub then tighten from underneath. 

You will likely want to take off and clean the TB and plenums. Take pictures and be careful removing as vacuum tubes and breather tubes are brittle. 

Hi

I have just changed mine and it was a bit of a PITA. And that was with the gearbox out lol. I had no smoke on startup or any symptoms, but did not like the strong suction in the crankcase.

Berni

Hi @Cjames I changed the AOS on my anniversary  and found it fiddly rather than difficult. As mentioned by @JohnnyUK buy yourself a some spring clamp pliers. As it’s almost impossible to see the bottom hose spring clip I undid all the top hoses and fixings and simply pulled the AOS off. You can then see the clips to attach your pliers to and of course you can fit the pliers to the spring clip before you reassemble it all. Makes the job a whole lot easier using these type “Draper 8793 remote hose clip pliers”. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-89793-Remote-Hose-Pliers/dp/B000PJ8GXO

On 5/11/2020 at 8:59 PM, DaveS said:

Hi @Cjames I changed the AOS on my anniversary  and found it fiddly rather than difficult. As mentioned by @JohnnyUK buy yourself a some spring clamp pliers. As it’s almost impossible to see the bottom hose spring clip I undid all the top hoses and fixings and simply pulled the AOS off. You can then see the clips to attach your pliers to and of course you can fit the pliers to the spring clip before you reassemble it all. Makes the job a whole lot easier using these type “Draper 8793 remote hose clip pliers”. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-89793-Remote-Hose-Pliers/dp/B000PJ8GXO

Cheers fella. 

Replaced the AOS this even took about 2 hours with no special tools.

managed to get the bottom clip off with finger stength but here's a top tip when i put the new one in i pinched the clip with pliers and used a small cable tie to keep the clip open and once in place i just cut it BOOM.

Archived