Coolant pipes while I am there...suggestions please

Berni29

Hi Guys

While I am waiting for various parts before I can put my Tip gearbox back in etc, I am wondering what coolant pipes I should replace (if any) while I am here. For example, I am going to make a new brake pipe that goes over the gearbox on the basis its a bit rusty and its so much easier to get to sans gearbox. 

Any coolant pipes that follow the same logic?

Many thanks

Berni

Hi

Actually you have to lock the converter in place to make sure it comes away with the gearbox when splitting from the engine (undo it from the flywheel first of course!)

I thought I had done this but the locking pin (read drill bit) I used actually missed the spot and the converter was already moving off the shaft when I pulled the box. I can imagine a scenario where if it is not locked it could stick to the flywheel enough to remain there and then fall off when the shaft is out. 

The two I have pulled off in my time have both come away very easily.

They are heavy. Do not drop!

And thanks regarding the coolant pipes. I could not really see many back there. A few small ones I shall replace.

Berni

On my 2000 model with 95K the main problem with the cooling system ahs been the spring clips fracturing on the hoses between the rads and the meatal fore/aft pipes. Fresh clips (original spring type of jubilee but make sure to align the clips so they are accessible for future changes access) to all 8 places at the front (and to centre rad if you have one) and possibly those to the rubber hoses that go up into the engine bay as well. Three of main had failed when I finally got to the root cause of coolant loss.  These will prevent annoying hard to get at leaks whilst you have it all in bits.  Whilst doing this check for any hoses hat have gone baggy or too hard and change those out.

Archived