987 Water Pump

Verner

Hi,

just had a call from my Garage to say they have found that the Water Pump on my 987 is leaking. Something I wasn't aware of, or planned for. The car was booked in for a few cosmetic bits and bobs and nothing mechanical.

I have been quoted £600.00 for a new pump fully fitted.

Does that sound about on the button? As I say, not something I had allowed for 😞

Best wishes,

Verner

16 minutes ago, Verner said:

Hi,

just had a call from my Garage to say they have found that the Water Pump on my 987 is leaking. Something I wasn't aware of, or planned for. The car was booked in for a few cosmetic bits and bobs and nothing mechanical.

Does that sound about on the button? As I say, not something I had allowed for 😞

Best wishes,

Verner

Had mine done last year. Even though i didn't have to have much coolant replaced (apparently very expensive normally due to volume needed) mine cost about £750 iirc. That included belt and rollers, which ought to be done at same time. 

29 minutes ago, Verner said:

Hi,

Best wishes,

Verner

Hi mate,have you not been losing coolant?also maybe ask if the new pump will be pierburg pump as they retail for 250£ ish so guess it’s not such a expensive quote 

2 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Hi mate,have you not been losing coolant?also maybe ask if the new pump will be pierburg pump as they retail for 250£ ish so guess it’s not such a expensive quote 

The warning light came on this morning when it was being driven to the garage for the cosmetic bit. It's just had a full Service and MOT. But I had no idea.

The garage have just sent me a video of the underneath of the car and you can certainly see where the fluid has been leaking, so I wasn't querying the fact it needed it done, I just didn't know it was as big a job. I assumed, naively that it was a quick unbolt and bolt in the new pump.

Hey, ho....she's in good hands and they will sort her. 🙂

Thanks,

Verner

Thanks. As I said, I wasn't querying the Garage who are sorting it, I just came out of the blue as she's in for some cosmetic bits, wheels refurbed and centre console colour matched to Lapis Blue Paintwork.

They will get her sorted. 🙂 

Shop around get a Pierburg pump for 160 plus coolant 35-40 quid Throw a belt in 20 quid about an hour to do seems very expensive , shame you are not on my doorstep!

Thanks to everyone for all their kind replies.

It's a huge help to someone as clueless as I.

Cheers guys,

Verner

If it’s any consolation, water pumps are considered a consumable on Boxsters so if you’re keeping the car for a few years it may have been a job you would end up doing anyhow.

At least now it’s done & you can enjoy the car with one less spend to worry about.

When I bought the boxster I have now the guy I bought it from was convinced the engine was making weird noises and with all the IMS and bore scoring articles wanted it gone.   The water pump and freewheel pulley were the problem.  If you know what you’re listening for amongst all the other noises it’s easy to diagnose. 

On 6/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, Verner said:

Hi,

Best wishes,

Verner

Looking at an invoice for water pump replacement on my 987.1 last year, it was £709 inc VAT. Breakdown below

987 Water pump replacement

Drained coolant and removed water pump. 2.50 85.00 212.50

Installed new water pump and gasket.

Replaced auxilliary drive belt.

Refilled and bled cooling system.

Road tested and checked heater operation.

Labour Sub Total 212.50

Parts

99710601106 Water pump 1.00 257.73 257.73

99710634000 Water pump gasket 1.00 8.66 8.66

99610632650 Thermostat gasket 1.00 5.18 5.18

99610215166 Drive belt, alternator with a/c 1.00 32.00 32.00

99610644704 Coolant Cap 1.00 15.09 15.09

00004330516 Coolant 1 Litre 6.00 10.07 60.42

Archived